What's new

I feel the need to express myself... I LOVE ANCHOR BAY!!! (1 Viewer)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I too love Anchor Bay! Recently picked up The Bat, Endless Night, and I Saw What You Did. Excellent discs!

My only complaint with Anchor Bay, is their Deep Red disc. Okay, for Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, Anchor Bay put two different cuts of the film on the disc (one being several minutes longer than the other). So why couldn't they do this for Deep Red? I hate the "director's cut" that Anchor Bay released. It's extremely overlong and severely bogs down the pace. It's nice to see the extra footage, but couldn't it have been an extra feature, and not automatically inserted into the movie? I would've preferred the regular U.S. cut, with only the added blood/gore thrown back into the film. Maybe they'll release a SE someday with both versions available. Deep Red went from being my favorite Argento film to one of my least favorites with this single DVD release.

Otherwise, Anchor Bay is always top notch.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I love Anchor Bay as well.

The most obscure movies on DVD you will ever find.

I love to support them, and even buy their titles for friends of mine.

I own

Beastmaster

Midnight Madness

Fraternity Vacation

Suspira

Stunt Man-10,828/100,000

Heathers-8,685/15,000

Army of Darkness-7,607/30,000

Evil Dead 2

The Guardian

Halloween-10,163

Manhunter-93,630/100,000

Hiding Out

Supergirl-27,357/50,000

Will K

Screenwriter
I must add that AB also has great customer service. I sent off my defective disc for Opera and got my replacement a mere two weeks later and they threw in a free copy of Supergirl to boot(too bad I already had the LE!).
Also, for those of you who like slasher movies, pick up AB's DVD of Michele Saovi's Stagefright, a fun and gory Italian hack-a-thon. Too bad the majors don't have the cojones to release their own films uncut! Long live AB.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Who else would actively search for and release a 143 minute long cut of Supergirl? They would, thats who. And the special features on the first disc ( i have the limited), fantastic!
Hey -- How is that? I may pick that up. I got the Moonlighting instead of Supergirl (Opera recall).

Hi, I'm referring to JackJD (first) posting where he mentions that there's something wrong with the 'MANHUNTER' DVD. I own the Limited Edition and didn't realize any problems. Please let me know what moght be wrong with it?

Bye, Tom

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I like and own:

"Supergirl: Limited Edition"

"Moonlighting: The Pilot"

"The All-Nighter"

I'm working on saving up money to buy some more AB titles like "Tapeheads", "Strapless", "Can't Stop The Music" and that "Crimes Of Passion" special edition (The first pressing of "...Passion" was widescreen, but not OAR...a rare AB slip-up).

Kudos to AB.

Sincerely,

John "Do you think Anchor Bay might pick up the DVD rights for 'Flight Of The Navigator'?" Kilduff

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm just afraid that from my point of view, they may have run out of product. Looking at what's on their release map for the rest of the year, I'm not sure I'll be buying a single disc.
Brook,
There is plenty of great stuff in the pipeline:
Beau Pere -- (dir. Bertrand Blier), currently a Fox-Lorber atrocity.
The Alec Guinness collection -- classics all including The Ladykillers
The Wim Wenders Collection
The Peter Sellers Collection
Winter Kills
Ted

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I would LOVE to see Flight of the Navigator from AB.

Watcher in the Woods makes me want another Disney film, and it's sequel - Escape from Witch Mountain and Return to Witch Mountain.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
??? I thought that all their non-English language films had decent optional subtitles... Am I missing something?
I'm pretty sure what Michael means is, that their DVD's do not have DVD subtitles for american movies, but only Close Captions. Us european can do exactly *d!ck* with CC's unless we get an external decoder, which I'm not even sure you can get these days.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Actually, the one thing I dislike about AB, is that they didn't make Space Camp 16x9:frowning:

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I still can't believe they released Kentucky Fried Movie and that it looks as good as it does! And it has one of the funniest commentaries ever...it even rivals the Mallrats commentary and I am a huge Kevin Smith fan. :)
Robert Weiss: "You know what's interesting about this? Nothing!"
David Zucker: "What was the idea of this low angle?"
Weiss: "We couldn't find the tripod!"
Weiss: "We showed this to the lawyers and they said it was unreleasable. So we showed it to the financial guys and they said 'Get different lawyers'."
Jerry Zucker: "Where's that dog now?"
John Landis: "He just got a new liver."

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ted, I'm sure some/all of those are good films, I just haven't seen them. Depending on what else comes out in the months that they are released, I might pick some up.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Waitaminute...How could I forget "Reform School Girls"?
That DVD kicks ass. Tracking down Tom DeSimone for commentary was a great idea...the transfer was swell, and the movie was exciting. Hey, lots of naked women guarantees that. :cool:
Another great DVD from Anchor Bay...
Sincerely,
John "I miss Wendy O. Williams" Kilduff

Rich Satch

Auditioning
Anchor Bay rules. I love my entire dario argento collection and i still wish they would hurry up and release that new Dawn of the Dead SE.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It's a damn shame that Anchor Bay wasn't able to grab the rights to Akira Kurosawa's RAN away from Fox Lorber, (sight unseen or not) they would have done this stunning film true justice....well, we'll see what FL does with the SE.
disc...I hate the "director's cut" that Anchor Bay released. It's extremely overlong and severely bogs down the pace. It's nice to see the extra footage, but couldn't it have been an extra feature, and not automatically inserted into the movie? I would've preferred the regular U.S. cut, with only the added blood/gore thrown back into the film.
Personally I would rather have the film as Dario Argento originally intended before the U.S. distributors cut it all to hell....& thanks to Anchor Bay (and apart from the missing English audio stems) we do.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
It's also cool that they have a special e-mail where you can send them suggestions for future releases. Those suggestions are what actually got several titles released on DVD, including Return of the Killer Tomatoes. Long Live Anchor Bay!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
They released Return To Oz, Fitzcarraldo, The Stunt Man, and Never Cry Wolf, and all involved will go to heaven just on that basis alone.
Their web site says that a Bliss, is on the horizon, but I can't let myself believe, hope, that it's the 1985 Australian film with Barry Otto, which is one of my favorite films. There are other movies called Bliss.
OhpleaseohpleaseohpleaseletitbeMYbliss!
Now, if they'd only release One From The Heart, War Hunt, and Louie Bluie, I'd be just about set.
Anchor Bay is a gem!
(DVD Profiler says we own 41 Anchor Bay titles)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks