Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hitchcock's UNDER CAPRICORN - any chance of a restoration?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   ljgranberry

ljgranberry

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:57 AM

I recorded this from TCM the other night, and the film looks to be in terrible shape.  Does anyone know of any chance this has of being restored?  I know it's reputation is not great, but being a huge Hitchcock fan, I would love to see the film, but major work needs to be done on it.

• Osato likes this

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,051 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 06:04 AM

I recorded this from TCM the other night, and the film looks to be in terrible shape.  Does anyone know of any chance this has of being restored?  I know it's reputation is not great, but being a huge Hitchcock fan, I would love to see the film, but major work needs to be done on it.

I've never seen this one, but have been picking up all of the Hitchcock blu ray releases

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 30 2014 - 06:13 AM

I believe the BFI did a restoration of this title, the channel you watched probably had an older master of it.

• Osato likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   stuartfanning

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted August 31 2014 - 06:39 AM

Doesn't appear to have been restored!

http://www.dvdcompar...lm.php?fid=7390

• Osato likes this

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 31 2014 - 08:51 AM

Doesn't appear to have been restored!

http://www.dvdcompar...lm.php?fid=7390

The BFI restored the film, whether it has reached the home market as a dvd is another thing.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   ljgranberry

ljgranberry

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 09:04 AM

The BFI restored the film, whether it has reached the home market as a dvd is another thing.

Let's hope it does, because the version TCM showed was in horrible shape.

BTW - has anyone seen the BFI restoration?  Any thoughts on it?

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 31 2014 - 09:10 AM

Let's hope it does, because the version TCM showed was in horrible shape.

BTW - has anyone seen the BFI restoration?  Any thoughts on it?

Here is a link to someone who has, from 2011.  They are saying they saw the BFI restoration at a cinema and then saw a dvd that they claim comes close to what they saw at the cinema, i'd caution about the dvd part but it mentions the restoration.

The fact the dvd doesn't have the introductory title cards mentioning the restoration and is faded should tell you the reviewer did not see the restored version on dvd but it also shows he did see a restoration of the title at the cinema.

http://realmofcinema...icorn-1949.html

The print I saw was a BFI restoration and it was beautiful.  Most DVD production companies when working on three-strip Technicolor alter the tone and intensity of the color to make it look contemporary.  Technicolor is supposed to have a subtler palette than we’re used to.  Most of Under Capricorn has a grayish look, partly because of set and costume design, but the palette was softer than I was expecting.  Only The Criterion Collection’s Technicolor releases retain a film-like look among American DVD production houses.  Thankfully, Image Entertainment’s excellent DVD of Under Capricorn does, too.  Until seeing the BFI restoration on screen I was convinced Image used a bad print, but their DVD seems to have used the same restoration.  I noted only two differences: the blue introductory titles cards regarding the restoration are missing on the DVD, and overall the film has a slightly more faded look than the 35mm print, but fans eager to see Hitchcock’s rarest Hollywood film should not hesitate in purchasing Under Capricorn on DVD.

• Osato and JoHud like this

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 31 2014 - 09:52 AM

Good discussion, but it doesn't belong in the TV forum. :)
  • Osato and Jack P like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users