DVD Audio/SACD Bass Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Sa, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Bob Sa

Bob Sa Auditioning

I hope this isn't a question answered in the FAQ- I've searched there unsuccessfully.

My receiver (Yamaha RX-Z1) does not do bass management on 6-channel inputs.

I'm thinking of buying a DVD player that plays DVD audio and SACD as well. According to the Pioneer 47a and Marantz 8300 owner's manuals (which I downloaded from their web sites):

"When listening to a DVD audio source the center/LS/RS speakers will be automatically set to large independent of the configuration set in the DVD player." (that's a paraphrase of their language).

Several questions:

1. Is this also the case for SACD playback?

2. Why would they do that?

3. I understand there are outrigger bass management devices (I've seen the acronym ICBM- is that what that is?) and what does the acronym stand for?

4. Any recommendations on such a device?

Please don't tell me to get large surround speakers- my wife is on the edge of domestic tranquility and that would probably get us in front of Judge Judy!

Sheesh- stereo was so simple.

Cheers, and thanks!

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Outlaw Audio is the maker/seller of the ICBM. Check out their website. Cost is $250. I keep thinking of getting one myself, but just haven't yet. Other posts have indicated a very postive experience.

3. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

Currently, there is no DVD player that does digital bass management (speaker size, speaker position, cutoff frequency) on DVD-Audio. You can get gear that will do analog bass management, not including speaker distance.

The upcoming Samsung DVD-P921 and Samsung HD-1000 will include bass management on DVD-Audio.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer