Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fixing Warped Records

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:00 PM

Does anyone here have any suggestions for flattening warped records?  I recently picked up a Bob Segar album and did not notice that one corner of the album was warped/bent to one side.  Any way to fix this?  I have worked a good amount of the warp out but just not getting it where I want it to be so I can play it.  If it can be saved then good but I am also going to find out if the used record place will take it back. 

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:49 PM

The only way i know of, get a turntable weight that holds the record down. Or get a twist down for record(my old Dual has a twist down, I've saved some records with minor warpage with it).

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:57 PM

I used a hair dryer to heat the record carefully and I now have about 4 10" real to real tapes sitting on the record and will see how much that flattens the record.  If I can not return the record or get it close to flat I am considering just throwing it away, and using it as a learning experience!  You know your broke when $4 feels like alot of money  : :(

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,252 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 07:13 PM

I used a hair dryer to heat the record carefully and I now have about 4 10" real to real tapes sitting on the record and will see how much that flattens the record.  If I can not return the record or get it close to flat I am considering just throwing it away, and using it as a learning experience!  You know your broke when $4 feels like alot of money  : :(

A hair dryer can work, providing it is held not too close to the platter, and, when the wax is more pliable, you place a flat, heavy weight upon it for a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users