What's new

How to wire HDMI over 70 feet (1 Viewer)

Joe Lin

Auditioning
Hi everyone I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, so help me out of this isn't. I'm trying to wire about 70 feet worth of HDMI cables in between two rooms. Here are the parts I'm using: HTML signal booster: Amazon.com: Tripp Lite B122-000 HDMI Signal Booster Extender Repeater, 24Hz, HDMI: Electronics HDMI 35 feet cables: Amazon.com: Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (35 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]: Electronics HDMI female to female adapter: Amazon.com: Gold Plated HDMI Female to Female F/F Coupler Extender Adapter Connector by Atomic Market: Electronics HDMI 6.5 feet cables: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2-Pack - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters): Electronics This is how I have them setup:Macbook Pro 2013 -> 35 feet HDMI -> HDMI adapter –> 35 feet HDMI -> signal booster -> 6.5 feet HDMI -> TV I get a very intermittent signal on the TV. I once had about 10 seconds of clear 1080p signal. Typically I have no signal. In fact, with just the two 35 feet HDMI cables, I get a noisy, but much clearer signal than the setup above with the booster. Joe

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Joe -- I may not be entirely correct in this, but I believe that passive high speed HDMI cables are only certified to work at distances up to 25 feet. Some companies make longer ones, but there's no guarantee it will work. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I was researching this recently because I just bought a projector, and the way my room is set up, the easiest (also most hidden) way for me to run the cable was going around the walls, rather than running straight through the middle of the room. Problem was, that was over 25 feet. After a little bit of research, I learned that there are things called active HDMI cables, and that a company called Redmere developed a kind of HDMI cable that has a chip in it that helps boost the signal for longer distances. I bought a 50 foot cable from Monoprice that has Redmere, and it's worked perfectly in the few days that I've had it set up. It was a little more expensive than an HDMI cable without it, but to me it was worth it to have something guaranteed to work. They make them longer than 50 feet.

I'm wondering if a single redmere cable might work more reliably than a few shorter regular HDMIs that have been chained together.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Return all that if you can.70 feet of Cat 6 and two single cat HDMI extenders.And Josh...HDMI instead of cat to the projector? I haven't installed HDMI over 25ft...Ever.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Monoprice HDMI with Redmere cable. Working like a charm.If it was any kind of permanent I'd consider going another route, but for a cable that's sitting on the floor against the wall, it's doing exactly the job I need it to.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Joe Lin said:
Hi everyone I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, so help me out of this isn't. I'm trying to wire about 70 feet worth of HDMI cables in between two rooms. Here are the parts I'm using: HTML signal booster: Amazon.com: Tripp Lite B122-000 HDMI Signal Booster Extender Repeater, 24Hz, HDMI: Electronics HDMI 35 feet cables: Amazon.com: Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (35 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]: Electronics HDMI female to female adapter: Amazon.com: Gold Plated HDMI Female to Female F/F Coupler Extender Adapter Connector by Atomic Market: Electronics HDMI 6.5 feet cables: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2-Pack - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters): Electronics This is how I have them setup:Macbook Pro 2013 -> 35 feet HDMI -> HDMI adapter –> 35 feet HDMI -> signal booster -> 6.5 feet HDMI -> TV I get a very intermittent signal on the TV. I once had about 10 seconds of clear 1080p signal. Typically I have no signal. In fact, with just the two 35 feet HDMI cables, I get a noisy, but much clearer signal than the setup above with the booster. Joe
The problem is that you are boosting a crap signal. Sam is right ditch all that you are trying to cobble together and get this. http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-B126-1A1-Active-Extender/dp/B004878EQS/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405989910&sr=1-7&keywords=hdmi+extenderThe two active units is overkill as you could get the active and passive set but I don't see it under one sku. Either way stop trying to make something work and get the solution that does. I've been there this is much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks