What's new

Dipping my toes into digital movies: UV/VUDU or Amazon? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I may be buying a couple of movies for the first time tonight to stream through my TiVo Roamio. I can use VUDU for Amazon. Is one especially better than the other? I get points on my Amazon credit card for buying through them. Prices are the same, though maybe I can get a VUDU deal through the for-sale forum.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Or, of the two movies I want to watch, I can buy one on Blu at BestBuy for $30 and rent the other at RedBox for $2.

I'm finding the classifieds not the right approach for impulse purchasing :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And to answer my own question: Amazon Instant Video, which allows rentals, plus Redbox for newer movies.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
DaveF said:
I may be buying a couple of movies for the first time tonight to stream through my TiVo Roamio. I can use VUDU for Amazon. Is one especially better than the other? I get points on my Amazon credit card for buying through them. Prices are the same, though maybe I can get a VUDU deal through the for-sale forum.
VUDU. It's a no-brainer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In this particular case, I went with Amazon because it had a rental option (My wife wanted to watch Captain America for valentines day. Go figure :) ).

I'll look for Vudu next time. It seems more multi-platform, multi-device than Amazon could be.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
DaveF said:
In this particular case, I went with Amazon because it had a rental option (My wife wanted to watch Captain America for valentines day. Go figure :) ).

I'll look for Vudu next time. It seems more multi-platform, multi-device than Amazon could be.
Vudu is more muti platform and has rentals too.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
macfan601 said:
Vudu is more muti platform and has rentals too.

For a few lucky weeks, until they revert to purchase only. (I'm guessing Mrs. F wanted to watch the 3D?)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ironically I need advice here.

Just redeemed some codes(just to do it) and I get to Cpt. America Winter Soldier.

I've already redeemed Winter Soldier. It shows up nowhere. Vudu to DMA and DMA to Vudu constantly says "please link".

Done that. Then when I click to use it, it says to link...again. Proceed it says "are you sure you want to un-link"...

What. The. Hell?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
DaveF said:

Dave, sorry I didn't see this until now - I've used both for rentals (and iTunes via AppleTV as well). I end up using Vudu most often (whether it's a rental, a disc to digital upgrade or a rare purchase, plus my Ultraviolet library is accessible there). I think overall they have better streaming quality. But I've used Amazon and iTunes and been pretty satisfied with both. I like the theoretical portability of UV. In my experience, sometimes iTunes and Amazon rentals are slightly cheaper than Vudu, but overall I keep returning to Vudu when all other things are equal.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Have to agree that Vudu is the best option. There are so many ways to get cheap movies from Vudu. First, there's the ability to convert DVD's or blu-rays to digital for $2 per disc. Second you can redeem codes that comes with your discs. Third, you can even buy just the redemption codes all over the internet for about $5 bucks a pop. Totally awesome. I've got about 700 movies in my collection, and probably spent an average of 3 per movie for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. Lots of good info and perspectives here. This was an impulse "buy". We wanted to watch both Capt Anerica films tonight, inspired by Agent Carter. How to get them in an afternoon?

I can't find them in HTF for-sales. And no one responded to my broad inquiry. It's not set up for impulse buys.
Buy the blu-Rays for $60? Not what I want.
Vudu has them for $15 to buy. Not bad, but not great.
Amazon has the first for rental, but not the second.
Red box has Winter Soldier for rent but not the original.

So I stream the first from Amazon. And rent a blu from red box for the second.

If I were buying, Vudu seems a good option. For renting, Amazon now gets my first look for being successful my first try.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Joshua Clinard said:
Have to agree that Vudu is the best option. There are so many ways to get cheap movies from Vudu. First, there's the ability to convert DVD's or blu-rays to digital for $2 per disc. Second you can redeem codes that comes with your discs. Third, you can even buy just the redemption codes all over the internet for about $5 bucks a pop. Totally awesome. I've got about 700 movies in my collection, and probably spent an average of 3 per movie for it.

(Rental just doesn't exist to you people, does it? :wacko: )

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ejanss said:
(Rental just doesn't exist to you people, does it? :wacko: )
What do you mean "you people"? I have over 9800 discs in my collection, but I still rent using Vudu, Warner Instant, Amazon Prime and Apple TV.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Where do you but just the codes for $5? Not eBay is it, I just don't trust eBay. Have you ever paid for a code and then it told you it had already been redeemed when you used it, that would be my fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks