What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Prime Cut -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I like dark.

And Michael Ritchie's 1972 sunlit noir drama, is one of my favorites.

It beautifully stands the test of time.

The interplay between Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman is classic, and young Sissy Spacek's first real feature role is a standout.

The new Blu-ray courtesy of CBS via Kino is derived from a dupe, and could have been both sharper, ie. more highly resolved, as well as cleaner.  How often do we get to see cement stains printed through from the original element?

Problems aside the film demands your viewing attention.

From the first time I saw this film theatrically in 1972, I've never forgotten the name of Mr. Hackman's character -- Mary Ann.  Gotta love it!

Image - 3.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Stylized gangster flick I first saw at the theatre and now on BD. Great performances and some nice set pieces maake this a winner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't buy this release because I have the German BD which I thought was very good. I always liked this film.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Prime Cut is a bizarre and often darkly comic film loaded with strange situations, characters and excellent performances. I love this film and for whatever it is worth so does Quentin Tarantino...the influence this had on him seems pretty obvious. Mary Ann and Weenie are quite a memorable pair of villains that certainly seem like a blueprint for future Tarantino work. Marvin storms through the film doing his absolute best badass. Just a lot of fun and a very unique piece of work. If you have never seen this you are really in for a fun night in your home cinema.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Watched it over the weekend. Great film, hadn't seen it in years. The BD is very good, not great, as with many of the KLSC releases but surely the best we'll ever see of this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks