What's new

Warner Archive Blu-ray's (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I've seen some confusion on this and other forums regarding whether WAC blu-ray's are "pressed" discs or "burned" BD-R's.So I asked them on their Twitter feed. Here's their response:"@alextfreeman There is no commercial BD-R format. So they are all normal BD-50s (for the most part)"The "for the most part" reference is that they have used BD-25's in the past.They also added this about the MOD DVD line:"@alextfreeman Probably causing more confusion here, but the MOD DVD discs are not technically DVD-R either. It's another spec entirely."

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
RYANS DAUGHTER--- GOODBYE MR CHIPS[1969]---LOCAL HERO. Hoping to see these next year..

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The implication being that if Warner Archive blu rays were burned instead of pressed they wouldn't be as good. As there have never been commercially burned blu ray, no one can say if they would be better, worse, or the same as pressed. What other reason would there be to ask the question? its too bad burned DVDs still have the reputation of being second best. The ones I have bought still play fine. Warner Bros. even takes advantage of this by releasing some new Archive DVDs titles with limited edition pressed discs to help increase initial sales.

Warner now calls them replicated discs not pressed discs.

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/code/replicated_wacshop.do?pp=96&promo=leftnavREPLICATEDhome

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Garysb said:
The implication being that if Warner Archive blu rays were burned instead of pressed they wouldn't be as good. As there have never been commercially burned blu ray, no one can say if they would be better, worse, or the same as pressed. What other reason would there be to ask the question? its too bad burned DVDs still have the reputation of being second best. The ones I have bought still play fine.
That's great but why do you have a problem with people asking the question or maybe not knowing all that? What's the harm in the OP's thread and, perhaps, clearing up any confusion people may still have? I buy Archive DVD's and Archive blu's and had no idea they blu-rays weren't pressed (or replicated) and now I know.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Garysb said:
its too bad burned DVDs still have the reputation of being second best. The ones I have bought still play fine.
I've never understood this fear of DVD-R failure. I've been recording movies and burning them to DVD since 2003, and have never had any fail to play properly while watching them.

---------------

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just to clarify my original post....almost every thread I read here and/or on other forums, someone asks the "pressed vs burned" question. I just wanted to give some clarity to those who weren't sure. I, personally, don't give a rats ass as long as what I purchase plays in my equipment. Glad if I was able to help someone. If you already knew or wondered why some people still had questions about the issue...well, sorry for wasting your time. Not.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I suppose if anyone thought there was no difference between a pressed and burned DVD as to quality, why would the person care if the disc were pressed or burned. I have no problem with anyone asking the question, I just think it implies that there is a difference and that burned is inferior.Now if the discussion was about Fox, I would want to know if it was a burned disc because Fox seems to put what ever the have available on burned disc instead of any type of restoration. That is not to say the disc itself is bad, it just what is on the disc that might be a bad print or pan and scanned.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Garysb said:
I suppose if anyone thought there was no difference between a pressed and burned DVD as to quality, why would the person care if the disc were pressed or burned. I have no problem with anyone asking the question, I just think it implies that there is a difference and that burned is inferior.
I didn't mean to suggest there was no potential difference in quality between a pressed DVD and a DVD-R, only that I don't fear a higher disc failure rate with DVD-Rs.

I believe there certainly is a potential difference in audio/video quality as I don't think any of the MODs are releasing dual-layer DVD-Rs, and that of course means more compression may be necessary.

---------------

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
ScottHM said:
I believe there certainly is a potential difference in audio/video quality as I don't think any of the MODs are releasing dual-layer DVD-Rs, and that of course means more compression may be necessary.
Warner Archive makes use of dual-layer discs.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Paul Penna said:
Warner Archive makes use of dual-layer discs.
I hadn't realized that, but now that I look closely I do see that a small number of my WA DVD-Rs are in fact dual-layered. Thanks for that information.

---------------

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clarify my original post....almost every thread I read here and/or on other forums, someone asks the "pressed vs burned" question. I just wanted to give some clarity to those who weren't sure. I, personally, don't give a rats ass as long as what I purchase plays in my equipment. Glad if I was able to help someone. If you already knew or wondered why some people still had questions about the issue...well, sorry for wasting your time. Not.
Perhaps just a simple thank you from those of us who knew and those (like me)who were not sure.Thank you.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Per Warner Archives Twitter feed, another BD will be announced tomorrow. They said it "leaked" late last night but wouldn't say more. I can't find anything online about it leaking.P.S.....looks like it may be The Thundercats

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks