What's new

Do I need an AV receiver or an integrated amp? (1 Viewer)

BrownChickenBrownCow

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Hello home theater experts,I am interested in getting a second opinion compared to what I have been told by the salespeople at the Hi-Fi store.I have a 60" TV and two DALI Lektor 2 bookshelf speakers directly on the left and right of the TV - thus I have a 2.0 setup with the mains standing 55" (140 cm) apart. I think the imaging and phantom center should work well. Two of us sit 12.5' (3.8 m) away from the screen.The sales people told me the best is just to get an integrated amp in stereo mode and be done with it. I inquired about an AV Receiver, and they said that it is pointless unless I have a 5.1 setup. They also told me the amp will sound MUCH better than the AVR for both music and TV/movies. I'll probably listen to music around 20-25% of the time.The models in question are:Integrated amp: Cambridge Audio Minx XiAV Receiver: Sony STR-DN850Should I take their word for it and just go for the stereo amp?The reasons I am considering an AV Receiver are:- It is made for the home theater, and perhaps has some benefit for movies?- It has many more features such as on-screen menus and more streaming options.- I will have the possibility to add channels down the line.Are there any other benefits to the AV receiver (or Amp for that matter) over the other, and what would you home theater experts advise I do?I look forward to your feedback :)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If you plan on adding more channels in the near future, then get an AV amp, other wise, I agree with the sales people considering your current setup. Streaming can be achieved by other devices. The on-screen menus may be nice but will not provide you really any audio or video benefits.

The other advantage of AV amps, even if you will not get additional channels, is that other components can plug into it so it becomes the hub of your system. But again, if you do not plan on this happening, go with the what the sales people suggested.

Integrated amp possibly sounds better (depending on the comparison units) because its power supply is dedicated to two channels while with an AV amp, the power supply has to power 5 to 7 discrete amplifiers and is usually not up to snuff, unless you go closer to the high end line of AV receivers. I found this to be the case when I switched from a B&K AVR 501 to a Denon. The Denon is "rated" at 140 wpc but was not as powerful as my B&K which is rated at 125 wpc (it was most notable when I listened to music). Why? Because the power supply on the B&K was more powerful and heavier. The B&K weighs over 50 lbs while the Denon only weighs 30. I ended up adding an external amp to the Denon for the mains to provide adequate power to all channels.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I agree with G7, if you are sure you'll be using just the 2 speakers then go with the integrated amp or a stereo receiver. That said, I think you may want a dedicated center channel down the road, so I would recommend a 5.1 receiver.

BrownChickenBrownCow

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Thank you for your replies, Gary and Al. :)

I guess the choice is clear: integrated amp unless I want additional channels.

But that's the thing. Either I compromise on sound quality or limit myself to these two speakers.

I have a few more questions:

- Do I get an improvement in sound quality when adding channels?

- If not, what is more important, the sound quality or additional channels?

- Is a center channel still a benefit if the mains are directly next to TV?

I think I would love to try surround one day, but if the sound quality is that much better with the amp maybe I should start with that.

Do these specs have any sway in the discussion:

Sony STR-DN850:

Weight: 17.6 lbs

Power output: 110W RMS per channel (6ohms, 1kHz, 2ch driven, 1% THD)

Cambridge Audio Minx Xi:

Weight: 12.8 lbs

Power output: 47 watts RMS per channel (into 6 ohms)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Do I get an improvement in sound quality when adding channels?

If the source is multi-channel, then yes. If the source is stereo, then multi-channel playback will be processed sound so it comes out in mulit-channel but is not true multi-channel. Some people like it, I do not. It is subjective.

If not, what is more important, the sound quality or additional channels?

Again, subjective. I go for sound quality first. Others may not.

Is a center channel still a benefit if the mains are directly next to TV?

If you are the only one watching/listening, then a "phantom" center may be fine. You will get a good stereo imaging. If you are watching with a group of people, then those not in the center will not get correct imaging so a center channel helps with this to place dialog in the center..

The units you list will do fine in a small room. The choice you make depends on factors I listed previously.

Side note: The Sony will not deliver 110 if you use all channels. It MIGHT deliver close to that if you run just two channels. The amp rating is useless if it does not have an adequate power supply.

BrownChickenBrownCow

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Thank you for helping me make this decision. I have chosen to get the integrated amp considering my current 2.0 setup. Now I won't be tempted to blow money on additional speakers in the near future, even though I will definitely try 5.1 one day and will probably get an AVR next time.

I've had a chance to test the two systems, and can say that the Minx Xi also has the following advantages:

- Better sound quality is actually noticeable

- Much better looks

- Better build quality and feel

- Fully operational without the TV having to be on

- Full control via app (though to be fair I didn't test the Sony SongPal app for the AVR)

Disadvantages:

- TV volume is very low and has to be turned up via the unit; but if the source is switched to streaming or USB, the volume becomes very loud, which I believe can damage the speakers

- No on-screen-menus or volume control with the TV remote

Advantages of the Sony:

- On screen menu

- Can be controlled with the (Sony) TV remote

- Turns off/on simultaneously with the TV

- Many audio processing options and settings

- The big one: Room to grow and add channels

Disadvantages:

- Having to switch the input source between HDMI and TV (though I think this can be fixed by tweaking the settings)

- Clicks loudly when switching on and off

- More complicated to operate than the Minx

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks