-

Photo

OKAY...Let's Back Up the Rumors With Some Corroboration...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,091 posts

Posted July 29 2001 - 06:28 AM

In various threads, I've been hearing things about Warner Brothers, but despite my questions to the posters, have had no replies, which to me indicates there is no truth to them. I challenge whoever is saying that Warners is actually working on AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS to provide evidence; also to those saying Warner Bros. plans a "banner year" (quote from one post) in 2002 for catalog titles. If I hear nothing, I will assume there is nothing to these claims. I have had great contempt for Warners for a year or so, and it will take something pretty solid to change my perspective.

#2 of 11 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted July 30 2001 - 10:15 AM

Amen to that. I've been completely filled with loathing for Warner since the revelation from a speech of a highly-placed AOL/Warner executive that they were focusing all their energy on Pay-per-view for the foreseeable future. How did they go from being the champions of DVD to the Evilest Empire in the world and the enemies of movie lovers everywhere???

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

#3 of 11 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,506 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 30 2001 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
How did they go from being the champions of DVD to the Evilest Empire in the world and the enemies of movie lovers everywhere???

It's called "Merger"!

Crawdaddy

------------------

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 11 Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted July 30 2001 - 08:56 PM

Crawdaddy nailed it. When you go from a content based company to a delivery based conglomerate, apparently you "leave the one who 'brung ya'", as they say. That's okay, though - Fox has filled the gap nicely as the best DVD studio Posted Image

Matt

------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#5 of 11 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,837 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 31 2001 - 07:32 AM

They can't fill in the gap when it comes to movies they don't own. Fox does a good job, but they can't bring me all those great movies Warner is sitting on. On the other hand, Fox has a few catalog titles they need to put out, too.

#6 of 11 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 31 2001 - 04:58 PM

Quote:
I challenge whoever is saying that Warners is actually working on AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS to provide evidence;

Well, it did show up in widescreen for the first time ever. It recently played on Turner Classic Movies in France in its OAR. That's a good sign that some restoration work has been done, as no known widescreen transfer existed until now.

Jeff

#7 of 11 Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

• 446 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 12:25 AM

Sorry Jeff, but your last post wasn't entirely accurate....

It played on the BBC about 2 1/2 years ago in a 1.78:1 widescreen ratio - the quality of the print loked pretty good (most films on british TV are now shown in a 16:9 ratio due to the increasing no. of widescreen TV's and the rise in digital broadcasting).

Regards

MA

#8 of 11 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 01:15 AM

Dick

Like you, I'm angered over Warners indifference to their classic library & extremely cynical of every move Warner makes since the past year or so. My happiness in seeing The Mummy released is tempered by the fact that it's being released purely as a way of capitalizing on The Mummy Returns DVD. Warner would never have released it otherwise. Who knows when they will release the other Hammer films, including the 2 classics Horror of Dracula & Curse of Frankenstein.

The only hope I have is that they have agreed to a chat, which means maybe, maybe they might have a new outlook on things. However like you, I'll have to see the DVDs to believe it. Rumors just won't do it for me.

#9 of 11 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,697 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted August 01 2001 - 09:40 AM

I don't really buy Warner product anyway. They come in those cardboard boxes. How much can a studio care about it's product if it comes packaged in the same thing that cereal comes in??

#10 of 11 Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
Who knows when they will release the other Hammer films, including the 2 classics Horror of Dracula & Curse of Frankenstein.

Jay, I would like to add the following:

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave

------------------
The Dark Tower

Posted Image

#11 of 11 Nick Eden

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted August 02 2001 - 05:40 AM

"Around The World In 80 Days" was shown over here in the UK on 28 August 1995 in a widescreen format (i.e. approx 1.78:1).
Although it was not in stereo it was the full running time-not the shortened verion that was released on video some time back.
Also because it was shown on BBC it was free of adverts and digital logos.
To my mind it is a scandal that this landmark film has not yet been released on DVD in a restored format. The film is a superb example of the showmanship of Mike Todd and the sort of movie that they do not make anymore- they cannot afford it!
I too would welcome concrete information that this film was being prepped for a release soon.
Come on Warners- put us all out of our misery! And I am sure that you would have a massive hit as soon as the title hit the DVD stores.

------------------

Forum Nav Content I Follow