What's new

San Francisco movie theatres (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The last time I was in San Francisco was in 1978. I remember visiting three movie theatres but I don't remember their names. I think one of them might have been the Embasy. Maybe some of you can help.

One theatre you had to take an escalator to get to the mezzanine/candy counter area. I think the auditorium had opera seats on the sides and I saw Days of Heaven in 70mm 6-track stereo sound.

The second had an auditorium with a balcony that wrapped around to the side walls. I don't think there any any seats in the balcony or at least I couldn't see any people in them . I think the seats and walls were all in green. Saw Good Morning Vietnam.

The third theatre I think was by the Fisherman's Wharf. It looked newer than the previous two, maybe built in the 60's or later and was very large maybe 800 seats in the auditorium. Saw The Last Emperor in 70mm 6-track sound.

Thanks

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
RolandL said:
The last time I was in San Francisco was in 1978. I remember visiting three movie theatres but I don't remember their names. I think one of them might have been the Embasy. Maybe some of you can help.

One theatre you had to take an escalator to get to the mezzanine/candy counter area. I think the auditorium had opera seats on the sides and I saw Days of Heaven in 70mm 6-track stereo sound.

The second had an auditorium with a balcony that wrapped around to the side walls. I don't think there any any seats in the balcony or at least I couldn't see any people in them . I think the seats and walls were all in green. Saw Good Morning Vietnam.

The third theatre I think was by the Fisherman's Wharf. It looked newer than the previous two, maybe built in the 60's or later and was very large maybe 800 seats in the auditorium. Saw The Last Emperor in 70mm 6-track sound.

Thanks
Roland why not check old newspapers at your library .If they do not have them for S.F. then get an inter-library loan of the microfilms for the year that you want. Most large libraries in the world will do inter-library loans ,even Internationally.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Does anyone here live in S.F.? If so, are any theaters left on Market Street? That was the S.F. equivalent of 42nd Street once upon a time and I saw a western double feature at a theater there on a visit in Jan. 1974. (I still have the newspaper from that visit, so I could, if I find it, identify the exact theater I went to.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks