What's new

Best small speakers 5.1 home theater (1 Viewer)

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Hi I am new to the forum. I was wondering what you would recommend for a living room 5.1home theater system that would have small speakers. My wife loves the look of the Bose speakers due to their size and they sounded great at the Bose store. I was looking at their lifestyle and cinemate models and wanted to get your thoughts.

Also is there any better systems you would recommend with a similar size, as my wife does not like the look of larger speakers.

Thanks,
Carlos

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Carlos!

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

You came to the right place for opinions and input. But I warn you, there aren't a lot of members here who would steer you towards BOSE speakers. I'll let them explain why.

One of the things that helps us is to know if you have a budget. Do you need just speakers...or an entire sound system (including amplifier/receiver)? What do you already have? A TV?

And I will be the first to tell you that you are doing the right thing by listening to your wife's opinion before making your purchase. We consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to be quite important here! :biggrin:

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. We currently only have a TV. We did not want to spend more the what the Bose cost, which their higher end model was about $3,000 and the cinemate was about $1,500 so I was hoping today et something closer towards the cinemate price, but I am open to spending more if there is any speakers that would be worth the additional cost.

The main concern is the quality of the speakers and the size as we will mounting these on the wall next to the TV and my wife did not want large speakers.

Also I don't have a good layout to put a 7.1 (looks wise) so I will only be looking a 5.1 systems.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Fiutorres said:
Thanks for the quick reply. We currently only have a TV. We did not want to spend more the what the Bose cost, which their higher end model was about $3,000 and the cinemate was about $1,500 so I was hoping today et something closer towards the cinemate price, but I am open to spending more if there is any speakers that would be worth the additional cost.

The reason people will steer you away from Bose is that almost anything else in the same price range will sound better. With Bose, you're paying for the name (and the fact that it mainly competes with low-end gear in big-box stores -- that $1500 Bose set in Best Buy may sound better than the $500 set on the shelf next to it, but it won't beat a $1500 set from a higher-end manufacturer).

I haven't shopped for speakers in a while, myself, but I'm sure people will chime in with recommendations. When it comes to the speaker size, how big is too big for your wife?

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Ok thanks. There is no specific size requirement, just something small enough to be similar in size to the Bose sets.

We have the house setup with modern decor and don't want a large speaker taking away from the look of the living room.

I am open to any thoughts as to which speakers would work best for us.

Thanks,

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just checked on the dimensions of the $1500 Cinemate speaker dimensions:

Direct/Reflecting® Series II speakers (four of these)
  • Height: 7.5 in (19.1 cm)
  • Width: 3.3 in (8.4 cm)
  • Depth: 3.3 in (8.4 cm)
  • Weight: 2.28 lbs (1.0 kg)
Center speaker (one of these)
  • Height: 3.4 in (8.6 cm)
  • Width: 7.3 in (18.5 cm)
  • Depth: 3.3 in (8.4 cm)
  • Weight: 2.2 lbs (1.0 kg)

They are small. They also don't include a subwoofer but the standard BOSE acoustimass module.

Carlos: Another "problem" with the BOSE systems is that they are proprietary--that is, if something breaks, you need to replace it with a BOSE piece. And you also cannot upgrade at will. If you wanted to get a new receiver (maybe someday you'd want to upgrade to a 7.1 system, say), then you wouldn't be able to.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I would look at the following

AVR - Pick one...I went with the slimline models for the increased WAF factor
Speakers - Here are some smaller sets to look over.

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Perfect I will look at all these. Would you recommend all of these over the Bose as I see they are all cheaper? What are your thoughts on the definitive model?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Fiutorres said:
Perfect I will look at all these. Would you recommend all of these over the Bose as I see they are all cheaper? What are your thoughts on the definitive model?

I have not heard all these so I can't give a personal recommendation. I just picked some smaller 5.1 for you to check out. These sets are priced above where I usually play but I figured it would give you something to look at and run by the wife. I'm assuming that if she doesn't like the look it's a no go so run them by her to see what she likes.

I personally would take any of these sets over the Bose as they all have real subwoofers not just bass modules. I also like that I can change out the components as I wish and I'm not locked into a Bose system. I feel Bose is just too overpriced for what you get. IMO I have heard systems that cost a fraction of what a Bose setup does that sounds better.

I have heard good things about the DT sets but have only heard some different models in the Magnolia section of Best Buy. If you're interested in that set I think BB can order it in for you. They may have a demo setup where you can listen to it if they have the Magnolia section in store. It might be worth a phone call to see if they do have a demo unit of that set or one of the other sets in the DT line.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would also suggest--in terms of a subwoofer--the SVS SB12-NSD. It is currently on a closeout clearance sale for $469.99 with free shipping.

It would be hard to find that much sub at such a fantastic deal. I got an SVS PB-1000 a few years ago (and would normally be seconding Tony's recommendation for that or the SB-1000) or else would be all over that deal myself.

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Yes I recall seeing those in best buy. I will take a look a see how they sound. I will also look into the sub. Thanks. For the receiver are there any other models you recommend. The receiver is going to be in a cabinet so I'm not as worried about the size on that.

I seen some people recommend in denon receivers. What are your thoughts. What would work best with the Definitve if that's what I select.

Thanks for all the help.

mccambley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Casey
The Definitive Tech ProCinema speakers are a good choice. But I would look at the 800 system and upgrade the sub to a Def Tech SuperCube 200. Denon and Marantz are the same company D & M with Marantz being the premium brand but Denons are also a good buy. http://www.definitivetech.com/products/home-theater-speaker-systems/on-shelf-systems/ http://www.definitivetech.com/products/subwoofers/ http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avr2100w http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductListing.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Fiutorres said:
Yes I recall seeing those in best buy. I will take a look a see how they sound. I will also look into the sub. Thanks. For the receiver are there any other models you recommend. The receiver is going to be in a cabinet so I'm not as worried about the size on that.

I seen some people recommend in denon receivers. What are your thoughts. What would work best with the Definitve if that's what I select.

Thanks for all the help.

If you locate the AVR in a cab make sure you have enough ventilation to keep it happy. You don't won't to get a space that is exact fix as there won't be enough space for it to cool properly. Just keep that in mind.

If you're looking for some other recommendations I would look at these. Feel free to ask questions. I think I would go with either the refurb x1000 or the Yamaha 477 if you don't want wifi.

TimmyBosko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Bosko
Fiutorres said:

Hi.. About a year ago I had a Technics Rcvr/EQ/CD player and the Bose AM5 Acoustamass speakers. My wife bought me a new HT system for fathers day. Yamaha RX-V477 receiver, Energy CB-20 Bookshelf speakers (Can be wall mounted) and a Klipsch SW-350 sub and let me tell you the difference in sound was breathtaking.. Always believed Bose was the best sound but I was sadly mistaken for many many years.

Like mentioned before, with the Bose you are locked into replacing with Bose.. There is no mix and Match. I was unable to just upgrade the Bass Module..

Also for what you spend on the Bose, you can get a much better sound and much more flexibility. I can't tell you what to do but IMO you should listen to what folks are recommending here.. You won't be sorry. Good Luck with what ever you decide.

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
My wife went with me to the magnolia store and fell in love with the look of the in wall speakers.

Therefore would there be any brands and models you recommend. The magnolia guys reconvened sonance. I want a good system but want to keep the cost at around $3,500 or less. The lower the better since I will now have to pay an installer.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
PMJI (pardon me jumping in), but I just bought a Hsu Research (hsuresearch.com) subwoofer to complement my existing AVR and tower/surround speakers. Reading reviews of their products, I happened upon reviews of their combination sets (now called "Ultra"), which get glowing reviews, and include their superb subwoofers (not some smaller version for a HTIB application). Depending upon your budget, any of the 3.1 and 5.1 sets that include the VTF-2, VTF-3, or VTF-15H Mk2 sub would do well I believe they come in rosewood finishes that (hopefully) your Mrs. won't reject.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

I think the Hybrid 2, Hybrid 3, or Hybrid 15 HP systems would be smart purchases. (Avoid the Hybrid 15 Mk1, the VTF-15H Mk2 update is a big improvement, I wouldn't save a few measly bucks getting the older sub.)

Whatever you get, do NOT get a set with a smallish center. The Center speaker does a lot of the heavy lifting for movies, and deserves to be a Dave Bautista grade speaker, not David Spade grade.

I've used Yamaha amps for years, and prefer them. There are a lot of good AVRs out there. If you are a member of Costco, buying an AVR from them saves a bit of money, and Costco adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty. You can return in 90 days no questions asked. Selection is limited, but service is outstanding. Take that for what it is. They have been carrying the RXV-775 and an HTR-xxxx equivalent for a year or so.

If you can get an AVR with an automated set up feature (called YPAO by Yamaha), good! Setting their microphone in several positions around your listening area will store some adjustment data to correct the speakers' performane in your listening space, biases, etc. Very easy way to plug in, do a little set up, then enjoy a movie. Of course you can tweak later, and people here will help you rappel down the rabbit hole of hi-fi tweaking and adjusting.

I'm wary of in-wall speaker solutions. Once you get those speakers installed, you can't move them, swap out something different for a test. You're committed, stuck with them. Pffft. I would take your time and find nice looking speakers that you can set up on stands, or bookshelves, then resell locally later if/when you decide to change up.

Glad people here steered you away from Bose theater systems. Year after year, when I hear them, I cringe more and more. I actually have 1993 era speakers which continue to perform relatively well for what they are (mid-grade consumer speakers, not audiophile quality). In the late 1990s, they degraded their designs, construction quality, and started aggressively promoting the Acoustimess [sic] ;) systems ... and I've given up on them. Telling example: they sell adequate $50 headphones for $120. And claim they're worth $200 ;) For the money you spend on a full Bose system (you mentioned $3500?!) you could get a seriously delicious sounding system that the wife wouldn't frown at, and will reassure you that you didn't get hoodwinked by a brand name.

Hope this helps....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks