What's new

The King and I (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rick Thompson said:
Have they corrected that color problem? If so, it's a sure buy. If not, not. I like blue, but not in faces!
If they have never acknowledged it's a problem then it won't be fixed, cheaper for them to not acknowledge it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's a perfectly decent transfer if you don't mind that they made The King & I look like South Pacific.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Incidentally there is a new edition of "South Pacific" also being released on the same date. I haven't seen the pre-order of "Oklahoma!" on Amazon yet.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
In SOUTH PACIFIC, the moonlight scenes were intended to have a blue tint in them. They were the least objectionable "filtered sequences" in the (otherwise) excellent film adaptation of the Broadway play. Joshua Logan went on record saying it was the biggest mistake of his professional career and both Rodgers and Hammerstein hated the "experimental color filtering" employed during most of the musical sequences. The fact that the movie was still enjoyable and made a fortune shows how indestructible the show (and its score) are. Without the filters though, it would have been better received critically and may have won more awards.As the director is on record stating he desired to remove the color filters (he originally began doing each of these sequences twice- with and without the filters- butI have read that Fox in CA discouraged this, telling him the filtered sequences looked great and they could remove the color in the labs for him later if he wanted them to- a lie).A true director's cut would digitally correct the filters and restore normal color to these sequences. It is a pity that Fox did not color-correct the restored Roadshow sequences and offer this version on a Blu Ray disc as well. Nonetheless, it is good that they offered it as a special feature with the Blu Ray. My problem is that after seeing any film restored to its original length, I never wish to view the cut-down version again!
THE KING AND I was Oscar-nominated for its color cinematography, also shot by Leon Shamroy. A poorly manufactured print/master with the blue spectrum so distorted that faces are looking blue in some shots is-to my mind- a travesty which is not worth my time or money. Better to view the SD version which-for the most part- accurately displays the De Luxe color pallette which the original prints displayed in theatres.(I have seen this movie in pristine 70mm and in a newly-struck 35mm print.I have also seen 35mm prints faded to various shades of pink).As regards their classic back catalogue, Fox are committing "commercial hara-kiri"

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
AnthonyClarke said:
I doubt if there's been any new work on South Pacific. That original disc was totally wonderful.
I imagine it will be the same disc/s but possibly with different cover art.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
king.jpeg

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
It's interesting that the color palette of the photo used on the disc's cover doesn't reflect the image quality one will see when viewing the bluray "restoration" .

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I see it's a Blu/DVD. I wonder if the DVD uses the master with the right colors, or if it's the new "Deep Blue Sea Edition." Maybe "The (Martian) King and I"?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Rick Thompson said:
I see it's a Blu/DVD. I wonder if the DVD uses the master with the right colors, or if it's the new "Deep Blue Sea Edition." Maybe "The (Martian) King and I"?
Good call Rick! It would be mega corporate stupidity to use the old DVD master but we are dealing with cost cutting MBA types that probably haven't ever seem The King And I. It's just a product and it's old and it doesn't have super powered people in it. Some suckers will buy it but let's not treat it like a Fox Classic like Dr. Dolittle with Eddie Murphy.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Color filters aren't all that's wrong with SOUTH PACIFIC. Not a single musical number knows it's in a motion picture. Static staging, as if at least one foot is nailed to the floor (sand). Also, Logan thinks his color filters are a bigger mistake than say, the entirety of CAMELOT?!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
John Maher_289910 said:
Color filters aren't all that's wrong with SOUTH PACIFIC. Not a single musical number knows it's in a motion picture. Static staging, as if at least one foot is nailed to the floor (sand). Also, Logan thinks his color filters are a bigger mistake than say, the entirety of CAMELOT?!
At least he can let a take run long enough to prove what his performers are capable of without relying on editing to do it for them, which most modern directors of musicals apparently cannot. Disney tried to improve upon it and failed miserably.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
John Maher_289910 said:
i feel CAMELOT is underrated. Yes, there alot of closeups but Logan knows how to get a perfomance out of an actor. . Those close ups say a thousand words, as the saying goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks