What's new

Galaxy Quest TV show on the way (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Paramount's answer to Guardians of the Galaxy?

From Variety:

‘Galaxy Quest’ TV Series in the Works'

galaxy-quest-tv-show.jpg

Paramount Television is shopping a TV spin on the 1999 comedy “Galaxy Quest,” a spoof of the sci-fi TV show that starred Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver.
Robert Gordon, who co-wrote the DreamWorks feature with David Howard, is in negotiations to work on the TV adaptation, as are original director Dean Parisot and executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein. The movie’s conceit — revolving around the cast of a beloved 1970s sci-fi TV series who are inadvertently reunited for a real space trek to help an alien race — seems tailor-made for a series rendition.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
This is one of my most loved movies. I have probably watched this one more than any other except for possibly The Fifth Element.

But I have no clue how they will be able to get a multi-season TV show out of this without destroying the foundation of the original movie.

If they do end up making this, please, please PLEASE, don't let it suck.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If Tim Allen's 'Last Man Standing' series ends, I wonder if he'd be up to star in the Galaxy Quest series. That cast would be hard to recast. But MASH did okay.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
So, would the show be about the show "Galaxy Quest", as it made it's return to TV - as seen at the end of the movie? And then, what, actual alien race of the week shows up and needs the help of the "actors"?

I'm not sure I follow how this could be made into a weekly series, Would they go into a "real" space trek only during the "show's" hiatus? The movie was perfect as it was. I don't see how that could be expanded and actually work on a weekly basis.

Or, is it just a comedy about making a sci-fi TV show - in the vain of "The Gary Shandling Show" or "30 Rock"?

I'd need a bit more info.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, this makes no sense to me. The movie was the perfect parody take on Star Trek & it's fandom. Will the show just end up repeating all of the same jokes?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I would think it either has to be a comedy about making a TV sci-fi show (an interesting idea) OR the further exploits of the crew with a new cast either playing the same roles as the movie, or a "Next Generation" cast that is handed the legacy/secret from the original cast (a chance for an original cast cameo).

If you do the "30 Rock" idea, it could be a week to week episodic.

If you do any type of 'further exploits', I don't think you'd want to go 'alien of the week'. Rather, do one story for your 10-13 episode season. A single alien conspiracy/other worldly adventure that the crew gets pulled into.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think it has to be the making of a SciFi series. That gives you a lot more ground to work with. Episodes where they have to deal with conventions; episodes where they hate the script, storylines that don't make sense.. dealing with fans who are overly obsessed with continuity and the book/etc. I think that could be a VERY fun show.

A show about the continued exploits just leaves them in the same territory as a lot of SciFi programming with a plot that is hard to carry forward or make different. JMHO

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
mattCR said:
I think it has to be the making of a SciFi series. That gives you a lot more ground to work with. Episodes where they have to deal with conventions; episodes where they hate the script, storylines that don't make sense.. dealing with fans who are overly obsessed with continuity and the book/etc. I think that could be a VERY fun show.

A show about the continued exploits just leaves them in the same territory as a lot of SciFi programming with a plot that is hard to carry forward or make different. JMHO

Could be fun, but it wouldn't be Galaxy Quest, unless you can figure out a way to work real aliens into it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Maybe a Galaxy Quest show, if it finds an audience, would convince CBS to finally put Star Trek back on TV where it belongs.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
You know what would be fun, since the movie was a parody of TOS/TNG, this new show should mock the current modern day Trek shows. Like make the ships so dark they are bumping into walls and consoles, things like that.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This would be interesting if the tv show stayed the actual tv show that took place in the GQ universe, and didn't break the 4th wall like the movie and go into the actor's real lives.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I’m excited for this if it happens!

The film is one of my all-time favourites. If it’s using the same characters, it may be hard to replicate or top the cast, who all played their parts brilliantly and with a sly wink. 😉 But I’d love to see them try!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks