What's new

Active subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

frank1966

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Hello all,

iam new to this forum. I just bought the Samsung home theater HT-J5500w and the subwoofer is terrible! Iam use to an active powered woofer. I have a monster one from an old Sony set up, doubt I can use it. Its a coaxal plug in. So what can I buy to plug into my Samsung? I take it I must match the OHM rating correct?

thanks

Frank

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You can't use a powered sub with a system that doesn't have a subwoofer preout.

If you're disappointed in the performance of the Samsung, you should consider ditching it altogether and getting an AVR and real speaker package that will provide a foundation to which you can add/grow in the future.

If budget is tight, check out the refurb options from Accessories4Less. Any pre-packaged Home Theater system from Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo that uses a powered subwoofer would be a much better option.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also, re-reading your post - if you're suggesting getting a "better" passive subwoofer to use with the Samsung, I don't think you'll do much better. Trying to get more performance out of a passive subwoofer attached to a HTiB system simply won't work. The more power you funnel to the sub, the more the rest of the system will suffer. It only draws a certain number of watts from the wall, and it's not likely very many.

frank1966

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Thanks for the quick replies! I have an old monster receiver with an active sub which I loved, I cant seem to figure out how to run it with my new TV. It seems odd to use such old technology with a brand new TV? Its s Sony with so many RCA jacks on the back. Ive only used it as a radio. Can anyone give me a run down on what connects to what when I use a receiver? I have TV, cable box, receiver, and DVD player. I would like to use the receivers speakers when watching tv as well.

thanks

frank1966

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Iam not happy with the bass response, I like everything else. Why would they make such great technology and skimp out on the bass response?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Because good bass performance isn't cheap. if you were only willing to pay ~$300 for your system, I doubt you’d be willing to pay what it would cost to include a decent sub.

By most accounts, the cheapest you can get a sub that’s worth having is ~ $150 (and the field at that price is extremely limited). If your $300 HT system came a sub that good, it would run the price up to probably at least $450. Would you have been willing to pay that much? If not, then there’s your answer.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
While RobertJ is correct on the high level input...

I am not sure the 15watts the HTiB delivers(no, that system is not whatever it says...) with its 10% distortion is going to be enough signal to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks