What's new

Help Sony receiver stopped decoding high end audio. (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sony receiver str-dn840 and a Sony blu ray player just a little over a year old. The receiver correctly decoded all audio formats until last week. Now dts-ma becomes dts and dolby digital plus and dolby true HD become dolby digital. I have quadruple checked all the settings on the blu player and receiver. Returned both to factory settings and started over and I also replaced the hdmi cable with a brand new one.
Any ideas. Receiver is bad? Blu Ray is bad? Seems weird that either would be bad that soon. Everything else is working on both.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It actually doesn't have a selection for Bitstream. Just digital audio output which has a choice of either auto or pcm. It is set to auto.
The blu ray player displays the correct audio format but the receiver is no longer decoding it correctly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like it could be a handshake problem. The receiver should be telling you what signal it is receiving.

When in doubt, unplug the power from both the BR player and receiver, wait a couple minutes, then plug them back in. You have to disconnect the power.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Tried unplugging and also updating software still no luck. It does sound like a handshake issue but they were working for a year and then suddenly stopped. Starting to think that there is a problem with either the blu ray or the receiver.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My suggestion would be to play a disc that the Sony Receiver properly decoded before.

Also, in response to a previous post, Randy already tried a brand new HDMI Cable, which didn't solve his issue.

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks