Dvd Etc. Magazine Poll: All Members Please Respond

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    2001 A Space Odyssey - The greatest film ever made gets a stellar transfer on Warner's latest DVD. No extra features, but the movie is the star.
    Citizen Kane - The other greatest film ever made! The transfer is, for the most part, top-notch and the DVD set comes with unique extras.
    Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - One of the comedy duo's best films given a very nice special edition by Universal. Very good transfer and informative and entertaining extras. Every collection needs to have a classic comedy!

2. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

1) Toy Story - Ultimate Box Set: Awesome digital-to-digital transfer, awesome sound, and uses almost every feature available on DVD including the hardly-used Angle button.

2) Tron - Collectors Edition: Awesome sound and great picture. Fun menu's too.

3) Shrek: Another great digital-to-digital transfer and a cool (finally) DVD-Rom voiceover feature.

3. Scott Greczkowski

My 3 DVD's would be -

Toy Story 2 - I first saw this movie in Orlando Florida with State of the art DLP projectors. I was impressed with the video there however I was more impressed with I got the same video quality at home on my own Home Theater system. This DVD is flawless all the way around.

Shrek - This has to be one of my most played DVD's Where else can you put in a DVD and be entertained for hours without even playing the movie! The extras and menus on the game make you feel that your not playing a DVD but your having a Shrek experiance.

Moulin Rouge - Another film where the extras and menu design is as good as the movie! The sound is not to be beat!

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

1) Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Featuring gorgerous menus, an incredible number of special features, and one of the best sound mixes on a DVD, This is a must have for your DVD collection.
    2) Die Hard: 5 Star Edition - Featuring a great editting feature, wonderful 5 star extras, and a decent new hi-def transfer, the film that ushered in a new genre of action pictures came to DVD in a big way.
    3) Superman: The Movie - For an archival film, this is the best of the best of the best. This movie actually looks BETTER than it did in theaters, and the brand new documentaries on Side B delve into all the minutiae of the production and the controversy surrounding the sequel. You'll believe a man can fly.

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

1. My first DVD was The Right Stuff, because it was one of my favorite movies in widescreen.

2. My second DVD: Army of Darkness Limited Edition. Again, because it's one of my favorite movies, and because I'm a special edition junkie.

3. My third DVD: Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition. Same reasons as above.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

1. Fifth Element. A nifty little movie that many have not seen

2. Star Wars Episode I. Pod Race - 'nough said!

3. U-571. Teeth rattling bass.

7. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    1. The Fifth Element - Superbit Edition (THE disc for reference quality video and one helluva cool movie!)
    2. The Sopranos, The Complete First Season (16x9 presentation, 5.1 sound, first-class packaging and one of the best shows on television)
    3. Rushmore - Criterion Edition (Beautiful image transfer, 5.1 treatment for one of the best soundtracks ever, and inspired menu designs)

8. Christopher_S

Christopher_S Stunt Coordinator

My personal day one DVD choices:
    1. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace The DD mix makes that tired old lightsaber sound shake the floor. And the pod-race? Breathtaking.
    2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves Makes a decades-old film look brand new. A primer on how to pack a disc with worthwhile extras.
    3. The Matrix Sentimental choice... sure, it sounds and looks good, but it's also a nifty marriage of media format and subject matter.

9. Mark Friedman

Mark Friedman Auditioning

The 5th Element (Superbit)

Bram Stroker's Dracula (Superbit)

Apocalypse Now Redux

10. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Shrek: Beutiful picture, lots of extras, great sound, and it's just a fun movie.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menance: Awesome video, Oustanding sound, I can't get enough of Jar Jar, great dvd to show of your new DVD

Snow White: Hey it's a classic

11. Keith_G

Keith_G Auditioning

+Terminator2:Ultimate Edition --- for sound and video quality & engrossing menus & extras

+Saving Private Ryan (DTS version) --- for amazing sound reproduction & Oscar-worthy film

+Matrix --- for sound and video quality & extras

Keith Giuliani

12. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition

Use of virtually every technology for this format; seamless branching, DD & DTS, animated menus, easter eggs. Great overall picture and sound quality.

Toy Story Toy Box

Best possible visual quality available. Straight from the computer to the disk.

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

Star Wars on DVD. 'nuff said.

13. John Hergenrather

1. Toy Story - Ultimate Toy Box - transfer and sound - fun too

2. Saving Private Ryan - Picture and sound - go to Omaha Beach

3. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - Just Because!

14. Srinivas Reddy

Star Wars I : Sound, Movie Quality

Terminator 2 Special Edition: Transfer, Sound, Special Features (Making, Storyboards etc)

GodFAther Trilogy: For the movie itself

15. Tom Reed

Tom Reed Agent

1.) Saving Private Ryan DTS ( The best DTS soundtrack around!!!)

2.) Die Hard 5- Star (Excellent Sound and Image also includes detailed extras.

3.) Fight Club ( Everything on this is perfect great Sound, Image, and Extras)

Tom Reed

16. G Miller

G Miller Stunt Coordinator

First 3 DVD's to purchase.
    Terminator 2 - Classic blockbuster movie, with an abundance of extras which add to your understanding of the movie, and appreciate the time and effort it takes to create a movie of this magnitude such as casting, special affects all the way through to the marketing.
    Moulin Rouge - A visual and audio delight which has a very high repeat value. Stunning colours, sets, and sound make this DVD a must have. Again, a high number of extra's are present on this disk.
    Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000 - For me this is a must have DVD as I am a huge Pearl Jam fan. Although this disc deosn't really show off the dvd format, it is an outstanding compilation of rock songs from one of the pioneers of Alternative music in the 90's.

17. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Star Wars Episode 1 Picture, Sound, and Amazing Extras
    Gladiator Amazing DTS sound
    Fantasia 2000 The great music shows off the nuances of your new system (not just bass and explosions that others provide).

18. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Star Wars:The Phantom Menace, simply the best visual transfer, the best audio, and has great extra features to boot!

The Matrix-Fast paced, great story, and the best shoot em up scenes anywhere.

U-571-Have to use a DTS sounding movie in your new digital player, if you have dentures better go heavy on the polygrip.

19. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

1. Fifth Element - best picture from dark space scenes to colorful city scenes.

2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - wonderful cinematography.

3. Shrek - great animation and comedy relief.

20. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

Saving Private Ryan - picture and sound

True Lies - same

The Patriot - same

RBR