Sign The HOLY GRAIL PETITION!!
The replacement disc appears to universally(so far) fix the spontaneous subtitle problem. However the first Sweedish subtitle seems to be a "casualty of war".
ALSO.....CTHV has YET to publicly acknowledge the disc has ANY problems, and the efforts of myriad people have failed to turn up any distinguishing marks that can be used to identify if a given copy is from the original or corrected pressings.
1) MPATHG:SE is released (duh )
2) Posts start to appear at the Home Theatre Forum, DVDTalk, and at Pythonline about possible glitches.
3) By comparing notes, fans discover that two apparent glitches exist:
a) The very first sweedish subtitle "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen" is missing
b) Apparently spontaneous subtitles keep popping up, even if the subtitle stream is set to "off"
4) BYork begins assembling a list of players both affected and not affected by the spontaneous subtitling problem
5) Steve Tannehill at the HTF attempts contact with the Pythons through the webmaster, Daz, at Pythonline.
6) John Goldstone, the Python's producer replies through Daz that the spontaneous subtitles are most likely a player problem and not due to the DVD. He also doesn't believe the first sweedish subtitle is missing.
7) Shayne Lebrun at HTF takes screen caps to show the omission of the sweedish subtitle.
8) The list of affected players has grown tremendously. It now includes models from virtually every major manufacturer. Most prominently featured are models by Toshiba, and ironically, Sony, which is the parent of CTHE, the company who released the DVD, amongst many others. This widespread list shows that the fault cannot be attributed solely to "player issues".
9) All of these issues and glitches start to be discussed more heavily at the Pythonline board (which has since become the conduit for official messages passed on from Mr. Goldstone). Behind the scenes discussions continue with Mr. Goldstone.
10) Sony, CTHE, and Mr. Goldstone finally realize they have a problem and begin holding "work sessions" to find and fix the problems.
11) TPTB request, through Daz at Pythonline, that the fans submit a list of affected players, i.e. BYork's list.
12) CTHE's customer service (CS) meanwhile, has evidently been told to start accepting returned discs, and to tell people that replacement DVDs will be available "sometime after the week of Thanksgiving". This is obviously just an attempt to placate the consumers by giving them a target date, since in light of (11), TPTB haven't even isolated the causes of the problems at this point, let alone know an exact date that fixed replacements will be available.
13) Daz, Pythonline's webmaster passes on the "offical" email from Mr. Goldstone. This email states that TPTB think they have a fix for the missing sweedish subtitle, but need more information from the consumers regarding the spontaneous subtitling problem.
14) BYork asks for and starts to receive more specific data (exact timestamps. exact subtitles, which subtitle stream, etc) from people at HTF, DVDTalk, and Pythonline. SirNotAppearingInThisFilm at Pythonline did a notable job of going through the entire movie at least twice, not including rewinds/FFs, etc to provide the first complete list of timestamps for the errors, and the apparent exact relation of the spontaneous subtitles and the "Killer Rabbit" feature.
15) CTHE's CS, still apparently running on autopilot, keeps stating that the only options available for people to get replacements for their defective DVDs is the following:
a) The consumer must pay to ship CTHE's defective DVDs back to CTHE.
b) Take the defective DVD back to the store once replacements hit store shelves. (Despite the fact someone may have misplaced their reciept, the DVD will have been opened, it will have been at least a month for some people between purchase and attempted return, some poeple bought their copies on-line, some people are out of the country, etc...)
16) At this point, it has been about a week since anybody has heard anything from Mr. Goldstone or CTHE regarding the status of the repair process.
17) Amazingly enough, these "Glitchy" DVDs remain on store shelves.
18) "Replacement" DVDs have been received by a few people as of 12/06. In at least some cases, there is no difference between them and the original, and ALL continue to be missing the first Sweedish subtitle
Main threads on relevant sites:
Original Glitch Thread
Glitch Thread part 2(THIS Thread)
Original Glitch Thread
Glitch Thread, part 2
Link to Screen Caps:
CTHE Customer service email address: