Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Which DVD-Audio Disks Do You Recommend?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Guest_Will_*

Guest_Will_*

Posted November 14 2001 - 08:42 PM

Hello, I recently got a Panasonic RP-91 player and so naturally I'd like to hear some DVD-Audio! Which DVD-Audio disks do you guys recommend, to start with? And where should I go to buy the DVD-A's online? Thanks again! Will

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   David Albrecht

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted November 14 2001 - 09:06 PM

I would recommend picking an album you already know and love. It will be like hearing it again for the first time.

DVD Planet seems to have the best prices on pre-orders, but try using DVD price search first.
http://www.dvdplanet.com/dvd_audio.asp

[Edited last by David Albrecht on November 14, 2001 at 11:11 PM]

[Edited last by David Albrecht on November 14, 2001 at 11:15 PM]

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted November 15 2001 - 05:05 AM

Will, congratulations on your purchase of the 'RP91. I've heard many good things about that player. I have the Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, which preceded the 'RP91, and have been extremely pleased with it. In any event, I only have 14 DVD-Audio discs, but here are my favorites, musically and sonically:

* Metallica Metallica ("The Black Album")

* Fleetwood Mac Rumours

* Steely Dan Two Against Nature

* Inside the Music: Women on Top

The last title listed is a compilation album of pop hits by female artists. It is on the Silverline Records label. Unfortunately, the disc has no DVD-Audio stereo track, but the surround-sound track is quite good. In addition, the disc has a DTS track for playback on DVD-Video players. The DTS track sounds good, but the DVD-Audio track is noticeably better. The disc also has a Dolby Digital track, which is awful.

------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection

KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

[Edited last by KeithH on November 15, 2001 at 04:05 PM]
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted November 15 2001 - 09:56 PM

The Fleetwood Mac DVDA is a must own. Incredible. If you like heavy metal then the Metallica DVDA is also very good. I also love my ELP DVDA. I was not impressed by the Foreignor DVDA or the DOORS La Woman DVDA. JohnG ------------------
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted November 16 2001 - 08:45 AM

The Grateful Dead's American Beauty is spectacular. Also, I've listened briefly to Eric Clapton's Reptile, and it is quite good. Accoustic stuff really comes alive on DVD-A.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted November 16 2001 - 11:04 AM

Yes, the Grateful Dead DVDA of "American Beauty" is also excellent! 'Ripple' has never sounded better.

The Steely Dan DVDA is also a MUST own.

Coming up soon will be Queen's "Night At The Opera" and The Eagles "Hotel California" which are on the Christmas list.

JohnG Posted Image

------------------
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted November 16 2001 - 06:33 PM

night at the opera comes out this coming tuesday fyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users