What's new

What Exactly is Lossless audio? (1 Viewer)

smurr051958

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott murr
Sorry for the lack of knowledge here but I keep seeing this term "Lossless" audio in reviews and don't have the faintest idea what it means! Can someone throw some explanations my way? Much appreciated

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
smurr051958 said:
Sorry for the lack of knowledge here but I keep seeing this term "Lossless" audio in reviews and don't have the faintest idea what it means! Can someone throw some explanations my way? Much appreciated
Hi Scott!

My take on "Lossless" audio, is that it's a high bitrate audio format, which preserves the full quality of the original sound source.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is a topic better suited to one of the technical forums :) And maybe it will generate some further discussion.

Chuck King

Agent
"Lossless" audio has nothing to do with bit-rate but rather it has to do with the way the audio data is compressed. Formats like mp3 and DD actually selectively discard audio information (frequencies) to compress the data size. Once that information is lost, it can never be regained.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks