What's new

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN pre-release discussion (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Any more bits on this? I read the cast list on IMDb and freaked out again how so unlike the book it is looking. I think the reason why they boiled down the cast list was because each character had 1) a tragic flaw and 2) something to do for the "team." Tom Sawyer, while nifty in idea, has little in the way of demons to be exploited by Campion Bond, at least I would think so. And the "action guy" role is being filled already by Nemo and Quartermain. Dorian Grey...er...why? And then the spookiest...Dante!? Er...he'd be quite old, dontcha think?

Okay, sure it is a comic book..but the story was thick and deep enough with the existing cast. To throw in the apparently immortal Dante, while cool if a part of a new story, does nothing (yet, I suppose) to add to the whole M plotline. Sheesh. Stick to what's there.

Phil

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, my friend sent me the screenplay about a month ago, but I haven't had the time to read it yet. It's the final shooting draft dated late June 2002 I believe.

I think I will read it this coming week.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Crikey! So it is only League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in title only? :angry: No wonder Alan Moore doesn't go to see his books as adaptations. Sheesh.
But Dante??
Phil

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Shooting did begin about a month, I saw pics from the set on Comics Continuum(I think) weeks ago.
I have high hopes for this one. But I really wish Monica Bellucci didnt pull out of the running for Mina Harker:frowning::frowning:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Now if someone were making a movie of The League of Gentleman, I’d really get excited.
Of course it would not draw much of a crowd, being only a local show for local people. :D :D

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
There's an interesting article on the production of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the current edition of "Entertainment Weekly" (w/ Harry Potter on the cover). Turns out shooting this film has been rather hellish. Some "highlights" from the article:
Director Stephen Norrington (Blade) and Sean Connery have been fighting with each other constantly over every aspect of the film. They even once came to blows, according to the article.
Norrington reportedly shut down the entire production for the day because a prop gun "didn't look quite right."
The general feeling on the set appears to be one of misery and tension.
Norrington is apparently doing several different setups, experimenting visually, and changing "things on the spot." This is not making Connery or the crew happy.
The flood in Prague destroyed nearly $7 million worth of sets.
There is a tentative release date of July 2003.
Connery speaks in the article, but Norrington is refusing to talk to any journalists about the problems. I'm still hoping for the best, and also hoping that the apparent on-the-fly filmmaking and conflicts doesn't show on the screen.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The premise has always intrigued me, and despite the set horror stories I think the trailer keeps up that promise. It's so hard to tell at times, but one very positive thing is the idea of a truly eclectic group of heroes.

I suspect that this is the big summer hit that has been overshadowed by Hulk, Matrix and ROTK discussion.

Rollo Lee

Agent
This looks like it could be great. I've loved the Norrington films that I've seen (all 2 of them). He has a strong vision and I'm excited to see what he does with this material. Regarding the behind-the-scenes troubles, it sounds like everything Norrington has done to piss people off was in service of the movie rather than some irrelevant ego thing. What more can you ask for? I'd rather the movie be good even if it means ruining the cast/crew's chance for an easy paid vacation in Prague.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
The trailer definately shows some promise, I just wish it was available in a higher quality version. I'm actually looking forward to this movie now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, a friend with a connection to the film's production assured me that all the set horror stories were true (like the fighting). But despite that he (the inside guy) thinks it came out pretty solid. Based on the trailer I can see that, though it's still hard to tell at this point.

Also, for a DVD version of the trailer make sure to pick up the Fox Demo DVD #3 (free with X-Men 1.5 or some other Fox purchases. I got mine at Best Buy).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seth
Your friend sounds cool!;)
I read this screenplay a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Very smart, witty and "Raiders" like. Full of spectacular action set pieces. I predict it will be a smash summer hit.
And yes, all the on set turmoil stories are true, but in the end, the near finished film kicks ass and the visual effects will be spectacular....or so I am told.
We will all know how Extraordinary these Gentleman (and Gentleladies) are on July 11, 2003.:)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am assuming folks that are excited about the movie aren't fans of the comic in the least bit. While the trailer had the comicbookmoviesheen to it that is required today, it (to paraphrase Douglas Adams) looked almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the comic book. I mean, I was okay with some of the liberties but setting it apparently in the early 20th century (nice car...car!??!) is ugly. Nazi looking guys with submachine guns looks ugly. Mina Harker an out and out vampire with all the bells and whistles (!!)
vs. the chilly and powerful presence in the comic (who only recently hinted at what happened to her in during the incident with Dracula without turning into a cloud of bats). Tom frickin' Sawyer? I was okay with that, as the time periods meshed, but sheesh. It is looking like a property that got lost in the Hollywood shuffle.

This isn't just a comic book fanboy rant. I am cool with such movies but this comic lived as a testement to the time period's pulp heroes, not some easily moved concept or easily re-interpreted concept like Hulk, Daredevil, Spidey, etc. I mean, they could take the premise and put it in a different time period but then use pulp heroes from that time period! Want to do the 20's, use The Shadow, Green Hornet, Sam Spade (that later?) or some such. Sheesh.

(/fanboy rant)

Phil

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Gentlemen said:
Norrington--like any filmmaker or writer--is under no obligation to make a slavish adaptation of previously available material. As long as it retains the spirit of the comic, then he can make all the changes he wants.
Besides Phil, look at the bright side; with the release of the film, the comic will most likely see several new readers (and future Moore fans). :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I guess I would be fine with a whole storyline outside of the two existing ones, but the changes in two things don't make any sense. Mina Harker disturbed me the most. I can completely see the board room decision to vamp her up. Being just a strong woman isn't enough, I suppose. The time period doesn't make sense, either, as the characters were products of a certain age...namely, pre-20th Century.

True, Norrington isn't required to make a slavish adaptation. In fact, he doesn't even have to make a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at all! That would be fine. If one is going to make LOEG, though, keeping SOME of the period flavor, literary references, etc. would be nice. And I am not being critical for Alan Moore's sake. He said in an interview he could care less what they do when they pay for his stuff. I don't think he even saw "From Hell." I guess if one is doing a story about Victorian era heroes, one would at LEAST set it in Victorian London.

I would have thought a show with the tone of Jeremy Brett era Holmes would have been more appropriate. Less like Batman and Avengers and more like...er...Gangs of New York or some such.

And if there are fans to the movie, they are going to be sorely disappointed when they read the comic book. Wordy, detailed art, period historical and literature references.

Oh well. Maybe I will be surprised. I hate to be a naysayer (like folks were before X-Men, Spidey, etc.) but this one just rings untrue to me.

Excelsior!

Phil

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The time period doesn't make sense, either, as the characters were products of a certain age...namely, pre-20th Century.
I think it is still the Victorian period. The idea for the cars and machine guns was mostly because the characters are supposed to be technologically advanced, so they're using stuff that won't be invented for years. I don't think it's very imaginative - and hopefully the plot doesn't concern building an atomic bomb ;) - but I think that's what the filmmakers were going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks