Fixing Warped Records

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dave Moritz, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Does anyone here have any suggestions for flattening warped records? I recently picked up a Bob Segar album and did not notice that one corner of the album was warped/bent to one side. Any way to fix this? I have worked a good amount of the warp out but just not getting it where I want it to be so I can play it. If it can be saved then good but I am also going to find out if the used record place will take it back.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The only way i know of, get a turntable weight that holds the record down. Or get a twist down for record(my old Dual has a twist down, I've saved some records with minor warpage with it).

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I used a hair dryer to heat the record carefully and I now have about 4 10" real to real tapes sitting on the record and will see how much that flattens the record. If I can not return the record or get it close to flat I am considering just throwing it away, and using it as a learning experience! You know your broke when $4 feels like alot of money : :(

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    A hair dryer can work, providing it is held not too close to the platter, and, when the wax is more pliable, you place a flat, heavy weight upon it for a time.