What's new

NAD 370 Integrated Amplifier (1 Viewer)

Maza

Auditioning
One question regarding the NAD 370 integradted amplifier (or any 2-channel amplifier for that matter). Can you connect the pre-amplifier outputs from your AV Receiver directly into the 370?, or does it have to be connected directly with tha CD Player or tape outputs form the receiver?.
I would appreciate any comments on this because I am thinking of different options for my current setup. my main concern is two channel music listening, for which the 370 appears to be an exclellent option, but would like to use that same amplification for movies as well, so if what I am asking is possible, I could connect the CD player directly to the 370 (without any processing for SACD) and I would also connect the pre-amp outputs for better amplification in movies. With this solution, I would not have the problem of different amplifiers for the same pair of speakers.
Thanks,
Maza

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I have the NAD C340, and assuming the C370 doesn't have a different hookup scheme...
I could connect the CD player directly to the 370 (without any processing for SACD) and I would also connect the pre-amp outputs for better amplification in movies
Are you planning to connect your receiver's preamp outputs to a line input on the C370, or directly to the main amp inputs? There are preamp out/main amp in connections on the C370, which are connected using jumpers. If you remove those, you effectively de-couple the preamp and main amp.
So, you could go that route, and hook up your receiver's preouts to the C370's main ins. However, then you're not using the C370's preamp section, and you would probably be better off buying a power amp, instead of an integrated.
Alternatively, you could hook up your receiver's preouts to a line level input on the NAD. This should work, you might have to play withlevels a bit to make sure you're not overloading anything. However, you'll always have teh headache of matching levels between your front mains and the rest of the speakers, because I don't think the NAD has a digital volume control, so you won't have any way of setting the volume on that accurately.
Hope that helps :)

Maza

Auditioning
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
So, you could go that route, and hook up your receiver's preouts to the C370's main ins. However, then you're not using the C370's preamp section, and you would probably be better off buying a power amp, instead of an integrated.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I think this is my best route, but just to be clear:
Line In: You use pre-amp on the 370 and given that, you have volume control.
Main in: You do not use pre-amp section on 370, so the volume is controled through the receiver.
So I connect the CD player to the 370 Line in and control volume on the 370. Then connect the receivers pre-out to the Main in and use the receiver's volume.
Speakers are only connected to the 370.
Is that right?
My reason for doing this is because for future upgrades (SACD, analog direct) and also for better quality two channel music, I think the 370 is a good opotion.
Another route would be to upgrade my receiver to have analog pass through and more power, but that seems more expensive to me and unnecesary for my personal use, because to me movies sound fine with my current receiver. It is just the music that I want to upgrade.
Does that make sense?
Maza

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't think that's right. Here's the problem that I can see - you can have either the C370's preamp outputs connected to the main amp in, or your receiver's preamp outputs connected there. How do you plan to connect both? As far as I can see, it's an either/or situation, you cannot use both preamps. Of course, you could swap cables every time you change from music to movies and vice versa. Or, you could get a line level selector box (I'm sure someone makes one), but then you'd lose the sound quality improvement by hooking up your music source direct to teh NAD - I'm guessing this is why you want to do this in the first place.
So I connect the CD player to the 370 Line in and control volume on the 370. Then connect the receivers pre-out to the Main in and use the receiver's volume.
This is the part where I have my doubts. Note, this might still work - some integrateds have the preamp/amp connected internally as well as through external RCA's, and you can switch between the two. If that's the case here, your hookup would still work, and you'd have to switch between the two connections. But, AFAIK, for the NAD the only connection between the preamp and main amp is the preout/main-in jumper.
I think you'll have to go the other route - use the line inputs on the NAD, and manually adjust volume when you're watching movies.

Maza

Auditioning
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------
That's correct, with one addition - if you use the line in, the volume controls on both the receiver and the C370 will be functional.
----------------------------------------------------------
I understand, but I was planning on connecting the CD player, which does nota have volume control.
I was unaware that you needed to hook up (externally) the pre-amplifier section to the amplifier section, I was asuming that connections were internal.
If that is the case then I would not be able to use the Main in other than to connect the pre-amplifier section to the apmplifier section.
In any case you mention that I CAN connect the pre-outs of my receiver to the Line input of the 370, given that I would need to adjust volume on both, which is not that important to me because I am not that critical for movies.
Thanks again,
Maza

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Maza, I'd love to add to this discussion as I have an NAD C 370 (saw your Private Message), but I have not played with the amp inputs and I am not home to consult the manual. At this point, I use my C 370 and A/V receiver independently. The C 370 is used for all stereo music sources, and the A/V receiver is used for all surround-sound applications as well as VHS tapes.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Maza

Auditioning
That would be my question as well, do you have separate sets of speakers for both applications, form your website, it appears that you only have one pair of main speakers.
The other question would be, do you connect the pre-out of the 370 to the Main In of the 370 externally (with RCA cables) or is this done internally.
How does your 370 compare to the performance of your A/V receiver for music (2 Channel)?
Thanks,
Maza

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Maza and Saurav,
At this point, I have only one pair of speakers. Since I use banana plugs to terminate my speaker wires, it takes two seconds for me to switch between amps. I realize this is not ideal, but I haven't gotten around to looking into use of the amp inputs on the C 370. Also, I have considered getting a different pair of speakers for music. At this point in time, however, I am very happy with the performance of the Energy e:XL 16s for music.
Maza,
I much prefer the NAD C 370 for stereo music over my Sony STR-V444ES receiver. For a mid-priced A/V receiver, the 'V444ES is good for music, but I will take a dedicated stereo amp for music any day. At the $1000 price point with A/V receivers (retail price of the 'V444ES), you generally don't get the beefy power supply of a good stereo amp. The C 370 has a large toroidal power supply, the 'V444ES doesn't. Also, there are typically other compromises on the music side of things with an A/V receiver.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I much prefer the NAD C 370 for stereo music over my Sony STR-V444ES receiver.
I switched from a $200 Onkyo stereo receiver to the NAD C340 (both 50 wpc), and found a pretty dramatic improvement in sound quality. Extrapolating from that, I would similarly expect the C370 to be better than an average equally-powered HT receiver.

Maza

Auditioning
KeithH:
I understand now, this way it makes sense. However, if it is not to much to ask, when you have time to look into the manual (or try it) let me know if the suggested hookup is possible. In particular, the question is if the Main In is being used to connect the 370 pre-amp section to the amp section. If not, would another source be possible to connect (like the AV receiver preouts to the Main In, so I would have a Line In connected to the CD Player and the Main In connected to the AV Receiver pre-out.
The thing is, to be connecting different cables to the speakers to listen to different sources is probably something tham my wife would not appreciate. :)
Saurav,
Thanks for everything, you have been very helpful.
Maza

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome. I agree, switching cables to listen to different sources is too much work for lazy ol' me :) If I were you, I'd put the receiver outputs to a line in on the NAD, and spend the extra few seconds balancing volume when watching a movie. But then, I'm a 2-channel kind of a guy (I don't even have a DVD player or receiver), so what do I know about the importance of 5-speaker calibration. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks