What's new

DVD Audio/SACD Bass Management (1 Viewer)

Bob Sa

Auditioning
I hope this isn't a question answered in the FAQ- I've searched there unsuccessfully.

My receiver (Yamaha RX-Z1) does not do bass management on 6-channel inputs.

I'm thinking of buying a DVD player that plays DVD audio and SACD as well. According to the Pioneer 47a and Marantz 8300 owner's manuals (which I downloaded from their web sites):

"When listening to a DVD audio source the center/LS/RS speakers will be automatically set to large independent of the configuration set in the DVD player." (that's a paraphrase of their language).

Several questions:

1. Is this also the case for SACD playback?

2. Why would they do that?

3. I understand there are outrigger bass management devices (I've seen the acronym ICBM- is that what that is?) and what does the acronym stand for?

4. Any recommendations on such a device?

Please don't tell me to get large surround speakers- my wife is on the edge of domestic tranquility and that would probably get us in front of Judge Judy!

Sheesh- stereo was so simple.

Cheers, and thanks!

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Outlaw Audio is the maker/seller of the ICBM. Check out their website. Cost is $250. I keep thinking of getting one myself, but just haven't yet. Other posts have indicated a very postive experience.

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
Currently, there is no DVD player that does digital bass management (speaker size, speaker position, cutoff frequency) on DVD-Audio. You can get gear that will do analog bass management, not including speaker distance.

The upcoming Samsung DVD-P921 and Samsung HD-1000 will include bass management on DVD-Audio.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Currently, there is no DVD player that does digital bass management (speaker size, speaker position, cutoff frequency) on DVD-Audio
Yes there are the Denon 3800/9000!
Though they don't play SACD.
The ICBM is your best bet if you're not requiering speaker dietance setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks