What's new

Wes Craven RIP (1 Viewer)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Wes Craven, the film director famous for reinventing the youth horror genre with Nightmare on Elm Street and the Scream movies, has died at 76, after a battle with brain cancer. In addition to his famous horror films, Mr. Craven directed Meryl Streep in Music of the Heart, which earned her an Oscar nomination.

Attachments

• Wes-Craven.jpg
    Wes-Craven.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 40

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I was surprised when he directed Red Eye, because it was a flick not rated R, and wasn't very bloody. It turned out to be a very lean thriller that clocked in at 87 minutes and was a model for how to do that kind of film right. RIP, Wes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The best line I've heard: Nobody goes to sleep wishing for a nightmare, but if you have one tonight, may it be worthy of a Wes Craven film.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Saturday night my girlfriend and I were at a concert when I started talking about how many of the people I grew up watching or listening to are now in their 70s and 80s and probably wouldn't be around much longer. This news certainly shocked me last night as I had no idea he was battling health issues. It's hard to leave a mark in this genre yet he did it with at least four different pictures. I've been stocking up the releases to watch them this Halloween but I might have to go ahead and view them as a tribute.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
JohnS said:
When we do the Halloween challenge this year, we're gonna have to do some kind of honor viewing list of his movies.

Looking over his list of films, I'm shocked at how many I've not seen: Last House on the Left, Serpent and the Rainbow, The People Under the Stairs, Shocker, The Hills Have Eyes 1 and 2, and I haven't seen Scream since 1994 or so - yeah, looks like I'll be deviating from my intended viewing list just a touch.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
It's hard to leave a mark in this genre yet he did it with at least four different pictures.
Yeah, it's easy to lionize a person's entire output when they die but The Last House On The Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare On Elm Street and Scream are all legitimate classics that horror fans will remember for years to come. I'd also say that Scream 2, Scream 4, Red Eye and especially Wes Craven's New Nightmare are better than most people give them credit for. Even the movies that he made that weren't entirely successful (Deadly Blessing, The Serpent And The Rainbow, Shocker, The People Under The Stairs and My Soul To Take) were still interesting and are deserving of a reappraisal.

Tony, you're better off skipping The Hills Have Eyes Part 2. It's a very short movie and it's still compromised of a lot of footage from the first movie (even the dog has a flashback!). Craven said that he needed a paycheck so he did it and the movie sat on the shelf for a couple years before it got released after A Nightmare On Elm Street became a hit.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Tony J Case said:
Looking over his list of films, I'm shocked at how many I've not seen: Last House on the Left, Serpent and the Rainbow, The People Under the Stairs, Shocker, The Hills Have Eyes 1 and 2, and I haven't seen Scream since 1994 or so - yeah, looks like I'll be deviating from my intended viewing list just a touch.
If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can watch his TV movie, "Chiller" for free.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Tony, you're better off skipping The Hills Have Eyes Part 2. It's a very short movie and it's still compromised of a lot of footage from the first movie (even the dog has a flashback!). Craven said that he needed a paycheck so he did it and the movie sat on the shelf for a couple years before it got released after A Nightmare On Elm Street became a hit.

Ouch - okay, I might let that one slip past then. We'll see how much I enjoy the first one.

JohnS said:
If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can watch his TV movie, "Chiller" for free.

I don't have one, but I have a friend who does. I'll have to see if he'll come over for Pizza and Beer and Horror Flicks some night.

Also, I dont know if it's just me, but I really liked Deadly Blessing. An Amish slasher flick? Brilliant!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Very sad, RIP Wes.

IMO, WC had a lot more misses than hits as a director, but his hits, such as the original Elm Street, are legendary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks