What's new

David Letterman last show is May 20 2015 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Only a Couple posts, anyway only 27 shows left after tonight.
This makes me very sad.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
It seems like only yesterday that I was watching this crazy young fellow hurling watermelons off of the roof tops. I wouldn't mind getting old so much if I didn't have to keep saying goodbye so many damn times!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Great finale last night.

Loved the top ten list and the compilation clips. A really nice retrospective that finished up with the history of the show while The Foo Fighters played 'Everlong'.

Nice to see the talent behind the scenes in the closing credits.

I am going to miss Dave.

- Walter.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Yeah, a great end to a great run. The last few weeks of shows, Dave was so much more in his element than he's been for a decade or more; you could tell he really was enjoying himself.

I wonder if he'll just fade away like Carson did (which as Letterman's roll model might be the case) or if he'll show up on occasion doing specials or guest appearances? If he does show up, I'd bet Kimmel & Conan would be the venues. We shall see.

I personally would like to see him on TV again, as often as he feels comfortable.

From TV Today Newsletter

Today's Top 10 TV Stories

1 Letterman's 'Late Show' Finale Draws Biggest Audience Since 1994

David Letterman's historic Late Show sign-off drew the program's largest audience in 21 years, according to Nielsen. The 90-minute farewell, which featured a slew of A-list guests, drew 13.76 million viewers, the most for Late Show since Feb. 1994, when it had a lead in from the Olympics. The Late Show With David Letterman outperformed every program on broadcast in primetime Wednesday. Letterman’s final Top 10 List was the "Top 10 Things I've Always Wanted to Say to Dave" and was read by celebrities including Alec Baldwin, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Tina Fey and Steve Martin, with Bill Murray delivering No. 1.

Why This Matters: Letterman, one of broadcast TV’s all-time greats, reinforced the point last night that people will tune in live for special-event programming.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I have to admit, that since his late night debut, I was an "on again, off again" Letterman viewer. Carson was the best. Leno was o.k. But now that Dave's gone from the scene, It has really sunk in that it's the end of an era.

Fallon, Kimmel, and soon, Colbert have some really big shoes to fill. Sorry, but I was never on "Team Coco".

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I thought the final show was well done. I was lucky enough to be in the Letterman audience last May. I'm glad I took the opportunity to get tickets. Like Carson's final show 23 years ago, it left me kind of sad. t's true what a previous poster said - it' the end of an era . By the way , I stayed tuned to CBS for some of the show that follows Letterman. That young guy has a long way to go to get into Carson , Leno or Letterman's league .

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Definitely the end of an era. I thought both Fallon and Conan had nice tributes to Letterman. Conan's last night was especially heartfelt.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I know Dave would be against this idea, but I think it would be nice if someone put together some DVDs of the best moments of Letterman's shows - both the NBC one and the CBS one . So many funny bits ,and great stars . They deserve to be made available for future generations to enjoy . Just my opinion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I never watched Dave's morning show, but I REALLY enjoyed Late Night during it's run. I even went to a taping at 30 Rock. Great fun. The guests were John Denver and Walter Payton.

I agree with most of the critics that when Dave moved over to CBS, he started becoming more "corporate" and phoning it in.

But I watched the finale and have some of the final week's shows on the DVR. I'll be getting to those soon.

I was a big fan of Dave's back in the day. While I believe he had changed (not for the better) in recent years, I still believe he had a huge impact on late night TV and should be held up for praise for all that he did for the genre.

But that montage of clips over the Foo Fighter's song was absolutely incredible. I plan on going back and watching that a few times to take in as much as I can. So many highlights. So many of the things which made him the iconic figure he is.

Does anyone know if he actually got clearance from NBC to use the clips from Late Night as he closed out his run on CBS? Or did they just go ahead and air them in the face of a likely lawsuit from NBC over the rights to the intellectual property? I am curious as to whether NBC actually relented on his long standing request to be able to air some of that material--a request that he had made any number of times before after the move to CBS.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike Frezon said:
Does anyone know if he actually got clearance from NBC to use the clips from Late Night as he closed out his run on CBS? Or did they just go ahead and air them in the face of a likely lawsuit from NBC over the rights to the intellectual property? I am curious as to whether NBC actually relented on his long standing request to be able to air some of that material--a request that he had made any number of times before after the move to CBS.
I'm curious too. I suspect that something was worked out - there was a primetime CBS special a couple weeks ago that had clips from both CBS and NBC, and while I can imagine they might try sneaking a few seconds into the finale without permission, it seems unlikely they'd take that chance on a big two hour primetime retrospective.

But I too would love to hear the actual story.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I never watched Dave's morning show, but I REALLY enjoyed Late Night during it's run. I even went to a taping at 30 Rock. Great fun. The guests were John Denver and Walter Payton.

I agree with most of the critics that when Dave moved over to CBS, he started becoming more "corporate" and phoning it in.

But I watched the finale and have some of the final week's shows on the DVR. I'll be getting to those soon.

I was a big fan of Dave's back in the day. While I believe he had changed (not for the better) in recent years, I still believe he had a huge impact on late night TV and should be held up for praise for all that he did for the genre.

But that montage of clips over the Foo Fighter's song was absolutely incredible. I plan on going back and watching that a few times to take in as much as I can. So many highlights. So many of the things which made him the iconic figure he is.

The NBC stuff was the best . I guess it's those shows I'd most like to see again. I remember back about 20 years ago there was a series of VHS tapes where you could see Dave and company having fun with hydraulic presses and watermelons.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
I've been a huge fan of Letterman since the mid 1980's and have to admit i totally forgot about some of the bits that were included in the final montage. What an excellent send of for my generations Johnny Carson.

And while i'm a bit ashamed to admit this, i went to the FB page listed above last week and started finding as many of the youtube clips that matched the pictures. I'm about 80% done with my research. if anyone has any interest in not having to track them down themselves (or to put the pictures into context), let me know and i can post what i find. Again, i'm kind of an uber nerd of Letterman's, so there you go. :)

Chad

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mike Frezon said:

This is true, but IMO he got his mojo back (to some extent) after his major heart surgery a few years back. It was like the brush with death really loosened him up.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
LouA said:
By the way , I stayed tuned to CBS for some of the show that follows Letterman. That young guy has a long way to go to get into Carson , Leno or Letterman's league .

James Corden. To be fair, he's only been on for a couple of months and I'm pretty sure it's his first TV show (he's mainly been in films and theatre).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks