-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Men With Brooms" - a new Canadian Classic?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted January 04 2002 - 09:16 AM

A new movie is coming out called "Men With Brooms". I saw the trailer a couple of times recently and it looks like it could be a really funny and charming movie. It co-stars and was directed by Paul Gross of TV's "Due South" fame. I also has Leslie Neilson in it. It revolves around a group of guys who are getting back together after many years to become curling champions. Of course, there is the usual love interests and side plots, but curling looks to stand front and center. Those of us from Canada know just how seriously many folks here take curling. My parents are glued to the TV when any serious tournaments are on. It is like the SuperBowl to them!
From what I have seen and read about this film, I think it should have gain a good cult following. It is not going to blockbuster status, but could very well sneak in as another Canadian Classic.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.paulgross.org/mwbpr.html
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#2 of 18 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted January 04 2002 - 09:40 AM

It is also worth noting that the great Canadian band The Tragically Hip have been working on the soundtrack for the film, which means all new songs! Plus, they are actually featured in a cameo in the movie. As far as I understand it they appear as
a rival curling team

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 18 Kirsten

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 04 2002 - 03:32 PM

Personally, I can't wait to see this film. I love Paul Gross from his "Due South" Mountie days and am glad to see that he is gracing the silver screen. I enjoyed the trailer to this film both times that I saw it, and look forward to this new Canadian comedy/romance.

Come on fellow Cannucks, let's hear it for curling, eh?

#4 of 18 PatrickM

PatrickM

Screenwriter

• 1,140 posts

Posted January 04 2002 - 03:41 PM

Just saw the trailer today before Lord of the Rings. Men with Brooms looks plenty funny. I wonder if it'll get distributed or even catch on south of the border.

I think its definitely one for a look see.

Patrick

#5 of 18 Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted January 04 2002 - 06:07 PM

Looks pretty good, and ANYTHING with Molly Parker has my immediate interest. HOTTIE!!! Posted Image

Not to change the subject, but this looks a LOT better than the lousy trailer for "Duct Tape Forever" starring Red Green, that's running at Famous Players theaters. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a real movie actually coming out.

Jay

Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#6 of 18 Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted January 06 2002 - 04:43 AM

I was not able to find an "official" web site for this movie. If anyone can track it down, please let us know!
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#7 of 18 Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted January 06 2002 - 05:39 AM

Or if anyone finds a good Molly Parker site (I know about the one, but dammit, I want more pictures!) Posted Image

I'm sure the offical site will go up pretty quickly, but if I see the trailer again I'll look for a URL.

Jay

Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#8 of 18 Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted January 06 2002 - 05:43 AM

I saw this trailer before Lord of the Rings and laughed the whole way through. Has it opened yet? If not when will it open? I especially liked Leslie Nielson, "Purely medicinal, of course." Posted Image

I can't wait to see it.

Seb
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
Few mortal eyes have seen the light
That lies there ever, long and bright.
Galadriel! Galadriel!Clear is the water of your well;White is the star in your white hand;Unmarred, unstained is leaf and landIn Dwimordene, in LorienMore...

#9 of 18 Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted March 08 2002 - 06:09 PM

Posted Image

Just doing a much-needed bump for this thread -- the movie opens WIDE, VERY VERY wide across Canada today. In fact, this may be one of the largest openings for a film I've ever seen that has NO distributor whatsoever in the US.

Oversaturation, perhaps? It would appear so -- here are excerpts from two VERY scathing reviews on MYBC.com:

Quote:
Men with Brooms feels like the highlights of about seven different movies, all jammed together with a soundtrack that even manages to waste the coup of snagging The Tragically Hip. -- John TD Keys

Quote:
It’s supposed to be a comedy, but in reality it’s more of a tragedy. No, no, no – nobody dies at the end. (How could they in a movie about curling?) No, the real tragedy is that out of the dozens of films Canada produces every year, this is the one that the distributor has decided to support with a Hollywood-style publicity campaign. This might actually succeed in drawing in an audience for a big opening weekend, but the movie is so lame that negative word of mouth is sure to cancel out any positive results of their efforts. -- Dimitrie Alexou

Jason

#10 of 18 Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted March 08 2002 - 09:21 PM

Saw it opening night! I loved it, but I admit bias because I'm a curler since the seventh grade, which was a very long-ago time. It's not perfect, or original, but it does have a very Canadian charm to it.

The biggest problems with the movie are the very pointless and thankfully very rare attempts at grade-school toilet humor, and the fact that they use every single sports cliche in the book. But then, every sports movie has 'em, so hard to fault Men With Brooms on it.

I thought it was fun, let's leave it at that. Don't go into it expecting anything Academy Award quality, but just something light-hearted and enjoyable. I liked it better than Mystery, Alaska, if that helps Posted Image
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#11 of 18 RicP

RicP

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted March 09 2002 - 02:46 PM

So us south of the border are going to have to wait for DVD? Or do I have to drive to Niagra again. Posted Image

#12 of 18 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 09 2002 - 04:01 PM

I'm even going to see this one, which is sure to surprise a few people. Really, a silly comedy about curling full of new Hip songs. How can I possibly resist that? Posted Image

Was anyone really expecting good reviews?

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#13 of 18 Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted March 10 2002 - 06:32 AM

If it performs well at the Canadian box office, they'll shoot for a US release. Otherwise, it'll go straight to video/cable.

-Aaron

#14 of 18 Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 06:26 AM

Even if this movie did well at the canadian box office I can't imagine it would get a US release.
There's a lot of "canadian" jokes, kinda like how the Kids in the Hall talking about the weather is hilarious to Canadians but it's kinda lost on americans who don't get to listen to our banter every day.
As well the stabs at NASA wouldn't go over too well.

I saw this movie last night and the theater was pretty much empty, to be expected on a sunday i suppose. It was a good movie, as mentioned above don't go in with high expectations. There's some really good lines and the premise, albeit ridiculous, is pulled off pretty well.

I heard Gord Downey is in this movie but I couldn't pick him out, anyone see him?

#15 of 18 Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 07:39 AM

"It's DUE SOUTH Meets THE MATRIX! Explosive!!"
My art imitates crime.

#16 of 18 Bill Harris

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 09:44 AM

This movie was terrible. SO bad that it had me thinking for a second that it was worse than Crossroads..which after some thought was changed Posted Image . Avoid this film at all costs. And how could you miss Gord Downie?. The Whole band was introduced as representing Hamilton or something like that!

#17 of 18 Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 02:46 PM

oh ya...i went to the bathroom and when i came back my girl said something about how i missed the best entrance in canadian history, i forgot to ask her about it later

#18 of 18 MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 04:01 PM

Quote:
Not to change the subject, but this looks a LOT better than the lousy trailer for "Duct Tape Forever" starring Red Green, that's running at Famous Players theaters. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a real movie actually coming out.
Oh yeah... April 12 baby!! Posted Image
http://www.ducttapeforever.com/

Forum Nav Content I Follow