What's new

Regarding new systems and troubleshooting an old one... (1 Viewer)

Stephen Eskins

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Ok, so, I'll try and paint this picture with as few strokes as possible.

I bought a Sony HTiB back in college in 2009 (I know, I know..) and it's finally starting to fade away. The issue that's been occurring is that either one of the front surround speakers or the rear left speaker will suddenly "short out" while I'm watching a movie or playing a game. If I turn the volume up extremely loud, it will correct itself and all audio will be coming out just fine. There's no static or any audible noise accompanying the problem, but it's as if the sound itself just has a problem coming out of the speaker.

SO having said that, I am looking for a replacement. However, would it be best to buy a new one altogether? Or could I replace just the receiver?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Can't know for certain without a model number, but if it's a budget HTiB system, chances are very good that those speakers have low impedance (3 or 4 ohms - would be in the manual if you still have it), in which case you can't simply reuse them with another receiver.

Most budget systems ($400 and less) are pretty much paperweights if any of the components start to croak.

The next step up from a HTiB would be a "pre-packaged" system. These are different from HTiB systems in that they are built around an actual AVR with replaceable (6 or 8 ohm) speakers. They still lack in overall performance when compared to pricier systems, but they provide an upgrade path.

Pre-packaged systems (Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha make them) start at around $400 or so (refurb from reputable dealers, like Accessories4less). In fact, here's a decent Onkyo system for $380.

That's just an example. If you can provide a budget, we may be able to suggest other alternatives.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stephen:

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Whenever a thread like this comes up, I always jump in to say that my son has one of the Onkyo systems like in the link posted by Jason and I can vouch that it sounds terrific. And, whenever he'd like, he has the ability to upgrade that system piece-by-piece. And lots of inputs on the receiver as you might add components.

Stephen Eskins

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Mike Frezon said:
Stephen:

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Whenever a thread like this comes up, I always jump in to say that my son has one of the Onkyo systems like in the link posted by Jason and I can vouch that it sounds terrific. And, whenever he'd like, he has the ability to upgrade that system piece-by-piece. And lots of inputs on the receiver as you might add components.

Jason Charlton said:
Can't know for certain without a model number, but if it's a budget HTiB system, chances are very good that those speakers have low impedance (3 or 4 ohms - would be in the manual if you still have it), in which case you can't simply reuse them with another receiver.

Most budget systems ($400 and less) are pretty much paperweights if any of the components start to croak.

The next step up from a HTiB would be a "pre-packaged" system. These are different from HTiB systems in that they are built around an actual AVR with replaceable (6 or 8 ohm) speakers. They still lack in overall performance when compared to pricier systems, but they provide an upgrade path.

Pre-packaged systems (Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha make them) start at around $400 or so (refurb from reputable dealers, like Accessories4less). In fact, here's a decent Onkyo system for $380.

That's just an example. If you can provide a budget, we may be able to suggest other alternatives.

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome! I appreciate the feedback, guys. I'll do some digging once I get home from work and try to locate the model number and some other specs. I'd prefer to purchase from Best Buy (only because I have a good amount of rewards $ waiting to be used) and I'd say I could spend between $350-500.

I guess I just get a little lost when looking for replacements since a lot of the latest HTiBs come with 3D Blu Ray Players and things I have no need for - PS4 is my default Blu Ray player & I don't have a 3D TV.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
It helps that you don't need a player... lots of times folks need a replacement for an HTiB and are kind of disappointed to learn that going with a pre-packaged system also requires getting a separate player.

In terms of choosing a pre-packaged system, virtually anything will be an improvement over what you had - however you should avoid choosing a pre-packaged system that includes a passive subwoofer. Passive subwoofers severely compromise the overall system performance and cannot be upgraded to active subwoofers.

This is the main reason we generally recommend the 5XXX systems from Onkyo over the 3XXX systems - the 3XXX are all passive subwoofers.

Not sure what the latest options are from BB, but let us know what you find and we can help make sure you pick the one that best suits your needs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stephen Eskins said:
I guess I just get a little lost when looking for replacements since a lot of the latest HTiBs come with 3D Blu Ray Players and things I have no need for - PS4 is my default Blu Ray player & I don't have a 3D TV.

Yeah. That really fits the bill for one of the Onkyo 5xxx systems. Jason is spot-on (as usual) in his post.

But you might run into a problem finding one of the Onkyo systems at Best Buy. My son got his at Amazon. The price of the refurb at Ac4L--posted above by Jason--is really good.

Stephen Eskins

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Yep, was just about to say that I am having trouble finding anything other than the 3xxx systems on BestBuy.com. Below is what I've found inside or near my price range:

Onkyo HT-S3700 $399

Yamaha YHT-4910UBL $429

Onkyo HT-S3500 $299

The only 5xxx system I found was HT-S5700 for $599, which is a bit more than I'd want to pay at the moment. I also saw a speaker system from them (SKSHT690), but it doesn't say anything about a receiver.

Again, I really appreciate the help - sorry for the amount of questions I have.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
IF...you could swing the purchase at ac4l, that might be the best way for you to hit your specs at that budget. Not sure how tied you are to buying at BB.

Amazon occasionally has run a closeout on an older system...but who knows when THAT might be?

But Jason is right about the passive subs on the 3xxx lines. They really inhibit your ability to upgrade down-the-road.

FWIW, ac4l also has that same Yamaha system (of which I am unfamiliar) for just $299 refurbed.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yeah, I saw that Yamaha system... it does have a powered sub, which is good, but overall it's not quite up to the level of the Onkyo systems.

Incidentally, how large of a room will this be used in? Pre-packaged system speakers are usually pretty inefficient (and that Yamaha system is no exception - low 80s for sensitivity) so you shouldn't expect to get real loud in a large room with the stock speakers. If it's going in a relatively smallish room, then you may still get satisfactory performance... but if there's any way to swing a better system from A4L...

Maybe you've got a buddy who needs stuff from BB and would give you cash in return? LOL.

Stephen Eskins

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Haha. Well, the only reason I'm particularly tied to Best Buy right now is because of that reward $. I should have a couple hundred $ when it's all said and done.

The room that it would be used in will be on the smaller scale.

Would any other Best Buy-available brands be worthwhile?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My son's Onkyo system is in a pretty big room and fills it nicely. And he hardly ever pushes it because he's in an apartment building.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
In looking at the BB site they really don't have any prepacks worth it IMO. You could go back down the HTiB but I wouldn't. Why don't you just get the AVR there an add in your own speakers from other sources?

Here are some AVR's that I would look at if you have to only shop at BB.

If you just have to get speakers at BB here are some sets that might do pretty good or at least get you off the ground. You could always upgrade in the future as you're coming from a HTiB either of these options would be as good if not better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks