What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula SE (1 Viewer)

Tom Stolz

Auditioning
I know it's been a long coming SE that a lot of people have been waiting for, but does anyone have a clue to what exactly is the content of this edition and possibly when it will be available? Any info...

Rolando

Screenwriter
I would buy it in a heart beat but I am afraid this most likely got canned to have the superbit edition instead...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm still holding out. I understand that a SE Laser disc was released with a fantastic documentary. Maybe a lucky LD owner can shed light on what we're missing?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I havent heard anything on a SE for this. I would love to have one.I really want to see some of the cut footage like the Brides chasing Harker through the castle.
Im pretty sure the Making Of that was on the Laser is the same as HBOs and thats on the DVD I think.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I own the Criterion laserdisc. Features on this are:
  • Commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola, special effects supervisor Roman Coppola, and makeup supervisor Greg Cannom.
  • The Dracula Legend
  • Editing Dracula with interactive "hands on" editing workshop.
  • Cinefex: Dracula's effects scene-by-scene
  • Separate presentation of complete music and sound effects track.
  • Extensive still-frame section with behind the scenes photos, production stories, original storyboards, special effects analysis, costume design analysis, and more
  • Video documentary on Dracula's production.
  • Original theatrical trailer.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

The columbia LD has the 1/2 hour HBO making of. As far as I know, thats it for documentaries produced for this film. I hope someone can prove me wrong, beccause I would love to have something more. The Criterion LD (I own it) contains a portion of said documentary.

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator
WOW:

No news yet for Dracula SE!! i really want this film in 2 disc set. Anybody? Any news?

Have a nice day!

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I have a (shhh) VHS copy of the Criterion laser disc (I didn't own a laser disc player back then but a roommate did and I copied his disc, item for item, on two tapes), not so much because of the image quality (which I knew would suffer, although not horribly; it's watchable), but for all the extras. I'm glad I held onto it. It is, quite honestly, what should be on any SE DVD of the film, if not more.

I'd venture a good guess that Sony/Columbia's going to release a Blu-Ray version of it sometime in the next few years, possibly with even more extras than on the Criterion (if there are any to be had). That's just me, but that'd be what I'd put my money on. And obviously, that single Blu-Ray disc would be packed with the goodies and would look extraordinary, which is really the kind of presentation the film deserves.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Seeing as Columbia licensed Criterion's Holy Grail commentary track, it's not inconcievable that we'll see the same supplements appearing on any new DVD (including the full-length documentary, hopefully).

Haden

Supporting Actor
Seeing Van Helsing today made me long for Bram Stoker's Dracula even more. Every few months I'm reminded of that persistent 3 yr old rumor of a special edition in the works. It pisses me off that we've waited this long and still haven't been given the DVD.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
If you dont own it, the Superbit is awesome
I've still got the original release with it's zero-generation 'menus' (almost funny), but the PQ isn't bad.

Passed on SB because, like many other SBs, it was just re-encoded rather than re-transferred.

Although the original probably isn't dual-layered, I suppose.

Funny how twice the available data doesn't always make for clearly greater PQ.

LD extras are cool, like when Oldman demands the Batsuit be created or talks about where he summons his emotion for acting.

If they pair the SB disc with an extras disc in an SE, I may upgrade.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
LD extras are cool, like when Oldman demands the Batsuit be created or talks about where he summons his emotion for acting.
My favorite bit is where he flubs a reading during rehearsal and he SMACKS his head with his hand multiple times - HARD - and says, "f**cking LINES, MAN!!" Winona just stands there, stunned. Priceless!
Cheers,

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I heard the film originally had an X or NC-17 rating...film was cut up a lot...can anyone confirm this? If so, it would be nice to have a different cut available.

Mike

DanR

Supporting Actor
This film desperately needs a new transfer! Of course by the time Columbia get's around to it, you might as well wait for the eventual 720p BD-DVD version.
Now THERE'S an idea. Bram Stoker's Dracula in 720p...where do I sign? ;)
Regards,
Dan

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Dracula was indeed cut, for an R rating & also due to negative previews. The brides decapitations were removed due to neg previews, that much I do know.

With that in mind, I would only buy if the SE included an alternative longer & bloodier cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks