What's new

Rear speakers not working when watching non HD channels (1 Viewer)

senbraja

Auditioning
Real Name
Senthil Raja
Hi,

I have VU 50 inch TV and using Philips HTB5580D blue ray home theater, when playing home theater alone using USB device or Blue Ray disk or DVD, everything works fine. When I want to watch TV, the surround sound is not working on non HD channels and the front and rear speakers not working. But the center and woofer works fine. I connected the TV and the theater using Optical cable since my TV don't support ARC. Also, when watching HD channels the rear speakers not working(no sound output), I feel that the non HD channels don't support 5.1 sound, so the front and rear speakers produce very low volume and sounds like crrrrrrrrrrr, no proper output.

Sometime everything works fine when playing HD channels, if I change the channel and come back to HD, the rear speakers stops. I want all the speakers to work when watching HD and Non HD channels.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I can't find the specific manual for that model online, but the basic problem is that even when using a "digital" optical output from the TV, the audio is downmixed to 2.0 stereo.

The only way to "get sound from all the speakers all the time" is to use some sort of surround processing - like Dolby ProLogic - when you are listening to audio that originates in the TV. This will take the stereo input and simulate digital surround sound.

Not sure if the ability to activate Dolby ProLogic will be accessible via the remote control, or within the menus of the surround sound system - you may have to check the manual.

Hope this helps.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a Sony KDL55NX810 TV and it does send a DD 5.1 signal to my Yamaha receiver from my cable box and PS3. If you select on the Sony TV Speakers its 2 channel Dolby ProLogic but if you select Audio System its DD 5.1.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Roland - that's very unusual, consider yourself fortunate! :)

Even if the OPs display does send 5.1, it wouldn't for any SD programming, since SD does not support 5.1. The OP needs to understand that just because something is HD, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to have 5.1 audio, and just because you have 5 speakers and a subwoofer doesn't mean they all have to be used all the time.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
senbraja said:
Hi,

I have VU 50 inch TV and using Philips HTB5580D blue ray home theater, when playing home theater alone using USB device or Blue Ray disk or DVD, everything works fine. When I want to watch TV, the surround sound is not working on non HD channels and the front and rear speakers not working. But the center and woofer works fine. I connected the TV and the theater using Optical cable since my TV don't support ARC. Also, when watching HD channels the rear speakers not working(no sound output), I feel that the non HD channels don't support 5.1 sound, so the front and rear speakers produce very low volume and sounds like crrrrrrrrrrr, no proper output.

Sometime everything works fine when playing HD channels, if I change the channel and come back to HD, the rear speakers stops. I want all the speakers to work when watching HD and Non HD channels.
Use the information button on the TV to determine what audio format it's receiving first. As Jason pointed out, not all HD broadcasts will be in DD 5.1. Optical out aka SPDIF will only carry DD 5.1 or PCM 2.0 IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks