What's new

I feel the need to express myself... I LOVE ANCHOR BAY!!! (1 Viewer)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
I was just looking over my DVD collection (now up to 1427 and counting...) and suddenly realized something; Most of my favorite DVDs are Anchor Bay releases. Not always the films themselves, but the treatment the Co. gives to presentation, packaging, and production. All of the tin, wood, and rubber... All of the movies that no other Co. would dare or care to release. My emotional ties to my Anchor Bay and Criterion disks are as close as I've come to the intense emotions I used to feel toward my LD box sets (Actually, I still feel it...)But really, my absolute favorite DVD co. at this point must be Anchor Bay.
Sure they've messed up a few times...(Black Hole, Opera, Heathers SE Tin, ...MANHUNTER...) But they fixed most of them. Their disks are SO MUCH FUN!!! Wicker Man, Book of the Dead, Stunt Man LE, The Beyond Tin, The Cook, the Thief..., Bad Taste LE, Bava, Argento, Fulci, anamorphic DVDs for as little as $12... Oh my God, I love it... Of my 1427 DVDs DVD profiler registers 107 Anchor Bay titles!!! Oh, well. I feel better now that I got that off my chest... What are your AB favs & why? What are your AB thoughts? Isn't AB just wonderful!?! C'mon admit it... It feels GREAT!!! -JD
I forgot to mention, I own every AB SE tin but one...Evil Dead II... can you believe it? And of course I can no longer find it anywhere. If someone has a ED2 tin they're no longer interested in, please let me know!

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay is a great company that puts out great editions of not-always-so-great movies. And that's the cool thing about them! :) I have a handful of Anchor Bay titles myself, and they're among the best in my collection.
Max: I think I heard that AB was going to produce a movie, but you're still right, the word studio might be inappropriate.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Yes, I too love them. Any company that gives me such superb editions of The Wicker Man, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Halloween, Repo Man, Deep Red and countless others can consider itself in my personal Hall of Fame. :)

M

MaxY

Well count me in as another big Fan of the Work Anchor Bay does.

I own all the tins with the exception of Candy, and Halloween 4.

I think the local Best Buys still have some of those EOD 2 tins. I will check it out next time I am there. If there is one still left I will pick it up and offer to you if you have found one by then no problem those things are easy to get rid of, so I am not worried.

BTW is Anchor Bay a Studio? Do they make any of their own movies?

Great company, whatever you call them.

BTW Just checked using DVD Profiler and it seems to think that I have almost 90 movies from Anchor Bay out of 1500+.

Max

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Achor Bay does deserve our applause. Who else would actively search for and release a 143 minute long cut of Supergirl? They would, thats who. And the special features on the first disc ( i have the limited), fantastic! Strange they didn't put the Jenneot Swarc commentary on the 143 minute version, but oh well. Just to have it is great! I honestly believe that the entire place over there is staffed by fanboys such as ourselves, living the ultimate fanboy dream, distributing ultimate fanboy movies to the rest of us. The day Anchor Bay begins financing/producing their own films will be a good day indeed, because we will know the movie is in good hands from day one.

Anchor Bay is releasing The Day After on DVD in 2003. Oh joy of joys!

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes, Anchor Bay has done a lot of fans a huge favor, even before DVD came around with their excellent VHS releases. My 3-disc Suspiria is among my favorite DVD's.
By the way www.deepdiscountdvd.com is selling the Evil Dead II tin for $24 shipped! It's their #2 top seller right now, so you better hurry!

RichardL

Auditioning
I think AB is great for the product they put out. So many obscure releases in usually great presentation. By the way, last time I looked eBay had quite a load of Evil Dead 2 tins up for sale/auction..

I forgot to mention, I own every AB SE tin but one...Evil Dead II... can you believe it? And of course I can no longer find it anywhere. If someone has a ED2 tin they're no longer interested in, please let me know!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Count me in as another AB fan! Sure, they've made some mistakes, but no more than any other company. And ya gotta love their releases - the upcoming Alec Guinness boxed set has me drooling. Some of my favorite AB releases include Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop, The Wicker Man L.E., and Suspiria.

Will K

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay is truly a godsend for lovers of horror and cult films. Without them, a lot of titles would be languishing in oblivion or popping up on mediocre labels in pan-and-scan and censored prints. Anchor Bay's transfers, even on 30 or 40-year-old films, continue to amaze me. If only major studios would give this kind of care for all of their films.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I was just pleased as punch with their tranfer of Fraternity Vacation. It was a very clean nice anamorphic transfer.

Kudos Anchor Bay.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay is also the best source for quality DVDs of (non-horror) foreign films besides Criterion. They rescued Diva from the awful Fox-Lorber release. They have done an excellent job with Bertrand Blier and Paul Verhoven movies and I look forward their releases of other directors' works in the future.
Long live Anchor Bay!
Ted

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I always know that if Anchor Bay release a title, it's going to be the best print they can find.
MGM & Anchor Bay are the 2 top companies when it comes to releasing Horror & Sci-Fi on DVD. I can't say enough good things about them.
I'm drooling in anticipation over Near Dark & Dead of Night.

Michael Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
I like them too, and have all the tins except Maniac.

I just wish though, that they would change their subtitle policy.

Michael

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I don't have many AB titles "yet" but the ones I do have I also have to agree. They are AWESOME! For a "non" studio to release such great quality (and their efforts shows) B movie titles, you have to love them!
I believe their DVD release quality ranks up there with that of 20th Century Fox right now.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled that Anchor Bay takes the time and energy to release titles that many studios deem unworthy of release. Several of these titles have caught my attention. I'm very happy to have Anchor Bay titles in my collection. It seems now that DTS has become a standard on their releases. Yet another reason to be thrilled with them.

Keep up the good work AB!

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have 24 AB titles and love them all but my favorites would have to be the Evil Dead trilogy in all the forms I have bought them.

Suspiria is another great one....wish I had the 3-disc set though.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy with Anchor Bay as well, partially thanks to the excellent treatment they've given Werner Herzog. I'm just afraid that from my point of view, they may have run out of product. Looking at what's on their release map for the rest of the year, I'm not sure I'll be buying a single disc. Though like many, I'm quivering with anticipation for next year's mega Dawn of the Dead set.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay deserves every ounce of praise they get.
A while back, they released a ton of Universal licensed titles, and with no fanfare, they produced beatiful 16x9 transfers and commentary tracks for almost every release. Never in my wildest dreams did I suspect that I'd own a pristine widescreen version of I'll Never Forget What's'name or Blue Collar... with excellent commentary tracks!
Now they're licensing titles from Studio Canal and New World Pictures. The Final Programme with a brand new transfer and a commentary track!?
They always treat forgotten B-movies like royalty... just look at their Beastmaster disc for evidence.
And don't even get me going on the superb Werner Herzog collection...
not many people know about their site... check it out! www.anchorbayentertainment.com

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
By the way www.deepdiscountdvd.com is selling the Evil Dead II tin for $24 shipped! It's their #2 top seller right now, so you better hurry!
Thanks for the link, Matt. If you can believe it, I have yet to buy a DVD online... I'm one of those paranoid types with giving credit card info. online. But, who knows, if I can't get it by any other means, and that's the only way to complete the collection, I may have to overcome my fears...
-----------
Anyone have any LEs that are #00001(or 2)/20000, or 4999-5000/5000 ? The closet I come is #403/5000 (Maniac LE tin)on the low end, and 4957/5000 (Let Sleeping Corpses Lie LE tin).
Anchor Bay is the collector's wet dream!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks