What's new

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN pre-release discussion (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
From a Fox press release:

The more I hear about this movie, the more excited I get. I gotta pick up the novel!

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
After the huge fiscal success of recent comic adapted films, I don't understand why Fox would feel the need to play word games to avoid putting "comic book" in the PR.

Looking forward to the teaser, then a full trailer.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Coincidentally, Volume 2, Issue 1 of the comic just came out recently. Check it out! Martians!
Pretty amazing how they combined seemingly every major fantasy depiction of Mars into one continuity. Such a cool series. If only it could come out more regularly :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly, the reason for the long delay between Volume One and Volume 2 is so that Kevin O'Neill could get far enough ahead that it can come out monthly.
I wonder how far Norrington & company are going to go in terms of cramming details into corners. Moore and O'Neill went positively insane with it. Regardless, this is something I'm looking forward to, big-time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here's a little news on this from the inside.

A good friend of mine is actually one of the co-producers on this film and works very closely with Don Murphy (whom I have met a few times..what a character!).

He just got back from a month long stay in Prague and told me that shooting actually began about a month ago and things are going great. He had dinner with Sean Connery and said he was one of the coolest people you would ever want to meet. He is said to be great in the film, which he thinks will be a huge hit.

Has anyone read the screenplay? He is sending it out to me today. Can't wait to read it.:b

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
The Gentlemen comic book is a rousing adventure tale, IMHO, mixing wicked humor and excellent action with some neat plot twists and some rather shocking character actions; for instance:
one of the Gentlemen kills a policeman just for the heck of it
I think it's a testament to Alan Moore's writing that he can take a group of tortured individuals--almost all of whom have a serious psychological/mental problem--and turn them into a group of heroes you can root for.
The book was published in a collected hardcover edition, which has recently gone OOP. However, there will be a TPB edition coming out in September, I believe. Can't recommend it enough.
On the topic of the movie: while reading the book, I thought to myself that if Stephen Norrington sticks closely to the source material, there is LITERALLY no way he can screw it up. However, with the addition of characters like Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer(!), I'm starting to get a little worried. But I'll be optimistic.
And kudos to whomever cast Connery as Allan Quartermain. Genius! :)

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
I don't have a source for this, but I recall reading an interview with Moore when he mentioned Gray and Sawyer were written out of the comic, but were there in earlier drafts. Don't forget, Tom Sawyer became a detective later in life!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Good luck finding it at a b&m store, Scott! :) These suckers are rare...and expect to pay anywhere from 20 to 40 bucks for a copy online. If you can tough it out, wait for the TPB coming out in September.
You can whet your appetite by picking up the first installment of Vol. 2, which should be quite cheap and available at most bookstores that also sell comics. Based on that issue, it looks like Vol. 2 will be an even better tale than Vol. 1!
Steve: interesting info on the book, I was not aware of that! Though I doubt Moore had any input with the film adaptation, perhaps Norrington had access to deleted material?
Oh, and some useless trivia for y'all: for Jason Flemyng--who plays Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde--this will be his second appearance in a film adaptation of Moore's works. He also played Jack the Ripper's slow-witted accomplice Netley in From Hell, which was based on Moore's graphic novel (another highly recommended book).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I could just pretend to know but you guys know me too well for that. ;)
What's "TPB"?
(Also, can someone let me know how many incarnations/versions/editions of the book are out? I suspect just the one, but me dumb.)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
TPB = "Trade Paperback" It's a publishing term for a softcover book printed at a larger-than-mass-market size.

So far, there's been the six issues of Volume 1 printed individually, reprints with two issues apiece, a very nice-looking hardcover volume, and a forthcoming TPB (same size as the HC, just without the, um, hard cover) Just this past week, the first issue of Volume 2 was released.

The hardcover isn't that difficult to find; I'm pretty sure i've seen it at a shop or two in the past month.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
In so many words Scott, yes.

EDIT: If you do find a hardcover edition, snag it; they are starting to become collectors' items.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
On the topic of the movie: while reading the book, I thought to myself that if Stephen Norrington sticks closely to the source material, there is LITERALLY no way he can screw it up. However, with the addition of characters like Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer(!), I'm starting to get a little
worried. But I'll be optimistic.
I don't mind the additions of characters since I think it's within the spirit of the comic to add characters like that ( I believe the first series contains a reference to Dorian Gray, even though he doesn't actually appear). What worries me is that I've read script reviews that indicate that certain characters are being altered and compromised in order to make the story more "Hollywood". I'm very much looking forward to the movie and I really want it to be good but I'm also just a bit leery of it not turning out well, especially since I wasn't very happy with From Hell, which Murphy also produced.
Re: the collected editions, I've been confused - do either the hardback or tpb contain the text story that ran in the comics featuring the time travellers? I've heard conflicting statements about that. I'm going to get the tpb when it comes out but I'll always hang onto my single issues just because I love the Victorian magazine ads and even the letter pages are hilarious :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Let us know what you think of the script, Tino!

Frankly, I'm apprehensive of this production. They won't/can't be too faithful to the comic book, and the proof is in the new additions we've already seen.

I also feel the comic story is not very cinematic. I would change many things as I'm sure they will. I just hope they make good changes! So often, they don't.

As long as they keep Moriarty as the villain, they're off to the right start!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Quentin
As soon as I get the script and read it, I will post my thoughts here. I know virtually nothing about the comics so I am eager to read it.
I remember talking to Don Murphy just before From Hell came out and I wished him luck with it, and he said something like "I dunno Tino, you might hate it!"
He was right!:D
This one sounds very promising though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks