What's new

I feel the need to express myself... I LOVE ANCHOR BAY!!! (1 Viewer)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Imagine how wonderful Anchor Bay LaserDisc boxsets might have been... Just Imagine it... Beautiful multi-disk packaging, Remastered video & audio, DTS sound, Extras-Extras-Extras!!! Total price... $25-50 !!! Oh, it could have been AMAZING!

I love all my tins and collectable DVDs, but none have reached LD boxset status... I'm wondering what DVD companies could do to spark that LD box magic again? What was it? Was it size?

I'm still waiting for a DVD set to come close to my Definitive Star Wars Trilogy, E.T. #ed Box (anniversary ed.), Schindler's List, Godfather Trilogy, Dances w/ Wolves box, every Disney Boxset released, Criterion Brazil and Fisher King, Criterion Bram Stoker's Dracula, I could go on and on...

I want some SUPER-DUPER-EXTRA-SPECIAL-MAKES-ME-FEEL-LIKE-THE OLD-LASERDISC-DAYS-EDITION DVDs !!!

How can the DVD companies accomplish this?

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Some of these upcoming titles are terrific! I can finally get rid of my lousy Fox Lorber The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers, and I'm looking forward to a decent version of Beau Pere and Murder By Decree. I love Anchor Bay!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I love Anchor Bay!!
I love their obscure/non-mainstream titles, their transfers and extras, their prices, their frequency of releases, their poster replica inserts, their special packaging...I own 99 of their DVDs. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
However...I just have to bitch about Bill Lustig's ignorant attitute regarding English subtitles for English language films. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay makes me feel all fuzzy. Every time I hear of new title they pick up I want to cheer, because I know it'll be done RIGHT

They LISTEN

They DO IT RIGHT

THEY ROCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ALL LOVE YOU ANCHOR BAY!

(Oh, I believe Space Camp wasn't 16:9 because they couldn't get a source to do it. There are several kid oriented mid-80s films with that problem, probably the most famous being Transformers: The Movie)

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
the 143 minute cut of Supergirl is a revelation in terms of characterization, plot, and everything. For a fan of the film its a must buy. MUST BUY!

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: ANCHOR BAY :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
....THE CAR, LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE, HELLRAISER I & II, SUSPIRIA, ZOMBIE, EVIL DEAD series, POSSESSION, THE STUFF, THE BEYOND, ARGENTO, FULCI, MANIAC, REPOMAN, BAD TASTE!!!
I've been wanting to say this for a long time too, ANCHOR BAY ROCKS!!!!!:star: :star: :star: :star:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although not miserably misplaced in the Software Area :), it seems attractive to have this thread in "Studio Feedback": it may more readily be found by representatives of the studios (perhaps AB?), and it's a worthy counterpart to all the bickering.
I'm not suggesting that the bickering is unfounded ... ;) just that it's nice to tell the studios more often when we're glad with them too.
Cees

ShawnCoghill

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Anchor Bay is great but also a but of an oddity,I mean how they get away with buying the rights to B to B+ Films,and only a rare few A films,turning them into somewhat of cult classics due to interesting packaging or numbering each disc therby scaring people into buying it so they dont have to fight for it once people catch on that ones went oop.The marketing people at Anchor Bay should be fought for by Warner Bros,and MGM,since aparently their not to bright as to how to make a great looking case for a dvd.I am in the process of writing a film,and then to direct.If my film ever got to the point of releasing a dvd I just might have to go with Anchor Bay,I like their Style,and crap I mean I bought The Wicker Man without knowing a thing about it,just because I thought Dang!! Thats a pretty cool case.And then was treated to a nice little film. I hope they keep up the good work,and expand even more,I would really love to see a mainstream film straigt from theaters get picked up by Anchor B,Im sure they would really do a great job with it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
OK, since this thread is going in Feedback now, I have to add that though I love the movies they put out, my big gripe with them is that they've been re-mixing mono soundtracks for 5.1 and not including the original sound track! Repo Man has a 5.1 and pro-logic remix, but not the original mono soundtrack which is how this movie was released! They make you watch the FBI warning every time the disc starts too.

They did a great job with "Can't Stop The Music" though (this was released in 70mm multi-track stereo!)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, so much for this thread...

It's been bannished to the feedback area - Where very fun and positive threads turn into gripes and complaints (as demonstrated by the first post since moved!); Where once popular threads become lonely threads that slowly wither and die.

With all due respect to the Admins. and this forum, I would like to request that this thread be put back into the software section.

There is much greater traffic in the software section, greater traffic leads to more input and much more interesting discussion.

It is definitely not out of place in the Software section; The discussion is truely about Anchor Bay's SOFTWARE Releases.

Can't the thread be moved in studio feedback once the general interest has waned in the software section? Please...?

I do appreciate your consideration of my request. Thanks- JD

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
OK, since this thread is going in Feedback now, I have to add that though I love the movies they put out, my big gripe with them is that they've been re-mixing mono soundtracks for 5.1 and not including the original sound track! Repo Man has a 5.1 and pro-logic remix, but not the original mono soundtrack which is how this movie was released!
I agree!!! The WORST example is the Suspiria DVD that the new re-mix audio is soooo bad I can't buy the DVD. The LD does the trick for me.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to say that Anchor Bay is the best. I just bought the Highlander Immortal Edition for both the Animorphic Widescreeen and the Queen Videos. Wel to open the box and see Chris Lambert and Freddie Mercury share the picture on the First disc was a wonderful surprise.

Sure the disc had potential for so much more but Lambert Mercury disc was a plesant surprise that kind of made up for the missed oprrotunity or rights issue.

Now if they could get their hands on the rights for Flash Gordon, I would be a happy man

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's been bannished to the feedback area - Where very fun and positive threads turn into gripes and complaints (as demonstrated by the first post since moved!)
It looks like you're right! Too bad.
OK, I believed I did everyone a favour.. I'll honor the request of the originator, although I resent the word "banned". :)
Cees

M

MaxY

It was my Choice not get the Tins I don't have and can get those easily locally.

I am going to Best Buy tomorrow will see if they have the EDII tin. I am pretty sure that one of the two Best Buys around here still had them.

I will grab one and if you want it is yours if you find one on your own it will not bother me at all.

Max

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Cees,

Thank you for honoring my request. You are very kind. I meant no disrepect to the Forum or Admins. in my use of the word "banished"(mispelled/typo earlier) in my earlier post. I meant it not in a "banned" or "censored" way, but in the normal Webster's dictionary kind of way:

banished: to drive out or remove from a home or place of usual resort or continuance.

Thank you once again for your help. -JD

--------------------

Max,

Very Cool! I plan to give one more snoop around locally this weekend to see if I can find one for myself. The reason I didn't buy it in the first place is because it was non-anamorphic... but the collector in me just won't leave it alone. Let me know what you find. Thank you very much. -JD

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Another VERY happy Anchor Bay customer here!! Although I am not sure how they make money by releasing such great product at such low prices (I mean how can you make money by releasing House/House II together for less than $20! :) ). I am constantly amazed at how good some of their transfers are (Fraternity Vacation has never looked so great!). Their dedication to hunting down and providing the best transfers and extended cuts of films is something the much larger studios should take note of!
Keep up the great work AB!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
How can you not love a studio that shows such admiration for movies like Halloween, Hellraiser and The Evil Dead???
When I got my hands on their Sword and the Sorcerer, I was thrilled. After The Beastmaster, I knew I was dealing with the kind of DVD company that I'd run. :)
It's also quite gratifying to see an "outside" company deliver movies in the best possible fashion, while the big studios continue to mangle their own creations!
If Columbia owned the rights to stuff like Fraternity Vacation or The Stuff, they'd probably be released in P&S.
Or maybe I'm just bitter. ;)
Anyway, I'm with you guys. I hearty thanks to Anchor Bay for delivering the "movie fans' movies" - and for doing it so damn well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks