What's new

750 dvds from Shaw Brothers HK are coming (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm
Hong Kong-based Shaw Brothers Studio, one of Asia's most prolific producers of genre films since the late 1950s, will see 750 of its more popular movies come to DVD for the first time. Built by Sir Run Run Shaw in 1958, the 2 million-square-foot Shaw Brothers Studio is a renowned producer of martial arts and adventure films. The first batch of discs, due December 5th, will include The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Blood Brothers, Come Drink With Me, The Empress Dowager, Hong Kong Nocturne, The Kingdom and the Beauty, and Let's Make Laugh. The releases follow the acquisition of the Shaw titles in 2000 by Celestial Pictures Ltd., a company set up specifically for the purpose of acquiring the films, restoring them and distributing them on DVD. Celestial is now in the later stages of a three-year restoration of the negatives for the films.*(thanks to Video Business Magazine)
That is an enormous amount to be released.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant tell you how much I LOVE these films. I grew up watching them and still have all the old tapes I made during the early 80s. Ive been buying the DVDs (I had a orgasm in Media Play when I saw Avenging Eagle sitting on the shelf one day) but heard they were being remastered.

5 Deadly Venoms, Avenging Eagle, Death Camber, Invincible Shoalin,Savage 5...etc - cant wait!!!

GREAT GREAT NEWS.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know anything about this Celestial Pictures group? Do they have the resources to back up their plans for these movies? I'm very happy about the news but I'm just hoping these movies get the treatment they deserve.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I could give you some long-winded explanation involving "the subversion of conventional standards of cinematic quality" or something like that, but really, the main reason is that they're bad. Really bad. Actually a few are pretty good by any standard but most are strictly Z-grade stuff that would be perfect MST3K fodder. Which is why I love them ;)

Henry Woo

Agent
I believe it when I see those dvds on the store shelves. I have been waiting so long for these movies finally to be officially released. The news still doesn't offer much details but I would be the first in line for at least "36th Chamber of Shaolin" and maybe "Blood Brothers" on December 5th. I am usually a stickler for as much extras as possible on dvd releases but for these movies, I would settle for the original cut of the movies with original soundtrack remastered for picture and sound, with English subtitles. Any trailers and anything else would be a bonus.

I believe these releases would expose a new generation of fans to the martial arts masterpieces of Liu Chia-liang, Chang Cheh and Sun Chung and give these master filmmakers the credit that they are long over due.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks