• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 of 55 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted July 28 2014 - 05:53 AM

Personally, I blame the people who buy these reissues, because they're the ones driving the studios to keep milking these properties in this manner. Stop buying these silly "anniversary" re-releases just because of a new case/package, or a couple of piddling new extras, or whatever, and the studios just might invest that money into something more productive, like new catalog title releases.
  • Jason_V and andySu like this

#22 of 55 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 28 2014 - 06:16 AM

Personally, I blame the people who buy these reissues, because they're the ones driving the studios to keep milking these properties in this manner. Stop buying these silly "anniversary" re-releases just because of a new case/package, or a couple of piddling new extras, or whatever, and the studios just might invest that money into something more productive, like new catalog title releases.

Exactly....and that's the difference between those who collect "things" vs. film buffs. How many anniversary editions of "Gone With the Wind" featuring a replica of Clark Gable's talleywacker can a person actually want?

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#23 of 55 andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,447 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 06:17 AM

I can watch extars for free! On youtube. :P

#24 of 55 Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:35 AM

Unless it is a new restoration, why don't the studios just release a title and be done with it? Just keep that edition in print as long as sales dictate it.

#25 of 55 atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 28 2014 - 08:00 AM

Unless it is a new restoration, why don't the studios just release a title and be done with it? Just keep that edition in print as long as sales dictate it.

My guess would be that the older "package" drops in price over time. They can re-package a "New" version and sell it again at a higher initial price.

For example, the "Ben-Hur" Ultimate Collectors addition was originally priced at $65 at release date. You can now get it on Amazon for under $40 (and it's been at low as $29 as the Gold Box Deal of the Day). But I guarantee you that in a couple of years they will re-package it and re-release the exact same set (with maybe one minor change) at the higher initial price again. And, apparently, people will gobble it up as "new".....

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#26 of 55 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 01:17 PM

A post has been removed because it contained a totally unnecessary insult - and hardly anything more.

Please, argue, if you wish, without implicitly or explicitly questioning a poster's intelligence.

Cees

#27 of 55 Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted July 28 2014 - 03:03 PM

Truly, echoing what many others have written, I can't see hot they can upgrade or add to the previous release.

I'd rather see a re-issue of Prometheus with the deleted scenes inserted back into the feature. :popcorn:

#28 of 55 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,780 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 05:42 PM

I frankly can't imagine any reason for me to pick this up.

I already have the Anthology, with which I am well pleased.   And I kept the earlier 20th Anniversary DVD and the Quadrilogy to boot.

I'm frankly not sure what else they could come up with. 

I suppose they could do a new interview or group commentary, but I think that other than Kotto and Holm, they've all pretty much said their piece about the movie, and done so very well indeed.

• joshEH and FoxyMulder like this

#29 of 55 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,695 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:56 PM

My guess would be that the older "package" drops in price over time. They can re-package a "New" version and sell it again at a higher initial price.

Bingo. It's the old "new and improved!" thing that's going on here. If there's new cover art and the disc on the "new release" shelf, everyone just has to have it. Is there anything really new about it? Nope. But that doesn't matter. It's the "hey, I got the new version of Alien!!" on the shelf.

#30 of 55 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 11:53 PM

"I'd rather see a re-issue of Prometheus with the deleted scenes inserted back into the feature."

This might happen later on. The sequel is coming at some point, I believe.

#31 of 55 McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted July 29 2014 - 05:58 AM

So we get another unnecessary reissue but no Abyss or True Lies. Enough of this crap.

Yes my sentiment exactly.

Fox, should get serious and stop trying to buy Warner bros for $80 billion that was refused and release THE ABYSS / TRUE LIES.

I'm sure Fox would have loved to release both already, but Cameron is off making the next Smurfs movie(s), and they need his involvement and approval to release the Blu-ray editions.
  • andySu and Cremildo like this

#32 of 55 Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted July 29 2014 - 09:24 AM

but Cameron is off making the next Smurfs movie(s)

:rolling-smiley:

• andySu likes this

#33 of 55 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yes, the transfer was great. Maybe 4K? There can't possibly be more extras, can there?

Have the end credits from the 70mm prints ever been released? They are over a moving star field instead of a static image on the 35mm prints.

#34 of 55 Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 05:58 PM

Have the end credits from the 70mm prints ever been released? They are over a moving star field instead of a static image on the 35mm prints.

I saw it originally in the theater in 35mm. I've never seen the 70mm print. It would have been perfect for the end of the theatrical cut for the Anthology.

#35 of 55 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,499 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 12:05 AM

I doubt it will have the THX AC-3 70mm mag track version on bluray, That one is reserved for THX laseridisc. :P

Did anyone ever figure out exactly where the 4.1 track on the Blu-ray came from? It does seem odd to have a separate 4.1 if it's not actually based on the old 70mm mix.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#36 of 55 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 12:36 AM

It is possible some people have never bought any of the previous releases you know. I still only have the Laserdisc box set. ;)

#37 of 55 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,780 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 08:05 AM

Just out of curiosity, what are you watching those laserdiscs on?

I have really unfortunate results when trying to watch a laserdisc transfer on an HDTV.

#38 of 55 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:12 AM

I have a modestly-sized HDTV (42"), but have never had any issues watching laserdiscs on it.  They don't look great but I find them perfectly acceptable.

#39 of 55 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,780 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 10:15 AM

At 65", it goes bad quickly with the lasers, unfortunately.

On a 22", I have no problems with them.

I've still kept several of my lasers due to the bonuses that never came to DVD or Blu, but I know what I'm in for when I spin one of those up.

I usually remind myself that I was happy with a small tube TV when I was a kid...

• Dr Griffin likes this

#40 of 55 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 11:55 AM

I asked Charles de Lauzirika about that years ago, and he said they pretty much showed us every frame of footage they could find.

I'd love to see the deleted scenes in HD, in particular the handful of "finished" ones that were fully mixed in 5.1.

Vincent

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users