-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVD Audio/SACD Bass Management

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Bob Sa

Bob Sa

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 02:36 AM

I hope this isn't a question answered in the FAQ- I've searched there unsuccessfully.

My receiver (Yamaha RX-Z1) does not do bass management on 6-channel inputs.

I'm thinking of buying a DVD player that plays DVD audio and SACD as well. According to the Pioneer 47a and Marantz 8300 owner's manuals (which I downloaded from their web sites):

"When listening to a DVD audio source the center/LS/RS speakers will be automatically set to large independent of the configuration set in the DVD player." (that's a paraphrase of their language).

Several questions:

1. Is this also the case for SACD playback?

2. Why would they do that?

3. I understand there are outrigger bass management devices (I've seen the acronym ICBM- is that what that is?) and what does the acronym stand for?

4. Any recommendations on such a device?

Please don't tell me to get large surround speakers- my wife is on the edge of domestic tranquility and that would probably get us in front of Judge Judy!

Sheesh- stereo was so simple.

Cheers, and thanks!

#2 of 4 Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 06:45 AM

Outlaw Audio is the maker/seller of the ICBM. Check out their website. Cost is $250. I keep thinking of getting one myself, but just haven't yet. Other posts have indicated a very postive experience.

#3 of 4 Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 09:54 AM

Currently, there is no DVD player that does digital bass management (speaker size, speaker position, cutoff frequency) on DVD-Audio. You can get gear that will do analog bass management, not including speaker distance.

The upcoming Samsung DVD-P921 and Samsung HD-1000 will include bass management on DVD-Audio.

#4 of 4 Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted July 31 2002 - 10:13 AM

Quote:
Currently, there is no DVD player that does digital bass management (speaker size, speaker position, cutoff frequency) on DVD-Audio

Yes there are the Denon 3800/9000!
Though they don't play SACD.
The ICBM is your best bet if you're not requiering speaker dietance setting.