What's new

Connecting home theater boxes on Pc (1 Viewer)

Hektor

Auditioning
Real Name
Hektor Ramos
Good afternoon,

I own only the speakers of the home theater without the equipment to connect them, and I wonder how can I connect them to the PC, what should I buy? How to do it etc ... Thanks for listening :D

Hektor

Auditioning
Real Name
Hektor Ramos
The person who bought the home theater found very low boxes and installed in other place, giving me these (but only 6 boxes) and not the device.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Boxes cannot function alone - they require a device in order to work. Also, it's important that the replacement device be similar to the original, and compatible with the boxes you have.

Replacement devices are for sale at various places. Find a place near you that sells devices and see if they have one that will match your boxes. If necessary, take the boxes with you to help ensure a compatible device.

Really, for us to help you any further than that we will need to know the following:
- The brand and model number of the speakers that you have.
- If you don't have that information, there should be writing on the back that indicates the impedance (ohms) and possibly a manufacturer.
- If there are no markings at all on the speakers, please post pictures of the speakers (back preferrable).

- We also need to know your location and what retailers are available to you (Amazon?).

In all likelihood, if the speakers were originally paired with an A/V receiver, you will need a replacement A/V receiver to power them. If they were part of an inexpensive "all-in-one" home theater/surround system, there may not be any way to use the speakers without the original surround component.

Either way, it would also help if we knew your budget (in US dollars if possible, since many of the forum members are US-based).

Also, since you want to connect these speakers to your PC, what audio outputs does your PC have? If necessary, please provide a picture of the audio output connections on your PC.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And welcome to the HTF, Hektor. If you can, as Jason suggests, post pictures or give us any info on your speakers, we'll be able to help you out.

:welcome:

Hektor

Auditioning
Real Name
Hektor Ramos

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The technical information for that system did not list the speaker impedance (that's the important information we need to know whether or not you can use these speakers with any other device). The second to last image on that site showed the back of the speakers where it looks like the impedance is listed, but it's not very clear and I can't be certain, but it looks like the speakers are 3 or 4 ohms, which means that you cannot use them with just any other receiver unit, unfortunately.

If you can check the rear of the actual speakers and see if the impedance is listed, we can be certain. It will be a number followed by the Ω symbol. If the number is anything less than 6 you will be better off getting a whole new system - either another all-in-one, or a real AVR and 8 ohm speakers.

Your PC sound card has a digital optical output (in the picture you posted, it's the second port from the left - the one with the little flap door). That's the output that you should use to keep things simple. When shopping for a replacement system, just be sure it has at least one digital optical input (also called Toslink). Most systems (even the budget systems) tend to have at least one optical input, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Edit: looks like an HDMI output just below it, too. If you can configure your PC to output audio via HDMI as well, that's another option, but the optical will still likely be quicker and easier.

If we assume the worst case scenario - that you cannot use those speakers, and have to start from scratch - what sort of budget are you considering? There are some decent pre-packaged systems from Onkyo that offer true expandability, good performance, and are what we generally recommend, but they start at around $300-400US. If that's too much, then you may be stuck getting another budget all-in-one system, which won't perform as well and should anything happen to a single component in the future, would likely have to be replaced.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If he can find a circa 1990-1998 DD and DTS(later in that age range) Panasonic/Technics AVR it will handle less than 4ohm.Using them as I assume JVC and Kenwood of the same era not an option. But then...have no clue what the Brazilian adoption of surround sound was like back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks