– Guardians of the Galaxy – 2014

– Inherit the Wind – 1960

– The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie – 1969

– When the Game Stands Tall – 2014

– The Missouri Breaks – 1976

– The Night Porter – 1974

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
Avenging Force $14.99
Barney Miller: Season 6 $22.47
Buffalo Bill and the Indians $11.99
Day of the Mummy $9.99
Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead $12.99
Doctor Who: Series 8 $54.96 $44.99
Dolphin Tale 2 $17.99 $14.99 $14.99
Family Guy: Volume 13 $19.99 $19.99
Frank $12.99
Guardians of the Galaxy $9.99 $9.99 $16.99
Hart to Hart: Season 3 $34.99
Jeffersons, The [Complete Series] $155.99
Marius & Fanny $31.46
Missouri Breaks, The $11.99
Mister Ed [The Complete Series] $94.99
Mork & Mindy: Season 4 $29.99
Mork & Mindy [The Complete Series] $106.18
Night Porter, The [Criterion] $26.96
Running Scared [1986] $11.99
Safe [Criterion] $22.99
Secret Agent [Danger Man] [The Complete Series] $58.99
Time Bandits [Criterion]  $26.96
Under the Dome: Season 2 $39.73 $36.99
When the Game Stands Tall $19.96 $16.99 $16.99
Woody Allen Collection, The $41.39
You Can't Kill Stephen King $12.99

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
Avenging Force $16.99
Batman [25th Anniversary Diamond Luxe Edition Blu-ray] $18.45
Ben-Hur [Diamond Luxe Blu-ray] $18.49
Buffalo Bill and the Indians $16.99
Calvary $19.96
Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead $11.99
Doctor Who: Series 8 $64.96 $49.99
Dolphin Tale 2 $22.99 $19.99 $22.99
Forrest Gump [20th Anniversary Edition - Diamond Luxe Blu-ray] $18.49
Fortune, The [Twilight Time] 
Fox Searchlight Pictures 20th Anniversary Collection $123.99
Frank $17.99
Funny Lady [Twilight Time] 
Green Mile, The [15th Anniversary Edition - Diamond Luxe Blu-ray] $18.49
Gremlins [30th Anniversary Edition - Diamond Luxe Blu-ray] $18.45
Guardians of the Galaxy $14.99 $14.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3-D $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Heaven and Earth [1993] [Twilight Time] 
Inherit the Wind [1960] [Twilight Time] 
Missouri Breaks, The $16.99
Natural Born Killers [20th Anniversary Edition - Diamond Luxe Blu-ray] $18.49
Night Porter, The [Criterion]  $29.99
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The [Twilight Time] 
Running Scared [1986] $16.99
Safe [Criterion]  $29.99
Time Bandits [Criterion]  $29.99
Under the Dome: Season 2 $49.93 $42.99
Vanilla Sky $8.55
When the Game Stands Tall $22.96 $19.99 $22.99
Yentl [Twilight Time] 

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--There are new Twilight Time releases this week. Pre-order HERE.

--Best Buy has EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING with it's copies of the 3-D Blu-ray release of Guardians of the Galaxy. The packaging mimics the casette player motif of the OST CD packaging (also available for $9.99 at BB). BB is also advertising the following prices on The Avengers: $7.99 DVD/$9.99 Blu CP.

--Best Buy also has a bonus disc with its DVD & Blu releases of Under the Dome: Season 2.

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$9.99: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (either DVD or Blu).

$11.99: Transformers: Age of Extinction, X-Men: Days of Future Past.

$12.99: How to Train Your Dragon 2.

$14.99: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 22 Jump Street, Christmas Classics (Either DVD or Blu), Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu CP), X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu CP), How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu CP).

$19.99: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu), The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (Extended Edition Blu), Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu CP), How to Train Your Dragon 2 (3-D Blu CP), 22 Jump Street (Blu CP)

$24.99: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (3-D Blu CP)..

--Best Buy is advertising EXCLUSIVE "POP ART STEELBOOKS". Titles shown are: Desperado, Drive, Superbad.

--And BEST BUY has a deal on three seasons of Game of Thrones on Blu-ray for $79.99. You get the discounted price when you buy BOTH of two sets: Seasons 1 & 2 (Reg. Price $139.99) AND Season 3 (Reg. Price $44.99).

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Target this week has EXCLUSIVE DIGITAL BONUS CONTENT with their 3-D Blu-ray release of Guardians of the Galaxy (An in-depth look at Creating the Galaxy.).

--Target is also advertising the following Blu-rays for $19.99: Thor: The Dark World, The Avengers, Iron-Man 3.

--Target has the following Recent Releases on sale this week (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$9.99: How to Train Your Dragon 2, The LEGO Movie, Mr. Peabody & Sherman..

$14.99: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas.

$19.99: The Fault In Our Stars (Blu).

--Target has a HUGE Buy One Get One 50% off on DVDs Choose from more than 80 DVDs. Lower priced item will be 50% off. Quantities limited. No rain checks. Titles shown are:

$10.00: Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit, Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty, 21 Jump Street, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, The Smurfs 2.

$13.00: Lone Survivor, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Best Man Holiday, Hotel Transylvania, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, The Croods, The Wolf of Wall Street, Noah.

--Target has some "Holiday Hits" on sale this week:

$7.99: Elf (DVD), White Christmas (DVD), Polar Express (DVD).

$8.99: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu), How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) (Blu).

$9.99: A Christmas Story (Blu).

$14.99: Home Alone Collection (DVD).

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Wal-Mart (remember, I cannot guarantee W-M pricing nationally) has the following prices on Guardians of the Galaxy this week: $14.96 DVD/$17.96 2-D Blu.

--Wal-Mart has the following discs on sale for $14.96 (all DVD unless otherwise): The Avengers, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Iron Man (Blu).

--Wal-Mart has the following Blu-ray titles on sale for $14.96: 47 Ronin, The Other Woman, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Rio 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, The Amazing Spider-man 2.

--And Wal-Mart has the following prices on this week's release of When the Game Stands Tall: $16.96 DVD/$19.96 BluCP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would expect Amazon to match Best Buy's prices for Doctor Who.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see if Barnes & Noble includes Doctor Who: Series 8 in its 50 percent off British TV sale once it hits shelves next week.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And so far everyone posting in this thread lives within about 30 minutes of each other.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp!

Expecting some Twilight Time titles to review, and, alas, had asked for Buffalo Bill and the Indians but doesn't look to be arriving.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Wayne_j said:
I would expect Amazon to match Best Buy's prices for Doctor Who.
It already 50% off ($45) if you want to pre-order so it appears they will include it -- in the past they always have included releases that come out during
a sale. Once it's out, I'd expect it to stay 50% and be eligible for the 10% store member discount and the expected 20-25% coupons.

I'd expect a $30 price in store to be the price to beat if you want it release week.
Checking my previous Season set purchases -- $20-25 seems to be the price point I've gotten my sets for within a year of release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the Roundup, Mike, as usual.

Because Guardians of the Galaxy is already $9.99 on DVD, I decided to gift it for a friend of mine in addition to getting myself the Blu-ray (I'm in for the single-disc 2D edition; while the steelbook is nice, it's not worth the extra money for a 3D copy I'm not going to use.) I was going to use Amazon for this because my friend is not in the same state as me, and I would simply have them ship it to her. But on the checkout page, it says that they need a little bit more time to determine an estimated delivery date for this item, order it now and they'll notify me by email when they know a delivery date. This seems very odd for a major new release and likely one of the biggest sellers of the year. On account of this, I will probably just head to Best Buy and mail it myself.

I wrote Amazon an email asking why Guardians would not have an estimated delivery date for such a big, in-demand title and they replied that they were limited in what they could do to look into the issue because I emailed them and suggested that I call them. I don't want them to have the sale badly enough to call them, so that's that.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Guardians is on the way and I think that's it this week. Unless I pop into a store, see a good sale and go wild over something.

Which is entirely possible because...well...it's me.

Thanks, as always, Mike!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Jason. Just Guardians (a blind buy) for me. Sounds like it's going to be fun!

=======================

By the way, if any of you missed the link in last week's RoundUp, I'd appreciate it if you chimed in on THIS POLL.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chris:

As I noted in the OP, the Target ad is explicit that their content is "exclusive."

gallery_286742_34_594123.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My understanding is that you have to redeem the digital copy through their service, Target Ticket, to get the bonus content. I don't use Target Ticket and am not interested in setting up an account to store one movie when I use another digital movie service, so these kind of bonuses are less interesting to me than physical disc bonuses (and even then I think they should just put all the content on the general release, but that's me.) Just my $0.02.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mike Frezon said:
I'm with you, Jason. Just Guardians (a blind buy) for me. Sounds like it's going to be fun!

=======================

By the way, if any of you missed the link in last week's RoundUp, I'd appreciate it if you chimed in on THIS POLL.
It's a ton of fun, Mike. I'm really hoping to watch tomorrow night, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I'm knee deep in yarn and rugs...the things I do for Christmas... :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll tell ya, this trend of supplying "exclusive content" via a streaming service rather than on-disc is really ticking me off. If I have to jump through hoops and/or can only watch it on my computer then it's meaningless to me and doesn't even factor into my decision on which retailer to buy from. I'll simply choose the best price/most convenient purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks