What's new

Help with HT seating please (1 Viewer)

hts

Auditioning
Real Name
harrison
New member, first time poster (and no, I did not bother to search the forums before posting, lol).

I'm building a new house (and no, construction has already started so I can't change the dimensions) and have a flex room where I want to have a HT permanently set up.

The space is approx 16'6 x 14'6. Is there any legitimate way I can possibly squeeze in two rows of HT seats here? I haven't purchased a projector yet, but planning on a perm ceiling mount. I'd prefer LCD (but may end up with DLP) and am planning on at least 120" diag 16x9 screen. I think my first row needs to be no closer than 11' from the screen--just not sure I can reasonably squeeze a second row behind the first. Perhaps I should have done more research before finalizing the plans, lol. Alternatively I can probably go with a long row to accommodate the 5 (across) seating we need.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I sit 9 feet from a 120" 16x9, but I predominantly watch 2.40 content(108").Have you thought of twin display?A 65-70 and the projector?

hts

Auditioning
Real Name
harrison
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your prompt response!

I think I need 16x9 because we may end up watching some TV/sports in this room as well (still undecided about whether we want a TV in the new great room or just relegate TV's to ancillary rooms in the house) as well as movies.

I'm not sure what you mean by twin display, nor am I following what you mean with 65-70 and the projector, sorry.

hts

Auditioning
Real Name
harrison
I think I'd prefer just want one largish (120" min; may also be max based on final spreadsheets) screen, but thanks for the creative suggestion!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Creative?That would be the normal thing to do...in this situation.That is why every single AVR over (roughly) $600 has two HDMI outputs.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
General rule is that the sweet spot for viewing is 3x the height of image within a 2x-4x zone. A 120" (16x9) diagonal implies a 5' image height so you would want to watch 10'-20' feet away with the ideal position at 15'. My experience is that you can move the sweet spot up a couple of feet but it does depend on quality of the projector image and screen material.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
hts said:
New member, first time poster (and no, I did not bother to search the forums before posting, lol).

I'm building a new house (and no, construction has already started so I can't change the dimensions) and have a flex room where I want to have a HT permanently set up.

The space is approx 16'6 x 14'6. Is there any legitimate way I can possibly squeeze in two rows of HT seats here? I haven't purchased a projector yet, but planning on a perm ceiling mount. I'd prefer LCD (but may end up with DLP) and am planning on at least 120" diag 16x9 screen. I think my first row needs to be no closer than 11' from the screen--just not sure I can reasonably squeeze a second row behind the first. Perhaps I should have done more research before finalizing the plans, lol. Alternatively I can probably go with a long row to accommodate the 5 (across) seating we need.
Cinema seats yes real cinema seats can ether cost the same as the large home theater seats which take up floor space and burn hole in your pocket.

The listing here is touch too much but nice looking real cinema seats to make a home theater cinema look the part.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THEATER-CHAIRS-HOME-THEATRE-CHAIR-MOVIE-SEATS-CINEMA-BLUE-FABRIC-/141357415364?pt=US_Chairs&hash=item20e98efbc4

Again these ones bit costly but depends on budget?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THEATER-CHAIRS-HOME-THEATRE-CHAIR-MOVIE-SEATS-CINEMA-/141353723284?pt=US_Chairs&hash=item20e956a594

Answer its very possible to fit 3 to 4 seats across each row in your room. I have 3 across each of the two rows I have and the space I have to work them into is very narrow at 9 feet. 3 seats each row armrest to armrest 5 feet 8 inches.

You'll find most cinema seats are will be suitable and some are rocker seats that recline.

You'll have to look around ebay in your region to find used cinema seats that would be in fine condition. Often you might find some selling for $100.00 or less per seat if you keep your eyes peeled? ;)

If you have another room behind the room you'll be building in. Knock a hole in the wall and build a port window to have the projector behind and have its fan noise isolated.

hts

Auditioning
Real Name
harrison
So it sounds like with a 120" screen I may be able to possibly get by with a row at 10' and a second row backed up near the wall at 15'?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
hts said:
So it sounds like with a 120" screen I may be able to possibly get by with a row at 10' and a second row backed up near the wall at 15'?
If your seats recline you will have to factor that in as people will still need to get to their seats in the second row while the first is reclined, and the second row if it reclines can't be against the back wall.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
hts said:
Also keep in mind that if your back row is up against the wall, a traditional 7.1 speaker setup won't work in that situation. You'll need to stick with 5.1 - which is perfectly fine, really - but I thought it important for you to know now.

hts

Auditioning
Real Name
harrison
You guys are right. I think I'll just try to go with a single row of 5 across approx 12-13' away so that we can comfortably recline and I get deploy 7.1--thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
12-13 feet back(in my opinion) is too far.9-10 feet is where you should be.In "proper"* home theatre, the primary seat is dead center of the room. I never design a theatre where the main seat is farther than 60%. The second row should be no farther than 70%...80% at most. If needed, go 110".Like already mentioned...there are times a smaller screen is warranted(like the movie you want to watch is a character piece on DVD).*The ITU standard, which is the basis for DD and DTS, dictates that the sweet spot is equal distance from all speakers. Be it 2...or 11.DD and DTS wiggled it a bit to the 60% mark...to make it more room friendly. 16' dictates 8' to 10'.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
hts said:
You guys are right. I think I'll just try to go with a single row of 5 across approx 12-13' away so that we can comfortably recline and I get deploy 7.1--thanks.
Make sure your screen is wide enough with matched LCR subs behind the screen to create the illusion. Screen speakers left/right would have to be very wide so the seats on the outer sides left to right get a fair decent stereo otherwise left and right rows would be hearing too much of

Left row far side hears too much of stage left.
Right row far side hears too much of stage right.

They'll hear centre and each of the left and right at the further sides as like a cinema if sat in the wrong seats too close to the stage left/right.

Might won't to keep the seats in straight line. x6 seats two rows of three seats each row. My 1 Pence.

I drew out a simple idea with cluster of surrounds and along the side rear walls placed up 6 or so feet angled down so they surround. Also arrays of overhead as Atmos might become the norm in many years? Matched LCR behind the screen with subs placed between the LCR. Stage channels should be placed about half the height of the room would be sufficient and aimed down with HF horns so the sound reaches the back row of seat as well as the front row.

A few extra subs placed in the back corners of the room.

Projector placed behind a wall if possible with port window, easy to do.

The seating three at front row and two at back row on riser for clear sight-line of the screen.
10540686_10152595293280149_3240279753442974805_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks