Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Should I buy a Dreamcast?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 10:14 AM

I am basically looking for people to either talk me out of or into buying a Dreamcast system priced between $40 and $50. Money is a real issue for me and I haven't had a system since the Nintendo (original), so I don't know much about the gaming world. I guess my main concern is with the fact that since Sega has called it quits will it be hard to find games in a little while? The cheap prices and strong desire to get back to video games has pushed me to want to buy this system. What does every one think...is it worth it for me to do this, or should I just wait and get something later down the road when I can possibly afford it?

Thanks for your input.

-Eric

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 11:03 AM

I'd say buy it. For $40-50 bucks you can't go wrong. Obviously you are stuck with the line up of games that is out there now, but there are some good games for the Dreamcast. I really, really wish it was still being supported by Sega as I liked that machine a lot.
-Andre F
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 11:27 AM

Eric,

I would only recommend a Dreamcast if you have access to the massive backlog of used and out-of-print titles. Is there a store in your area (like Babbages, etc) that sells used DC games?

The current lineup of new DC titles in mainstream B&M's is extremely anemic right now, limited to a few licensed titles (sports, movies, etc). The Dreamcast is a wonderful system if you can get your hands on the (quickly dwindling) back catalogue of games. If you are sure you can, then go for it.

One of the best consoles I've ever owned (and my first one was in '78).

Joseph

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,186 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 12:04 PM

While the DC was a personal disappointment for me, its DEFINITELY worth $50. You should get it.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 12:32 PM

I would buy one for Soul Calibur alone! Posted Image

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 03:10 PM

Where can you get it for cheap?

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 04:55 PM

Scott,
The prices I listed were used prices and can get it for those prices at a few local stores.

Everyone else,
Thanks to everyone for the responses thus far. I would still like some more, but it seems everyone is saying to go for it. Now it is just up to me to find and decide on the best deal.

-Eric

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,950 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 06:47 PM

My Dreamcast died on me about six months ago and while I wouldn't pay $50 to get another one it just might be worth it for you. If you can find several interesting titles @ a good price then it is well worth the money.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted February 11 2002 - 11:15 PM

Its slightly dull agreement with everyone else, but if you can find the games to go with it then go for it, absolutely. My purchase of anything newer is now going back to the summer at least, as I'm still having too much fun with mine! In fact, I rather suspect it will tide me over until Mario arrives on the Cube. There are some of the best games ever created, and even those that have been ported to the more expensive consoles are best at home here.
mmm, thats odd.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Handy

Jason Handy

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 12:57 AM

Personally, I think you are 2 months late. The DC price dropped in mid-December and B&M stores began clearing out their stock. Now most of it is gone and you will need to rely on the honesty of Ebay sellers for games. Most stores still have things like controllers, memory cards, and vibration packs, but the game selection is drying up fast.

I would see what games you want to buy first. Determine if you can get your hands on them. If so, then the $50 investment is the smartest one you could make. And if you TV capable of progressive scan, the graphics of some games can rival those of the PS2 (in my opinion).

But I think you should have made this decision a couple months ago. Best of luck with your decision!

Jason
-------------------------
Enjoy Coke

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 01:14 AM

I picked one up at Christmas and I really enjoy it. Bestbuy has them new for around $50 and most of he games are $10.

You can also get a ton of cheap games at half.com. my favs right now are Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Blitz 2000 and one of the Tomb Raiders.
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   paul h

paul h

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 03:31 AM

Definitely if you can get one for that price i wouldnt hesitate...some great games for the DC like Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Virtua Tennis, UFC, Samba De Amigo, Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, Ooga Booga, NFL2K2, PSO, Daytona, Grandia2, MarvelvsCapcom, Code Veronica, SegaGT, Soul Reaver, MSR and others...

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 07:46 AM

I think this is a no-brainer. new console for the price of one xbox or PS2 game?

God -with games at 10 bucks, I think it's the biggest deal of the year.

Do yourself a favor and find a VGA adapter for it - the quality of the video when put into a monitor is much better - I think that it looks as good as PS2...
My HT equipment list: http://www.hometheat...ment/28518.html

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,186 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
God -with games at 10 bucks, I think it's the biggest deal of the year

That is, if you can find them.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 08:34 AM

I have not seen one in stores for months. I picked mine up on 9/9/99 for 199.99 and have no regrets. Posted Image
Michael

Video Game Tracker DVD Tracker DVD Profiler CD Tracker

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 11:41 AM

I dont know why you guys are having so much trouble finding games. My local EB, Media play and Babbages still have a good stock of DC games. Anything from Soul Calibur to Samba De Amigo. I just bought Spiderman, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis and Illbleed from EB 2 days ago.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill Slack

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted February 12 2002 - 12:59 PM

I have a DC I don't use. I have 9 or 10 games, 2 controllers, 2 VMU's, and extra memory card, and an extra arcade stick controller.

The games I have are Virtua Tennis, NFL 2k, WS 2k1 + 2k2, Soul Cailbur, MSR, SF3, NBA 2k1, and I think that covers it. Perhaps some other games I've forgotten...

If anyone is interested I'd consider selling it. If someone will give me ~$150 or a combination of money+trade, I would do it.

Is tennis going to be ported to the X-Box?? That's the game I really, really want, but never bought 2k2 because I was waiting for it to become cheap (and buy the vga box + transcoder).. and I'm a bit jobless right now and am trying to save money. Posted Image

It's in perfect condition. I got it the week the DC was released. It really is a sweet system...

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,186 posts

Posted February 13 2002 - 09:19 AM

All the 2K2 sports games are supposed to be on all consoles.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted February 13 2002 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
All the 2K2 sports games are supposed to be on all consoles.

Nope, not at all. All the *2K3* are supposed to be cross platform, but not all of the 2K2 ones are/will be. NHL2K2 is certainly not coming out for the other platforms I believe.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow