What's new

3D HONDO is coming to 3DGO! (1 Viewer)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I'd never heard of this, so I checked it out on my tv. The app has Hondo ready to rent, it seems. But boy, I gotta tell ya, what a lousy selection of movies. I'll keep my eye on it though.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
3DGo is a nice brand name for selling streaming 3-D titles.

Unfortunately, it's access is poor since it can only be streamed through select 3DTV's.

Vudu and Netflix' 3-D streaming reaches more subscribers via the PS3 and LG Blu-Ray players, but both do a lousy job promoting their 3-D titles.

lykitiz

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy
bgart13 said:
I'd never heard of this, so I checked it out on my tv. The app has Hondo ready to rent, it seems. But boy, I gotta tell ya, what a lousy selection of movies. I'll keep my eye on it though.

I'm curious why you think the selection is lousy? Last I checked 3DGO had over 100 3D titles. Mostly studio 3D films with a few IMAX type documentaries. The main studio they seem to be missing for some reason is Warner Bros., so yes I agree there are a few quality titles that are missing there...

lykitiz

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy
revgen said:

Unfortunately, it's access is poor since it can only be streamed through select 3DTV's.

Vudu and Netflix' 3-D streaming reaches more subscribers via the PS3 and LG Blu-Ray players, but both do a lousy job promoting their 3-D titles.

3DGO's facebook page said 3DGO is coming to Samsung in September. That should make 3DGO available on most 3DTVs except Sony I think. I've used the service and the streaming quality is very close to blu ray quality in my opinion.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
lykitiz said:
3DGO's facebook page said 3DGO is coming to Samsung in September. That should make 3DGO available on most 3DTVs except Sony I think. I've used the service and the streaming quality is very close to blu ray quality in my opinion.

That's a positive step in the right direction, if it does happen.

But, it still doesn't solve the problem for those who use projectors from Optoma, BenQ, Epson, JVC, etc. Also older Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV's. A Blu-Ray player solution like Netflix & PS3 has with PS3 and LG Blu-Ray players would be much more beneficial for those who don't watch 3D on TV's.

lykitiz

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy
revgen said:

But, it still doesn't solve the problem for those who use projectors from Optoma, BenQ, Epson, JVC, etc. Also older Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV's. A Blu-Ray player solution like Netflix & PS3 has with PS3 and LG Blu-Ray players would be much more beneficial for those who don't watch 3D on TV's.

Agreed 100%. Before I bought my LG 3DTV I used to use my Blu Ray player to stream everything to my Sony 3DTV. In certain cases a streaming device is a more convenient (and in some cases only) option.

It sounds like streaming devices are the next priority for 3DGO after they launch on Samsung 3DTVs next month. I think that will help a lot.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
McCrutchy said:
Echoed as loudly and clearly as possible. I'm not much into 3D, but I would definitely buy a 3D BD of Hondo, particularly as Paramount has the resources to do the disc right. Perhaps crowdfunding a special limited release is the answer?
McCrutchy said:
Echoed as loudly and clearly as possible. I'm not much into 3D, but I would definitely buy a 3D BD of Hondo, particularly as Paramount has the resources to do the disc right. Perhaps crowdfunding a special limited release is the answer?
Crowdfunding to subsidise Paramount, a multimillion dollar, multinational company? I'm sure they'd be all for it.

May Paramount should put its hand in its own pocket instead of ours.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know Vizio does not but does Panasonic still make 3D TV's? Good thing that Samsung is adding this service. I have a Sony 3D TV and they have their own 3D streaming service so I doubt they will add 3DGO.

lykitiz

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy
RolandL said:
I know Vizio does not but does Panasonic still make 3D TV's? Good thing that Samsung is adding this service. I have a Sony 3D TV and they have their own 3D streaming service so I doubt they will add 3DGO.

Sony still has their own streaming service? I thought they canceled that ages ago. Now that I have my LG 3DTV I never use the 3D on my old Sony. What kind of content do they have?

Interesting that LG killed their own 3D streaming app when picked up 3DGO. The problem with a lot of these services (like LG) was that the content was brutally bad so I think 3DGO was a win-win for them. If Sony has some decent content I'll have to fire up the old TV again...

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
lykitiz said:
I'm curious why you think the selection is lousy? Last I checked 3DGO had over 100 3D titles. Mostly studio 3D films with a few IMAX type documentaries. The main studio they seem to be missing for some reason is Warner Bros., so yes I agree there are a few quality titles that are missing there...
I went thru everything they had and an overwhelming majority appeared to be family and kid oriented -- animation, etc. -- things I definitely will not watch. I may revisit Hugo, never seen Tin Tin, and haven't seen any of the superhero movies in 3D -- but I'm in no hurry for *any* of those. I was to at least see some more non-bd released titles along the lines of Hondo.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
lykitiz said:
Sony still has their own streaming service? I thought they canceled that ages ago. Now that I have my LG 3DTV I never use the 3D on my old Sony. What kind of content do they have?

Interesting that LG killed their own 3D streaming app when picked up 3DGO. The problem with a lot of these services (like LG) was that the content was brutally bad so I think 3DGO was a win-win for them. If Sony has some decent content I'll have to fire up the old TV again...

I haven't looked at it in a long time so, maybe they did cancel it. I think they still have a streaming service for movies and some of them are 3D on the PS3.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
revgen said:

lykitiz said:

revgen said:

Let me echo the comments here. Does anyone know if Roku devices support 3D? My 3D display is a Panny plasma, and apart from a 3DGO app being made available on PS3 or Sony BD players, would really be the only way I would be willing/able to support this.

EDIT: I scrolled down a little further and it looks like the app may be available for my Panny. *fingers crossed*

I further note that 3DGO is a Sensio service, so hopefully more partners will come online, and soon. It may be one of the last hopes for us 3D faithful.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
revgen said:
That's nice, except for the fact that my 3DTV isn't supported.

Oddly, my LG has the app for this but it doesn't work. Then I found out it's only for TVs not older than 2 years. Jeez, why not do a firmware update and supply the damn thing?! So...the hell with them. I can get it from 3D-BlurayRental. I've had it with these outfits that can't provide 3D access to people with 3D-capable players, receivers, TVs.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
RJ992 said:
Oddly, my LG has the app for this but it doesn't work. Then I found out it's only for TVs not older than 2 years. Jeez, why not do a firmware update and supply the damn thing?! So...the hell with them. I can get it from 3D-BlurayRental. I've had it with these outfits that can't provide 3D access to people with 3D-capable players, receivers, TVs.

Great.

My TV model is the Samsung F8500, which is two years old, so hopefully it's still supported even if it's no longer being produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks