What's new

ALIEN 35th Anniversary blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Personally, I blame the people who buy these reissues, because they're the ones driving the studios to keep milking these properties in this manner. Stop buying these silly "anniversary" re-releases just because of a new case/package, or a couple of piddling new extras, or whatever, and the studios just might invest that money into something more productive, like new catalog title releases.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Persianimmortal said:
Personally, I blame the people who buy these reissues, because they're the ones driving the studios to keep milking these properties in this manner. Stop buying these silly "anniversary" re-releases just because of a new case/package, or a couple of piddling new extras, or whatever, and the studios just might invest that money into something more productive, like new catalog title releases.
Exactly....and that's the difference between those who collect "things" vs. film buffs. How many anniversary editions of "Gone With the Wind" featuring a replica of Clark Gable's talleywacker can a person actually want?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Persianimmortal said:
I can watch extars for free! On youtube. :P

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Unless it is a new restoration, why don't the studios just release a title and be done with it? Just keep that edition in print as long as sales dictate it.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Dr Griffin said:
Unless it is a new restoration, why don't the studios just release a title and be done with it? Just keep that edition in print as long as sales dictate it.
My guess would be that the older "package" drops in price over time. They can re-package a "New" version and sell it again at a higher initial price.

For example, the "Ben-Hur" Ultimate Collectors addition was originally priced at $65 at release date. You can now get it on Amazon for under $40 (and it's been at low as $29 as the Gold Box Deal of the Day). But I guarantee you that in a couple of years they will re-package it and re-release the exact same set (with maybe one minor change) at the higher initial price again. And, apparently, people will gobble it up as "new".....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A post has been removed because it contained a totally unnecessary insult - and hardly anything more.
Please, argue, if you wish, without implicitly or explicitly questioning a poster's intelligence.

Cees

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Truly, echoing what many others have written, I can't see hot they can upgrade or add to the previous release.

I'd rather see a re-issue of Prometheus with the deleted scenes inserted back into the feature. :popcorn:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I frankly can't imagine any reason for me to pick this up.
I already have the Anthology, with which I am well pleased. And I kept the earlier 20th Anniversary DVD and the Quadrilogy to boot.

I'm frankly not sure what else they could come up with.
I suppose they could do a new interview or group commentary, but I think that other than Kotto and Holm, they've all pretty much said their piece about the movie, and done so very well indeed.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
atfree said:
My guess would be that the older "package" drops in price over time. They can re-package a "New" version and sell it again at a higher initial price.
Bingo. It's the old "new and improved!" thing that's going on here. If there's new cover art and the disc on the "new release" shelf, everyone just has to have it. Is there anything really new about it? Nope. But that doesn't matter. It's the "hey, I got the new version of Alien!!" on the shelf.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I'd rather see a re-issue of Prometheus with the deleted scenes inserted back into the feature."This might happen later on. The sequel is coming at some point, I believe.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
cineMANIAC said:
So we get another unnecessary reissue but no Abyss or True Lies. Enough of this crap.
andySu said:
Yes my sentiment exactly.Fox, should get serious and stop trying to buy Warner bros for $80 billion that was refused and release THE ABYSS / TRUE LIES.
I'm sure Fox would have loved to release both already, but Cameron is off making the next Smurfs movie(s), and they need his involvement and approval to release the Blu-ray editions.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Dr Griffin said:
Yes, the transfer was great. Maybe 4K? There can't possibly be more extras, can there?
Have the end credits from the 70mm prints ever been released? They are over a moving star field instead of a static image on the 35mm prints.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Neil S. Bulk said:
Have the end credits from the 70mm prints ever been released? They are over a moving star field instead of a static image on the 35mm prints.
I saw it originally in the theater in 35mm. I've never seen the 70mm print. It would have been perfect for the end of the theatrical cut for the Anthology.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
andySu said:
I doubt it will have the THX AC-3 70mm mag track version on bluray, That one is reserved for THX laseridisc. :P
Did anyone ever figure out exactly where the 4.1 track on the Blu-ray came from? It does seem odd to have a separate 4.1 if it's not actually based on the old 70mm mix.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Persianimmortal said:
It is possible some people have never bought any of the previous releases you know. I still only have the Laserdisc box set. ;)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, what are you watching those laserdiscs on?
I have really unfortunate results when trying to watch a laserdisc transfer on an HDTV.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have a modestly-sized HDTV (42"), but have never had any issues watching laserdiscs on it. They don't look great but I find them perfectly acceptable.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
At 65", it goes bad quickly with the lasers, unfortunately.
On a 22", I have no problems with them.
I've still kept several of my lasers due to the bonuses that never came to DVD or Blu, but I know what I'm in for when I spin one of those up.
I usually remind myself that I was happy with a small tube TV when I was a kid...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
ijthompson said:
I asked Charles de Lauzirika about that years ago, and he said they pretty much showed us every frame of footage they could find.
I'd love to see the deleted scenes in HD, in particular the handful of "finished" ones that were fully mixed in 5.1.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks