What's new

Godzilla Now...Are we taking this a bit too Far? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Was getting Ready to Watch Godzilla Vs. Space Godzilla on AMC tonight (Hey I like Cheesy Monster flicks and I've never seen it) well Beach Blanket Bingo is on. I can only assume it's not on Because Godzilla Et all Step on and Destroy Lots of Buildings. Now I am sensitive to all that's gone on but Godzilla? Is this reality in the least? Are we going a bit too far?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yeah, I think they're going a bit too far. Don't mess with Godzilla!
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
If only they had a Godzilla vs. the Taliban film to show.
rolleyes.gif

I am really bent out of shape with the attack on America. But I would never dream of expecting films and TV to edit things to pretend like things didn't change.
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
They did the exact same thing last weekend -- Godzilla got bumped for a teen surf flick. Too bad, since they're the newer 'Zilla flicks to boot.
Nothing against beach classics, but when I'm in the mood for Gojira, there is no substitute!
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I can wholly understand your frustration. What I've discovered recently as I begin to watch DVDs again, is that if they really were trying to stop showing every movie that had something to do with the attacks, there wouldn't be many movies left that we could watch. It just seems that a lot of the movies I've watched recently somehow connect with the tradgedy.
Examples:
Frequency - New York firefighters
Fight Club - On going theme, the illusion of safety on air travel
Tomorrow Never Dies - The media's obsession with bad news
Toy Story 2 - Spoiler:Airport climax
There are probably many more I can't think of right now. But my point is that there's it's ridiculous for hollywood to think that we're going to get upset at them because they let us see shots of the World Trade Centre, buildings being destroyed, or terrorists.
[Edited last by Mark Kalzer on September 23, 2001 at 10:51 AM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: But my point is that there's it's ridiculous for hollywood to think that we're going to get upset at them because they let us see shots of the World Trade Centre, buildings being destroyed, or terrorists. [/quote] We're not talking about Hollywood here (though there are plenty of other threads that do). We're talking about broadcasters, nearly all of whom have had to revise their schedules on-the-fly ever since Sept. 11. 2001. The attack was less than two weeks ago, and the wounds are still fresh. Everyone is groping for what is right and appropriate in these circumstances, even in everday conversation (at least we are here in New York). You can't blame broadcasters for erring on the side of caution in what entertainment they choose to show right now. Give it time.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 23, 2001 at 11:26 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Way, way too far. You might want to let them know that the Godzilla movies are comedies. I'm still waiting for a WTC rating to pop up on any tower related movies.
Glenn

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Actually the real irony here is that the original Godzilla film was viewed as a metaphorical exploration of the nuclear devastation of WW2 in Japan.
Apparently the Japanese could handle seeing Tokyo destroyed by a nuclear monster that was SUPPOSED to remind them of Nag. and Hiro., but now we can't handle anything remotely close?
I understand that things are still fresh and I'm not shocked that the question might come up, but I wonder if broadcasters are going to let the American public decide instead. So far they haven't.
I have bad news for them, the pain ain't going anywhere. It's not like anybody is comfey with Pearl Harbor even today, and we had an entire war to dissipate that anger and sorrow. Stop trying to avoid reminding people because people will remember all the time anyway. Heck, as I was watching It's a M,M,M,M World I noticed the people trapped by fire and the 2 airplane incidents. I felt a connection that obviously is not really there. It's just something WE need to work through, not avoid.
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Apparently the Japanese could handle seeing Tokyo destroyed by a nuclear monster that was SUPPOSED to remind them of Nag. and Hiro., but now we can't handle anything remotely close?
That's a poor comparison. Gojira came out nine years after the A-bombs were dropped. Nine years from now in the U.S., there won't be any more WTC-related schedule changes or reshoots for the armchair pundits at HTF to bemoan. With any luck, we'll have moved on to a degree that people will feel comfortable exploring elements of the Trade Center attack in popular culture as the Japanese ultimately did with the A-bomb. But not today, and not tomorrow.
Does everyone remember that there are still thousands of funerals to be held?
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks