What's new

Yogi Berra passes away at 90! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
RIP to the coolest to ever play, Yogi Berra

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/646570328441815041

Anything less than a national day of mourning just might be unacceptable
As a life-long Yankee fan in which Yogi was a big part of my childhood growing up in the NYC Metro area, today is one of the saddest days of my life. May he R.I.P. Yogi will forever have a special place in Yankee and Mets fans hearts, but baseball fans in general.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/13721488/yogi-berra-new-york-yankees-legend-hall-famer-dies-age-90

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/23/us/yogi-berra-death/index.html

This morning I was at the supermarket and almost bought some Yoo-hoo in tribute to Yogi. :) For those that don't know, Berra was the pitch man for that chocolate drink back in the day. I can still see him doing those commercials.

Another thing about Yogi, is that today, he's an underrated ball player. At this year's all-star game they had Johnny Bench as one of the five greatest living baseball players. That didn't sit well with me because Berra's accomplishments dwarfs Bench's. Yogi was a three-time MVP, finished in the top four voting, seven different times, 15 all-star appearances and winning 10 World Series championships as a player which is the all-time record.

Of course, Yogi is famous for his quotes. My favorite Yogi-ism is "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six". The following link has many of his Yogi-isms listed:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/y/yogi_berra.html

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Phil Rizzuto, Yogi Berra...my childhood heroes. We were blessed to have Yogi around with us this long. By all accounts, he was a sweet, decent man--and funny, to boot--as well as a great ballplayer.

P.S. He was a WWII vet also, having landed on the beaches on D-Day.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yogi played before my time, but the stories of him are legendary. Unfortunately, I only am old enough to have seen him as a manager. He was one of the truly great characters in all of sports.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Don't know much about baseball fan but I am a Yogi Berra fan and of the "Yogi-isms" :) So much could be learned by so many people by simply listening to the wisdom.

RIP Mr Berra - deepest condolences to his family and friends. You will be missed!

Regards

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
And of course the obvious Headline "It's Over"

A show or old dais with Uecker and Berra on together must have been a riot. i was never under any circumstance a Yankee or Mets fan, but I was a Yogi fan from the first time I say him on Carson.

''Always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise they won't go to yours.''

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Full respect from this Dodgers, Red Sox, A's fan to the late Yankee great. The first World Series I have any memory of is '63, the last of his many appearances in the Fall Classic against the Dodgers. RIP Yogi.

"90 percent of baseball is mental. The other half is physical."

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks