What's new

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN pre-release discussion (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
O.K., my brother is awake now and called me with his follow up.:)
He basically said that The League Of Extraordinay Gentlemen is a solid :star::star::star: film with plenty of action, great FX, and a good story. His slight problems with it was some of the pacing produced a few dull stretches. However he said that it was necessary since many characters were being introduced. Also a few scenes were "clunky". Overall he enjoyed it very much and expects to like it more when he sees it again.
A cool thing that happened to him was that he literally bumped into Sean Connery who was very gracious to him and then proceeded to look his girfriend up and down and say "She's with you? Veddy nice lad!" "He's such an old dog" my brother said affectionately.
Another interesting thing he told me was that he was hanging out with James Robinson who wrote the screenplay and they were discussing the boxoffice potential of The League. Basically Robinson said that they were expecting to come in #2 behind Pirates Of The Carribean which is fine considering the big openings and huge dropoffs of certain films of late. Their plan is to open good, have legs and sustain good numbers throughout the summer. He is already at work on a sequel.
The entire cast and crew were there except the director, Stephen Norrington, who apparently is still upset with everybody. Nonetheless, it seems as though a good film has emerged amid all the turmoil.
We'll know for sure once the HTF crew gets a look.;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Stephen Norrington, who apparently is still upset with everybody
For some reason the image of him sitting out the premeire of the film just makes me laugh. Seems a bit childish at this point. I can see not wanting to work with people, but a free party in which people are celebrating your effort, you have to have a stick up your ass to skip that.
Go drink, there's time to be mad again tomorrow. :)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Have you heard of "The Picture Of Dorian Grey"?

As for LXG.... Production wise, this film is there!

The few dull stretches, you will fine are there for reasons... These so called "dull stretches" are important to the climax of the film....

Because.... during these "dull stretches" clues are being dropped as to the overall motivation of the villain.

nuff said.

Dugger

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Gad, I never saw myself as the whining fan boy (having made fun of those who complained about Faramir in LOTR or the Hulk's size in The Hulk) but dang, on this movie I am. This isn't to say that I won't enjoy the movie. I probably will. I am a sucker for comic book adaptations (except for Daredevil...yeesh) and period pieces and this one LOOKS good. It is fairly easy for folks who never read the comic to say "see the film, then criticize it" and that is fine. But I guarantee, the legion of X-Men fans would have been miffed a bit if the original movie took such a huge liberty with one of the main characters. What if they decided to cross gender with Wolverine and make Logan a woman? Or what if they pronounced Charles' name as "Ex-avier" instead of how it is supposed to be pronounced...oh wait, sorry, that did happen. :D What if they gave superpowers to Batman since it is unlikely people would buy into just a guy out for revenge who uses physical prowess, gadgets and wit to fight crime? It is a huge shift and just because the readership isn't as huge as X-Men, it doesn't mean it isn't important. That's all I am saying. I am sure DC is hoping to get some new fans for the comic after the movie comes out. I wonder if they will start getting letters complaining that the vampire lady isn't using her powers in the book and why is Quartermain such a stoner? :) There, the last bitch. I will wait patiently for the movie to continue.
I think.
Phil

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe Phil, since major liberties with main characters was what the whole Faramir controversy is all about I guess this means it's humble pie time. ;)
I an see where you come from though.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Having loosely followed the film's development, I have to say I'm not enthused about seeing it. I'm a big fan of the comic, and while I hardly expect Hollywood to duplicate precisely what was in the print version, I don't feel like they had to bastardize it to the point they apparently have. Many of the things I like about the comic were apparently the non-commercial bits; like Quartermain being a wasted, frail junkie (aside here-can Connery please stop trying to pretend he's still an action star?); Mina as the leader, and so on. While this may be a typical summer blockbuster, it looks like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in name only, certainly not in spirit.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Tom Sawyer as portrayed is NOT of the correct time period for this film; Twain, who wrote the book in 1876, commented that it was to have taken place "thirty to forty years ago," which would have made Tom well into his 50s or 60s at the time of the movie. Not that most people will know or care, but it shows a general ignorance about the film's literary origins that is not surprising.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Because.... during these "dull stretches" clues are being dropped as to the overall motivation of the villain.
Picture me pointing and screaming at you ala Donald Southerland at the end of the Body Snatchers remake..."SPOILER!!!!"
;):D
j/k, that was harmless
Dorian Gray - IIRC he did a deal to stay young forever by letting his painted portrait age for him. I have never read the book though, but now I'm motivated (The Picture of Dorian Gray I mean).
(time passes) - well what do you know, I looked it up and found a free copy online here
That link points to chapter one with the links to the other chapters at the top, including the preface.
All this time I never realized this was an Oscar Wilde novel. Boy do I feel ignant.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Tom Sawyer as portrayed is NOT of the correct time period for this film; Twain, who wrote the book in 1876, commented that it was to have taken place "thirty to forty years ago," which would have made Tom well into his 50s or 60s at the time of the movie. Not that most people will know or care, but it shows a general ignorance about the film's literary origins that is not surprising.
Ack! That hadn't occurred to me (it's been ages since I read Tom Sawyer) but that's not good. Or maybe Tom took a detour sometime in his life and found Ayesha's fountain of youth. Nah, I doubt it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks