What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

There are a couple of films that I recall seeing for the first time in Fox's screening room on the west side of Manhattan during my college years that have never lost their power for me.  The original Planet of the Apes was one.  Stanley Donen's Two for the Road, with its lovingly sharp dialogue and continuity from Fredric Raphael, another.  Ant then there was Ronald Neame's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Jean Brodie was the first film that really created my respect for the great Dame Maggie Smith (yes, she was acting before Downton Abbey and Harry Potter) that remains with me some 45 years later.

Taking place in Edinburgh in the 1930s, the film, at least on the surface tells the story of the relationship between a teacher and her students.  But it is so much more.  Mix in superb performances the young women playing the students, especially Pamela Franklin (The Innocents), and add a touch of classic cinema via Dame Celia Johnson (David Lean's Brief Encounter), and the picture begins to pull together.

As offered by Twilight Time, the Fox production is never less than a perfect Blu-ray.  Imagery and audio are superb, as we've come to expect from Mr. Belston and his team.

One of the great film of the 1960s, that beautifully stands the test of time as an extremely piece of literate cinema.  Jean Brodie is a based upon the novel by Muriel Spark, and the play by Jay Presson Allen, who also provided the screenplay.

Now if we could get Two for the Road on Blu...

For those who may be fearful of being known to watch a  film about the goings on at a private girls in the 1930s, just jump in.  There are untold pleasures to be experienced.  Did I neglect to mention a title song that works...

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Maggie Smith was already an established actress before she made The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie. Six years earlier, she had been one of the best things in The VIPs.

Two For The Road will be out on Blu-ray disc next month in the U. K.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll certainly second a desire for Two for the Road, one of the truly great movies of 1967.

Maggie Smith was already an Oscar nominee prior to Miss Jean. She played Desdemona in Olivier's Othello and was Oscar nominated.

I remember her reminding us when she won her Tony Award for Lettice and Lovage that her first major appearance in America was in the 1956 edition of New Faces on Broadway.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I'm surprised at the lack of general knowledge of anything but tv & films. Maggie Smith has been a leading actress since at least the start of the 60's and, after a great deal of success in revue, was one of the great attractions of The National Theatre during its formative years. A significent glory was her Beatrice with her then husband Robert Stephens as Benedict, with whom she later did Private Lives directed by John Geilgud. She even spent several years leading the Stratford Ontario company before returning to the UK.

I suggest you do a little research in order to fully appreciate her astonishing career achievements and longevity.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Malcolm Bmoor said:
I'm surprised at the lack of general knowledge of anything but tv & films. Maggie Smith has been a leading actress since at least the start of the 60's and, after a great deal of success in revue, was one of the great attractions of The National Theatre during its formative years. A significent glory was her Beatrice with her then husband Robert Stephens as Benedict, with whom she later did Private Lives directed by John Geilgud. She even spent several years leading the Stratford Ontario company before returning to the UK. I suggest you do a little research in order to fully appreciate her astonishing career achievements and longevity.
Not certain to whom your words are addressed. No one here has attempted to write Dame Maggie's bio. Everyone has made the point that her works preceeded Jean. At the time Jean was released, while I was very aware of her and her work, Jean was my initial real experience seeing her on screen, and it knocked me out, especially as the film was not yet in release, so no reviews, no advance warning, and nary a blog, tweet or Facebook posting in sight.RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robert Harris said:
especially as the film was not yet in release, so no reviews, no advance warning, and nary a blog, tweet or Facebook posting in sight.RAH
Ha, I remember back in the olden days, I'd go & see a film because of the great film poster (remember those?), knowing nothing about the film. I saw the original Planet Of The Apes with the ending coming as a shock. If I want to see a film these days (not very often), I have to stay away from everything online about it, & reviews...& most definitely trailers, as they give everything away now-days.

I've been staying away from all Game Of Thrones topics as I haven't got around seeing season three yet!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It's Dame Maggie's 80th birthday today, so I'm going to give my new Blu-rays of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and Death on the Nile a spin.

One of my favourite theatre going experiences was the National Theatre's 50th Anniversary celebration last year, where Maggie recited a speech from The Beaux Stratagem, one of her greatest stage triumphs.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Apologies for any unintended rudeness about Maggie Smith but when people with superb stage credentials, unseen by solely moviegoing & tv watching audiences, have film, or tv successes they tend to have that work alone mentioned by journalists ignorant of theatre. There was a sad example today when David Ryall died. Any London theatregoer has seen him in utterly marvellous work but the headline was HARRY POTTER ACTOR DIES.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Some of us had seen Dame Maggie in Hot Millions; The V.I.P.s; and Othello; but nothing had, I believe, prepared us for the seismic shock of her performance as Miss Brodie. After that, everyone recognized her and knew that Quality was her middle name.
I was fortunate to have seen her on Broadway and on many TV productions prior to her work on Downton Abbey.
Happy birthday to her and long may she live!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Malcolm Bmoor said:
Apologies for any unintended rudeness about Maggie Smith but when people with superb stage credentials, unseen by solely moviegoing & tv watching audiences, have film, or tv successes they tend to have that work alone mentioned by journalists ignorant of theatre. There was a sad example today when David Ryall died. Any London theatregoer has seen him in utterly marvellous work but the headline was HARRY POTTER ACTOR DIES.
The reality is that more people will see a single TV or film performance than all her stage performances combined. Not to mention that millions of people don't reside in places where they would have been privileged to see her on stage, so of course they will be introduced to her or know her through her film and TV appearances. It's the nature of the business, and I'm sure even Dame Maggie has made peace with it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Dame Maggie on The Carol Burnett Show:

"Every time I'm on your show, Carol, I do you a favor." LOL

"You remember how we wanted to get more comfortable, so I let down my hair and my Murphy bed?" LOL

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Malcolm Bmoor said:
The problem is, headlines have to go for the attention grabber. A lot of the people that are going to be seeing the obituary headlines online like that are likely not going to be theatergoers. He may have had a litany of impressive stage work, but that's not as attention-grabbing as a headline involving a Harry Potter mention. Once people read the obit, then they can get the particulars of their work.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
When Smith passes I fully expect many headlines to read "Harry Potter Actress Passes." That and Downton Abbey are what a broad readership know her from today.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Allansfirebird said:
The problem is, headlines have to go for the attention grabber. A lot of the people that are going to be seeing the obituary headlines online like that are likely not going to be theatergoers. He may have had a litany of impressive stage work, but that's not as attention-grabbing as a headline involving a Harry Potter mention. Once people read the obit, then they can get the particulars of their work.
Case in point: Into the Woods movie vs. stage. Disney distribution chief said: "With the opening of Into the Woods this weekend, we exposed the musical to four times the audience who saw it during its entire Broadway run."

Far more people will know Ian McKellan from Lord of the Rings than they will from (the much superior) Gods and Monsters. But what is the lead for any article about him? Lord of the Rings or X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks