What's new
World Wide Stereo

Advice Needed on TV Placement (1 Viewer)

heldmacm

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello,

We have debated whether or not it'd be prudent to have a TV in our formal living room, as it'd be nice to have one during the handful of times during the winter we have a fire in our wood-burning fireplace. Perhaps we'd use it more often if we were able to watch TV while we have a fire going. Anyway, I'm not crazy about hanging a TV over the fireplace (due to concerns over the heat from the fireplace and potentially straining your neck looking up at the TV). However, I'm not sure if there is another viable placement option in the room, which I've included a picture of, but I'd like to get some input from others. If there's not a usable spot, we'll likely just forget about a TV in this room, but if you think hanging an LCD above the fireplace or in another part of the room is an option, please let me know.

There is approximately 33" between the fireplace mantel and the trim work along the ceiling, and the viewing distance from the front of the sofa (which is behind the ottoman) to the wall is approximately 8'. I didn't take the picture from the sofa in order to show more of the room within the same picture. If you have any feedback or suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150912_155241.jpg
    20150912_155241.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 27
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Possible to show more of the layout?

I have a fireplace on 1 side of my viewing room - with all of the gear on the parallel walls - fronts, sub and TV in front, surrounds in back. In your setup, my couch would be under the clock, with my TV where the camera was when taking the photo...

If at all possible, avoid hanging the TV over the fireplace...

Here is what my setup looks like...

Setup-Picture.png

heldmacm

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, my options are fairly limited because the living room is open to rooms to the left and right of the fireplace, so there's not a wall to place the TV on as there is in your setup. Where you have the TV is where the transition is from my living room to dining room. The wall opposite the fireplace has a very large window and is the front wall of the house.

If that doesn't make sense, just let me know, and I'll take another photo or two.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
OK - so having the fireplace on the side wall is not an option....

Coming up with some more ideas for you...

- In a previous house - I had the fireplace behind the couch - that would place the TV in front of your windows. Blackout curtains and a stand of some kind may work...I live in California, so I don't use my fireplace at all...

- Could try a right of/left of the fireplace placement of the display device - far enough away to not get too hot if you are using the fireplace. You would have the window on the back wall with reflections - but black out curtains can fix that as well...

- Could go with a projection system - with a drop down screen that would go in front of the fireplace. Would not be able to watch it and have a fire at the same time though...you could try a drop down screen that divides the two rooms and has the side placement...

heldmacm

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks again for the feedback. It sounds like to the left or right of the fireplace (far enough that both could be used at the same time) would be our best bet. I'll probably put together some pieces of paper and tape them to the wall to simulate a TV to try to gauge how one would look there. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks