What's new

OKAY...Let's Back Up the Rumors With Some Corroboration... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
In various threads, I've been hearing things about Warner Brothers, but despite my questions to the posters, have had no replies, which to me indicates there is no truth to them. I challenge whoever is saying that Warners is actually working on AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS to provide evidence; also to those saying Warner Bros. plans a "banner year" (quote from one post) in 2002 for catalog titles. If I hear nothing, I will assume there is nothing to these claims. I have had great contempt for Warners for a year or so, and it will take something pretty solid to change my perspective.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Amen to that. I've been completely filled with loathing for Warner since the revelation from a speech of a highly-placed AOL/Warner executive that they were focusing all their energy on Pay-per-view for the foreseeable future. How did they go from being the champions of DVD to the Evilest Empire in the world and the enemies of movie lovers everywhere???
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Crawdaddy nailed it. When you go from a content based company to a delivery based conglomerate, apparently you "leave the one who 'brung ya'", as they say. That's okay, though - Fox has filled the gap nicely as the best DVD studio :)
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They can't fill in the gap when it comes to movies they don't own. Fox does a good job, but they can't bring me all those great movies Warner is sitting on. On the other hand, Fox has a few catalog titles they need to put out, too.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I challenge whoever is saying that Warners is actually working on AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS to provide evidence;
Well, it did show up in widescreen for the first time ever. It recently played on Turner Classic Movies in France in its OAR. That's a good sign that some restoration work has been done, as no known widescreen transfer existed until now.
Jeff

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Sorry Jeff, but your last post wasn't entirely accurate....
It played on the BBC about 2 1/2 years ago in a 1.78:1 widescreen ratio - the quality of the print loked pretty good (most films on british TV are now shown in a 16:9 ratio due to the increasing no. of widescreen TV's and the rise in digital broadcasting).
Regards
MA

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Dick
Like you, I'm angered over Warners indifference to their classic library & extremely cynical of every move Warner makes since the past year or so. My happiness in seeing The Mummy released is tempered by the fact that it's being released purely as a way of capitalizing on The Mummy Returns DVD. Warner would never have released it otherwise. Who knows when they will release the other Hammer films, including the 2 classics Horror of Dracula & Curse of Frankenstein.
The only hope I have is that they have agreed to a chat, which means maybe, maybe they might have a new outlook on things. However like you, I'll have to see the DVDs to believe it. Rumors just won't do it for me.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't really buy Warner product anyway. They come in those cardboard boxes. How much can a studio care about it's product if it comes packaged in the same thing that cereal comes in??

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Who knows when they will release the other Hammer films, including the 2 classics Horror of Dracula & Curse of Frankenstein.
Jay, I would like to add the following:
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
"Around The World In 80 Days" was shown over here in the UK on 28 August 1995 in a widescreen format (i.e. approx 1.78:1).
Although it was not in stereo it was the full running time-not the shortened verion that was released on video some time back.
Also because it was shown on BBC it was free of adverts and digital logos.
To my mind it is a scandal that this landmark film has not yet been released on DVD in a restored format. The film is a superb example of the showmanship of Mike Todd and the sort of movie that they do not make anymore- they cannot afford it!
I too would welcome concrete information that this film was being prepped for a release soon.
Come on Warners- put us all out of our misery! And I am sure that you would have a massive hit as soon as the title hit the DVD stores.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks