What's new

The King and I (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If there's a new timing, let's see it. Then we can have palaver. Otherwise, attempting to divine what Mr. Belston did and didn't mean is a guessing game not worth playing. Nick Redman told me several years ago that Belston had admitted to him that perhaps in attempting to get that Deluxe color/Shamroy look they went a bit too far." A BIT too far. I would love to see this new timing that everyone seems to think exists. Where is it? Streaming? A DCP one can actually view?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Nick Redman told me several years ago that Belston had admitted to him that perhaps in attempting to get that Deluxe color/Shamroy look they went a bit too far." A BIT too far. I would love to see this new timing that everyone seems to think exists. Where is it? Streaming? A DCP one can actually view?
Wow...I'll give you this, you never give up even when the facts come from Mr.Belston's own mouth. So you knew this for years but only mention it now after defending it for months as the way it looked on release. Sad really.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hope they rework 'Carousel' as well, as that was also pretty disastrous. However, as we all seem to agree, 'Oklahoma' and 'South Pacific' are bliss, though I found the volume level in 'Oklahoma' could have been better/higher. Can't remember right now what I thought on first viewing of 'State Fair'.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I hope they rework 'Carousel' as well, as that was also pretty disastrous. However, as we all seem to agree, 'Oklahoma' and 'South Pacific' are bliss, though I found the volume level in 'Oklahoma' could have been better/higher. Can't remember right now what I thought on first viewing of 'State Fair'.

I don’t remember reading if there were any issues with State Fair (if there were, feel free to refresh my memory), but that’s one that will be problematic no matter what they do due to it being a three-strip Technicolor Fox film.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Wow...I'll give you this, you never give up even when the facts come from Mr.Belston's own mouth. So you knew this for years but only mention it now after defending it for months as the way it looked on release. Sad really.

Sad? When did this thread happen? I was given this tidbit after it and I didn't think I should be telling tales that were told to me in confidentiality. Sad, huh? I still defend this transfer in terms of it being fine for me, and it's certainly fine for others. Could it have a little less blue? Sure, why not. A BIT. I've said that, too, for ages. I have zero problems with watching this Blu-ray. The only thing sad is you getting personal here and I'm waiting patiently for Mr. Crawford to do something about it before I do.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Oh, but it's so much more fun to dump on The King and I. I found the Carousel transfer horrible. So, fix that one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only thing sad is you getting personal here and I'm waiting patiently for Mr. Crawford to do something about it before I do.
Both of you guys need to cut it out. If not then I'll stop it!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The King and I is a Fox title, which means that it is now a Disney title. Except for the handful of Platinum/Diamond/Signature Collection animated films, Disney has not really cared about doing re-releases of their catalog titles in several years. Almost all of their focus is now on Disney+. Even if the transfer needs to be redone, the chances that Disney will actually put out a new disc seem slim to none. The King and I isn't something niche enough to go the Disney Movie Club route, and they don't seem to have any interest in catalog titles on disc otherwise. I'd love to be wrong, but I think we got the disc we're going to get when Fox did it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Oh, but it's so much more fun to dump on The King and I. I found the Carousel transfer horrible. So, fix that one.

Well this is the thread for The King and I so I am not sure that we should mention all the other musicals we do not like here ;)
As for Carousel, does it even have its own thread? If not maybe you should start one.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If there's a new timing, let's see it. Then we can have palaver. Otherwise, attempting to divine what Mr. Belston did and didn't mean is a guessing game not worth playing. Nick Redman told me several years ago that Belston had admitted to him that perhaps in attempting to get that Deluxe color/Shamroy look they went a bit too far." A BIT too far. I would love to see this new timing that everyone seems to think exists. Where is it? Streaming? A DCP one can actually view?

Well at least we know what Shawn Belston said straight from his mouth, definitely beats word of mouth.

Thanks for relaying that story from Nick Redman. I would wager a guess that he also had that print of The King and I and I hope that his film collection is in good hands now.

As for the regraded version I have now found a post on another forum where somebody took some screencaps of the old HD master, the Blu-ray and the regraded new master that at that time was available on movies anywhere:

Post number 367

Looks pretty siginificant to me so as soon as there is a sale it shall be mine.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Both of you guys need to cut it out. If not then I'll stop it!
Don't worry I'm done with this thread now that the mystery is solved thanks to Mr.Belston's interview. I spent way to much time on this as it is out of love for the film but leave knowing at least Fox was aware they sold us an inferior product even if we didn't get a hard copy replacement. Maybe a 4K disc will turn up before physical media is dumped by the studios. And thanks Oliver K for pointing out the three versions now out there. I have not seen the 2016 color grading but it does have that Fox color by Deluxe look. Hope they color correct and adjust the contrast too of Carousel as it didn't turn out that great either and it would be fantastic in 4K. So long.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hello, I have a question:
I want to buy an HD digital copy of this film. I see those ones have corrected the "blue" problem of the bluray.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14738328&postcount=367

Does anyone know where can I buy it? I live in Greece and MoviesAnywhere is available only for US customers.
I haven't bought any digital film in my life so I don't know how it's done. Do they give you a link and you download the film?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do they give you a link and you download the film?

You buy it from a service (iTunes, Vudu, Amazon Video, Fandango, or whatever), I don't know what the options are in Greece and then stream it from within their app. It is like Netflix or any other streaming service except that you pay per title instead of paying a subscription fee and having things included.

If you want to download a file onto your computer, you might be able to do that, but I've never done it since it takes a lot of hard drive space.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If you want to download a file onto your computer, you might be able to do that, but I've never done it since it takes a lot of hard drive space.
Last I looked the download quality was worse than the streaming quality as the mandatory low bitrates are even lower with downloads than with live streams.

So if somebdy had 1000 mbps internet speed this will not increase his bitrate compared to somebody who only has 50 - both will get the same ca. 10 mbps bitstarved stream that most others are getting and if there still is a download option is will probably be dumbed down even further to something like 5 mbps.

This is why I strongly suggest to stream and not download if the connection supports it, that is until there is the option to get high quality downloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks