What's new

PC, Samsung HT-J4530 and lg 42pj550 (1 Viewer)

Ihya

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hi there,

I hope someone can kindly help. The title pretty much sums up the query. I'm after advice on how best to connect my PC to both my new Samsung HT-J4530 and TV (lg 42pj550). I connect my PC to TV via HDMI for netflix which works fine. Setup from HT-J4530 to TV via HDMI is wonderful too. Where I struggle however, is when I am streaming netflix from PC to TV and want to use the HT-J4530 for surround sound. Do I need to connect the PC directly to the home theatre to get the sound working? The HT-J4530 only has one HDMI port so how would I connect the PC to the HT-J4530 (if that is the correct approach?)

Looking through the manual offers no clear way of connecting these up and in browsing forums I have not been too lucky. This is probably a basic question that might be asked a lot, but any help would be really useful.

Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Samsung has an optical input. Does your computer have one?

ARC won't work between LG and Samsung. Otherwise, if your TV has an optical out, you can run audio from the TV to the HTiB.

Connections explained in your various owners manuals.

Ihya

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hi there,

Thank you so much for answering. Don't think I have the required port (below). Is there a workaround with what I do have?

new.jpg

Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only way to know if the sound card has a mini-Toslink is to find out which one you have.

Mini-Toslink connects to a standard 3.5mm(of which you have 5 on the right side). I'll throw a guess that the orange one, top left of the group, is main LR*. If it is...since it is orange, it is likely a mini-Toslink...

If it isn't main LR, then who knows.

But, you have 5. One is microphone. That leaves three for LR*, C/subwoofer, SR/SL and if the remaining is also audio(8 channel) SBR/SBL.

*if any of them are a mini-Tos, it is always LR.

(I looked at LG.COM and they don't mention an audio output on the TV. So...if your computer doesn't have a Mini-Toslink...you are out of luck on 5.1 from your computer...but...

Monoprice has an HDMI switch with toslink output. They have more than one. But only 1 preserves 5.1. Find that one.

Otherwise...a real audio system should be in your future)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Digital S/PDIF(Sony and Philips Digital InterFace) is the mini-Toslink.

But, per the article, limited to stereo(as it can't do "on the fly MCH").

So...

Real audio is in your future or a HDMI switch with 5.1 Toslink output.

Ihya

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thanks schan1269.

So the Toslink seems a decent approach. I live in the UK so was looking as this converter and cable setup as a possible solution. What do you think or do you know of a preferred converter for the job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Optical-Extractor-Converter-Splitter/dp/B00Y0920B4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447097198&sr=8-1&keywords=HDMI+switch+with+5.1+Toslink

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-TOSlink-Digital-Optical/dp/B00126JXLI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447097964&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+optical+cable

Thanks for this. I was considering trying to send the theater system back at one point but you have given me cause to hope! :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Other than you don't need a toslink anywhere near that expensive, those are what you need.

A £1 toslink is plenty. If there are any that inexpensive and if UK does "add-on" like the US does.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Ihya

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thanks schan for hanging on in here with this noob!

Ok, looking around amazon and ebay + general internet trawl, searching for toslink and hdmi, I'm not really seeing anything too cheap. Nothing as cheap as £1 sadly.

This is as good as its getting - unless anyone can recommend a cheap uk seller?

http://www.amazon.co...ith 5.1 Toslink

http://www.amazon.co...l optical cable

or would be very useful for extra hdmi ports so PS3 etc can use system also.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Switch-4X1-With-Audio-Toslink-Coaxial-Switcher-Controller-Device-3D-EU-Plug-/191648669426?hash=item2c9f269ef2:g:C7UAAOSw~gRVux~n

Ihya

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Apologies for resurrecting this post - family matters overtook sorting out my precious surround sound.

Just after a quick nod if this adapter is fit for what I need to connect PC to surround system - the previous suggestion above is no longer for sale in uk. Plus I could do with the HDMI switch function

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Switch-4X1-With-Audio-Toslink-Coaxial-Switcher-Controller-Device-3D-EU-Plug-/191648669426?hash=item2c9f269ef2:g:C7UAAOSw~gRVux~n&clk_rvr_id=961113370225&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Thank you in advance & Happy New Year.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks