What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wind Rises -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I've been a fan of Hayao Miyazaki's work for quite awhile.  His films have been represented here in the Colonies by Disney, where they've received incredible support, which is proper, as he's considered the "Japanese Walt Disney."  

Much of his animation art has been available on Blu-ray, but now, in a way, latching on to the coattails of his latest work, The Wind Rises, we can now view Princess Mononoke (1997) and Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) on Blu.

In the case of The Wind Rises, you'll find that there is a message that rings true as you enter Mr. Miyazaki's incredible animated world, in this case a place otherworldly magnificence.  While the story (at least in a basic way) concerns Jiro Horikoshi, a designer of Japanese fighter planes during WWII, including the Mitsubishi Zero, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I cannot recommend Mr. Miyazaki's work too highly.  If you've not experienced his form of animation, you've been missing out on one of the great wonders of the cinema.  

A magnificent Blu-ray experience.

Highly Recommended

RAH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Miyazaki didn't direct "Grave of The Fireflies". It was directed by another great Studio Ghibli film maker Isao Takahata. Takahata has a film that GKids is presently releasing in theatres on a limited basis: The Tale of The Princess Kaguya. It looks like it is going to be another great film. Too bad, I won't be able to see it in a theatre, any more than I could "The Wind Rises".

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
It is a shame about the most accurate subtitles not being included. If a smaller company like DiscoTek Media http://www.discotekmedia.com/can get all the dubs and the best subtitles, then Disney can, too.

I am glad Miyazaki's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro is in Discotek Media's care and release schedule for Blu-ray in 2015.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting that link. I popped over to their site. There is a bunch of old anime on there that I think i"m going to order. I haven.t seen some of that stuff in years. I've been looking for a copy of "Horus: Prince of The Sun" for years and there it is on their site for pre-order. Now if only they would get a complete "Giant Robo" set out.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
That is fantastic, Edwin! :)

Back to the original lack of the best subtitles on Disney's Miyazaki films, look what DiscoTek Media is including with their DVD release of [color=rgb(20,24,35);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;]Castle of Cagliostro:[/color]
Castle of Cagliostro DVD extra features:

1992 Streamline English dub
2000 Manga Entertainment English dub
2000 Family Friendly English dub
All new English subtitle translation
1980 Theatrical subtitle restoration
Commentary with Reed Nelson
Original Trailers
Opening and Endings Collection
Translation notes

The main movie also has the original Japanese opening.

The Blu-ray is all but sure to have all of these features when it is released in a few months. (The DVD is being released late December; the Blu-ray is slated for early 2015.)

Granted they specialize in Anime the way Disney specializes in...oh, wait.

Just sad to see a much smaller company making Disney's efforts in animated film releases look apathetic.
Mark Walker said:
It is a shame about the most accurate subtitles not being included. If a smaller company like DiscoTek Media http://www.discotekmedia.com/can get all the dubs and the best subtitles, then Disney can, too.

I am glad Miyazaki's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro is in Discotek Media's care and release schedule for Blu-ray in 2015.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Mark Walker said:

Wait, does The Wind Rises also have dubtitles?

I know Mononoke does, and apparently Kiki uses the same Streamline script it always has for US releases, but did they mess up Wind Rises, too?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bryan,

My understanding is that The Wind Rises is fine. It is just the fate of the other Miyazaki films being released as part of this burst of Disney-released Miyazaki that are suffering from dubtitles.
Bryan Tuck said:
Wait, does The Wind Rises also have dubtitles?

I know Mononoke does, and apparently Kiki uses the same Streamline script it always has for US releases, but did they mess up Wind Rises, too?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Mark Walker said:
Bryan,

My understanding is that The Wind Rises is fine. It is just the fate of the other Miyazaki films being released as part of this burst of Disney-released Miyazaki that are suffering from dubtitles.
At least the Streamline dub for Kiki was more faithful to the original than the Disney dub. Isn't that what they're still using for the Blu-ray subtitles, or is it something else?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, apparently, the subtitles on the Kiki Blu-ray are something else. They are definitely a different translation than was on the 2003 DVD. They seem to follow the English dub for the most part, but then every once in a while, something will be phrased differently. :huh:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bryan Tuck said:
Well, apparently, the subtitles on the Kiki Blu-ray are something else. They are definitely a different translation than was on the 2003 DVD. They seem to follow the English dub for the most part, but then every once in a while, something will be phrased differently. :huh:
Wait a minute - are you saying that when one watches the Japanese version of the film that the subtitles are using the English DUB of the film? Is that what you're saying, because THAT makes not one iota of sense, since the dubs frequently change the meaning of certain things and add their own stupid things - like all the Phil Hartman Jiji crap.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
haineshisway said:
Wait a minute - are you saying that when one watches the Japanese version of the film that the subtitles are using the English DUB of the film? Is that what you're saying, because THAT makes not one iota of sense, since the dubs frequently change the meaning of certain things and add their own stupid things - like all the Phil Hartman Jiji crap.
Like I said, on Kiki, I can't quite tell. Much of it follows the English dub, but then sometimes there will be a different line here and there. Also, bear in mind that the Blu-ray's English dub is actually the modified 2010 English dub that removes a lot of the Jiji crap.

Mononoke, on the other hand, is without a doubt dubtitled. However, they seem to be timed differently in spots compared to the English audio. It seems as if whoever prepared the subtitles was given the wrong translation to work with. That's the only explanation I can think of. At any rate, a major goof.

The Wind Rises, as Mark said above, appears to have correct English subtitles. At least, they are a different translation than the English dub.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The thing is they've made this mistake now on at least five blus and dvds. It just took a more "high profile" Ghibli like Mononoke for TheDigitalBits to start calling Disney out on it.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I absolutely love Miyazaki's work! I have everything that Studio Ghibli released in Region 1 on DVD and my copy of The WInd Rises arrives today.

Darby

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Princess Mononoke, unlike the Japanese and UK Blu-rays, uses dubtitles. These match the Neil Gaiman English dub for the most part, but there have been a few changes to eliminate the more egregious errors in translation, so are an improvement on the old DVD dubtitles (though that DVD came with a separate literal subtitle track, so it's a huge step down in that regard!)

Kiki's Delivery Service is more complicated. No DVD or Blu-ray anywhere in the world uses a literal subtitle track like what you'll find on the Japanese Princess Mononoke Blu-ray. The "official" subtitle translation is merely dubtitles that match the old Streamline dub, meaning they're totally different to the current Disney dub, but not technically translating the Japanese dialogue (though for the most part, the Streamline dub was a good translation in and of itself).

For the Japanese Blu-ray (and I'm guessing the UK Blu-ray), these Streamline dubtitles were revised in the same way Disney have revised their Princess Mononoke dubtitles. Some of the more egregious errors have been fixed, to bring them closer to an accurate translation (though the Hindenburg "Oh the humanity!" comment remains!).

The US Blu-ray on the other hand uses Disney dubtitles that match the Disney dub (though remember, that dub was later revised to remove the ad libbing and changed ending). Like the Princess Mononoke dubtitles, these have been revised to remove some errors, but for the most part match word for word what is being said by the dub actors.

For reference, here is an accurately translated version of the original script:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/script_kiki_en.txt

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Still not sure where the old Laputa dvd subs came from. Aside from being mistimed, they were missing about 25% of the script!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Edwin-S said:
Miyazaki didn't direct "Grave of The Fireflies". It was directed by another great Studio Ghibli film maker Isao Takahata. Takahata has a film that GKids is presently releasing in theatres on a limited basis: The Tale of The Princess Kaguya. It looks like it is going to be another great film. Too bad, I won't be able to see it in a theatre, any more than I could "The Wind Rises".
Amazon has The Tale of the Princess Kaguya up for preorder both DVD and Blu-Ray: http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Kaguya-Chlo%C3%AB-Grace-Moretz/dp/B00PHSCEFO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1416414366&sr=1-1&keywords=the+tale+of+princess+kaguya+dvd

Darby

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
EddieLarkin said:
Princess Mononoke, unlike the Japanese and UK Blu-rays, uses dubtitles. These match the Neil Gaiman English dub for the most part, but there have been a few changes to eliminate the more egregious errors in translation, so are an improvement on the old DVD dubtitles (though that DVD came with a separate literal subtitle track, so it's a huge step down in that regard!)

Kiki's Delivery Service is more complicated. No DVD or Blu-ray anywhere in the world uses a literal subtitle track like what you'll find on the Japanese Princess Mononoke Blu-ray. The "official" subtitle translation is merely dubtitles that match the old Streamline dub, meaning they're totally different to the current Disney dub, but not technically translating the Japanese dialogue (though for the most part, the Streamline dub was a good translation in and of itself).

For the Japanese Blu-ray (and I'm guessing the UK Blu-ray), these Streamline dubtitles were revised in the same way Disney have revised their Princess Mononoke dubtitles. Some of the more egregious errors have been fixed, to bring them closer to an accurate translation (though the Hindenburg "Oh the humanity!" comment remains!).

The US Blu-ray on the other hand uses Disney dubtitles that match the Disney dub (though remember, that dub was later revised to remove the ad libbing and changed ending). Like the Princess Mononoke dubtitles, these have been revised to remove some errors, but for the most part match word for word what is being said by the dub actors.

For reference, here is an accurately translated version of the original script:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/script_kiki_en.txt
So they knew they were using dubtitles? And instead of getting the correct translations (or in the case of Kiki, at least the more correct translation), they went in and made minor adjustments?

What could possibly be the logic in this? If they were trying to save money, how does paying someone to go in and make corrections/adjustments to an incorrect translation cost less than just using an existing correct translation?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks