Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Dvd Etc. Magazine Poll: All Members Please Respond

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#41 of 530 OFFLINE   Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:37 PM

[list=1][*]Alien - Classic Sci-Fi, plus the remastered picture never looked better![*]Aliens - One of the best sequels, lots of integrated never seen footage, great sound.[*]John Carpenter's The Thing- Just to see it in letterbox, and hear it in 5.1 sound. Classic.[/list=1]

#42 of 530 OFFLINE   Bob_Smo

Bob_Smo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:37 PM

Toy Story - Ultimate Toy Box Godfather Trilogy Matrix p.s. adding an extra one for music category - Bruce Springsteen - Live In New York City

#43 of 530 OFFLINE   Carlyle

Carlyle

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:38 PM

1. The Matrix; Engaging movie and great HT Effects/Sounds. 2. Star Wars Episode 1; Pod-race scene blows me away every time I watch it. 3. The Iron Giant; Great family fun and GREAT sound effects in a animation movie.

#44 of 530 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:39 PM

Amarcord — my favorite movie, I can't imagine having a movie library without it. Matrix — the only movie I know of that everyone (of my friends) enjoyed watching. Great sound and a vast array of special feautures. Enter the Dragon — to this day this movie has the best (IMHO) display of martial arts.
My DVDs

#45 of 530 OFFLINE   Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:39 PM

Star Wars Episode 1 - The sound, the extras, the legend Life is Beautiful - Everyone should own this movie. Great transfer also! Toy Story 1&2 - Just for the intense images!

#46 of 530 OFFLINE   ShanonS

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:40 PM

1. The Fifth Element Superbit - reference quality video, cool movie 2. Matrix - This was the first thing I looked for when I got my first player, my favorite movie, amazing special effects, great story, great audio 3. Saving Private Ryan - Great movie, good video, great sound (go with DTS version if appropriate for your system).

#47 of 530 OFFLINE   Duane_T

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:43 PM

1. The Fifth Element Superbit (what a picture) 2. Fight Club (a good total package) 3. Ronin (mainly because it was the first DVD I owned, chase scenes are a great introduction to 5.1 audio)

#48 of 530 OFFLINE   Ryan_Thomas

Ryan_Thomas

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:44 PM

repeat post sorry
My DVD Profile

Samsung 47" 16:9 HDTV
Denon AVR-2802
Panasonic RP-56Infinity IL25C CenterInfiniti MPS SpeakersJBL Sub

#49 of 530 OFFLINE   Ryan_Thomas

Ryan_Thomas

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:45 PM

1. Shrek -stupendous picture and sound, great to show off the home theater 2. The Fifth Element Superbit - great sound,picture,movie in general 3. Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust - incredible sound,awesome animation, a must watch for anime fans to see what DVD is about
My DVD Profile

Samsung 47" 16:9 HDTV
Denon AVR-2802
Panasonic RP-56Infinity IL25C CenterInfiniti MPS SpeakersJBL Sub

#50 of 530 OFFLINE   Warren Tsang

Warren Tsang

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:46 PM

Super Speedway Mach II Edition: Some of the most incredible racing footage and engine sounds ever. This will blow your ear drums out & leave you asking for more. Truly a DVD that makes you feel like you're right there & it's never failed to impress people about the magnificence of home theater. Shrek: Some of the best quality video you will find. Comes just short of Toy Story, but the movie itself appeals to a wider range of audiences and as a result will be more useful as demo material. The Fast and the Furious: Albeit not a particulary well written movie, nice mindless entertainment. But picture and DTS sound are reference quality. The racing scenes especially can really get the audience pumped up and the sound is just spectacular.

#51 of 530 OFFLINE   James Bergeron

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:47 PM

The Matrix: Sound, Video / Wow Factor Moulin Rouge: SOund menues extras Fifth Element Superbit: Video & Sound Transfer
My Home Theatre, 25,000 visitors and growing faster than ever!

#52 of 530 OFFLINE   MichaelO

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:49 PM

Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box: Direct digital transfer, shows just how good the format can look. Also contains a boat load of supplements to keep you busy. This set will win over anyone with a pulse. T2 The Ultimate Edition: Offers a little bit and a lot of everything. Allows users to use seamless branching for not 2 versions of the film but 3. Easter Eggs galore, hey, they are neat at first and especially someone new to the format. The sharpest menu screens ever created IMHO. Not to mention excellent video and sound quality in both DD and dts. Plus on top of everytihng else, you even get THX, dts, and Dolby Digital trailers that are always a welcomed addition and sure to knock the socks off of someone new to the world that is DVD. Alien: Hey, this was the DVD that got me hooked and it still holds up well today. Shows how great a film can look that is some 20 years old. Very nice themed based menus and exciting extras! Introduces the user to deleted scenes plus an excellent commentary track by Mr. Scott himself.

#53 of 530 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:51 PM

Seen some of these answers already, but have to agree... Star Wars Ep1-This shows you what DVD should look and sound like. An incredible picture, combined with one of the best floor shaking, window rattling, next door neighbors calling the cops Dolby Digital mixes ever made. Discs like this put the Theatre into Home Theatre. Citizen Kane-Not only one of the greatest movies of all time, but an example of how film restoration can work. This shows how a top notch restoration job can make a film as old as Kane look like it was shot last year. Fight Club-Had to sugest this since it was the first disc I bought, but it's also an example of how DVD can be done right. The presentation that fits with the tone of the movie (including the menus and the packaging), and the extras that you actaully want to watch all of show what happens when a director decides that their film should get the deluxe treatment.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#54 of 530 OFFLINE   Massimo N

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

AVIA: You can finally calibrate your picture and sound correctly. Also very informative home theatre introduction. Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box: Great Transfer, Great Dolby Digital 5.1 mix, Lots of supplements, and an entertaining movie for both kids and adults. Fight Club: Reference Transfer, Reference sound, Value Added Extras and a great movie. Cheers! Mass

#55 of 530 OFFLINE   Andy Capps

Andy Capps

Auditioning

• 1 posts

1. The Matrix - Loved the movie, reason why I bought a DVD player. 2. Friday - Favorite quotable movie 3. Toy Story 1 & 2 Ultimate Toy Box - Loaded with extras and beautiful picture

#56 of 530 OFFLINE   Ashley Burt

Ashley Burt

Extra

• 18 posts

Toy Story 2 - Digital-to-Digital Transfer = Great Picture; Great surround effect and Low Bass. Star Wars Ep. I TPM - Great picture quality and sound. Moulin Rouge - Great movie, picture and music.

#57 of 530 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:54 PM

Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition - Tons of great supplements, picture and sound The Matrix - some good extras, good movie, Everyone else with a DVD player has bought it so why shouldn't you 12 Monkeys - Great movie, making of documentary single best supplement IMHO

#58 of 530 OFFLINE   Fred McHugh

Fred McHugh

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:54 PM

Matrix-scene 27 in the lobby. This is why I got into home theater. Fight club- when you say the word extras, I think Fight Club. Toy Story 2- My brother-in-law summed it up (having never seen or heard a dvd at all) This is unbelievable.

#59 of 530 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:55 PM

Fantasia Anthology - History and deleted sequences plus great blend of animation and music. Yellow Submarine - Isolated music score and op-art from one of the greatest rock bands of all times. Goldeneye Special Edition - Sound and picture.

#60 of 530 OFFLINE   Gregg Roszkowski

Gregg Roszkowski

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 01:56 PM

1. Matrix - because it is to DVD as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was to CD. It is simply a must have. 2. U-571 - Thunderous bass throughout, and besides, you need to log a few hours of time on all those new subs you've built. This DVD will break them in. 3. Brave Heart - Great story, great effects, awesome musical score, and it is my favorite movie of all time.
Who Dat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users